Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ISF - rustproofing

Hi Guys

I'm looking at how to do some preventive maintenance on my 2012 ISF and was considering getting the underneath panels and box sections waxolyed.  Being a 2012 car there is a lot of surface rust on a lot of the sections, but only what you'd expect for a car of this age.

Has anyone else done this on an ISF and got any thoughts on this?

Thanks

26 minutes ago, Grey One said:

Hi Guys

I'm looking at how to do some preventive maintenance on my 2012 ISF and was considering getting the underneath panels and box sections waxolyed.  Being a 2012 car there is a lot of surface rust on a lot of the sections, but only what you'd expect for a car of this age.

Has anyone else done this on an ISF and got any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Waxoyl properly applied will repel moisture and does not go hard. I experimented with a piece of bare sheet metal, coating one half with Waxoyl and leaving the other bare. After just a few days the difference was noticeable. After 3 months there was no rust on the coated part. My wife made me throw it away, otherwise the test would have been longer. What it will not do, is prevent rust from the inside. If water gets into sills for example - they will rust from the inside out. I sprayed a two-year old Mitsubishi Galant (1982) with Waxoyl - messy job but it kept it free from rust for many years. The only rust that came through was on the door seams. I took off the sill plate and poured it into the sill cavity, thinned down with white spirit. The only downside was the stink of white spirit for about two months! I have had my LS 400 coated by a garage but if you do it yourself, make sure you cover the exhaust with a cloth, otherwise your lovely ISF could become a bonfire. Yes I would recommend this product!

• Like 1

Thanks - I have used it on previous cars and had it applied by a professional twice.  Personally I don't get the hate for Waxoly, nor do I understand people who repaint it each year - properly applied it stays in place repelling water for years.

The ISF generally has an excellent rep for not rusting, but the underneath parts will rust on any car and are probably designed to do so as part of the car's overall 'consumer durable' expected lifespan.

I literally just had mine done with Dinitrol last week! There was light surface rust as expected. The rust was worse under the panels. It looks as though Lexus coated the areas that were not covered, but left some of those covered by panels, so some of the worst of the rust was hidden. However the chassis wasn't rotten and it was all easily treated.

I used a local garage who took off the exhaust, brakes, etc, to make sure they had total coverage. Bar the suspension springs and a rotted exhaust hanger, the car was very clean.

For reference I have a 2010 with 54k on the clock and it has spent it's previous life in Scotland.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Had mine done this week, the car was in fact very clean and mostly rust free underneath, but all the trays were taken off, cavities filled and everything undersealed with Dinitrol, very happy to have this done before the winter and for longer-term peace of mind.

• Like 2

Well mine was expensive, but you pays your money and takes your choice for what is a one-off job on the car.  There is a national Waxoyl franchise company I was looking at that would do the job in one done in a day for cheaper, but I really had misgivings about them as it would clearly be just spraying the gunk over the rust that may have been there, so decided to go for a Dinitrol place instead that was more expensive, but a thorough job was done for peace of mind, and, ultimately, a good job to last the lifetime of the car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, Grey One said:

Well mine was expensive, but you pays your money and takes your choice for what is a one-off job on the car.  There is a national Waxoyl franchise company I was looking at that would do the job in one done in a day for cheaper, but I really had misgivings about them as it would clearly be just spraying the gunk over the rust that may have been there, so decided to go for a Dinitrol place instead that was more expensive, but a thorough job was done for peace of mind, and, ultimately, a good job to last the lifetime of the car.

And the cost was??……. Would consider it soon BUT have spent a small fortune with paint correction n ceramic coating this year already, be nice to have an idea of cost please 🤔