Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Legal Beagles out there?

As you say wrong on so many accounts. They even mention its suitable for drivers who lost their driving licence :smile1:... where down the back of the sofa !! 

Notwithstanding its still a motor vehicle- which is a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads. As such Insurance is required if used on a road or other public place and a licence for on the road.... and if you're disqualified you cannot drive ' a motor vehicle' on the road. 

Nobody has thought about these electric scooters which are ever so popular and a danger to everybody. There is no age restriction or qualification required for the rider, I see you boys whizzing around on them on the road without any safety gear for themselves or any concern for drivers/cars.

What these guys are selling is indeed allowed to be used on UK roads just like any other power assisted bicycle. It is classed as a bike as it only boasts a nominal power output of 250W and does not exceed speeds of 18mph, provided that those scary looking pedals do actually allow you to drive the wheels through manual input.

The current state of the UK law forbids any privately owned electric scooter to be legally allowed on the road, that includes all these used by youngsters in virtually every town I see. The only way for anyone to currently ride one is to use one of the rental companies running trials, this requires them to ensure a few measures are in place such as minimum riders age, speed limit and no pavement riding. 

It's very bizarre how long the UK is taking to catch up with the rest of the modern countries to adapt laws regarding E-Scooters. They're an absolutely great alternative to the more conventional mode of transport and I for one would like to see more of an effort to legalise these on our roads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Error- said:

What these guys are selling is indeed allowed to be used on UK roads just like any other power assisted bicycle. It is classed as a bike as it only boasts a nominal power output of 250W and does not exceed speeds of 18mph, provided that those scary looking pedals do actually allow you to drive the wheels through manual input.

The current state of the UK law forbids any privately owned electric scooter to be legally allowed on the road, that includes all these used by youngsters in virtually every town I see. The only way for anyone to currently ride one is to use one of the rental companies running trials, this requires them to ensure a few measures are in place such as minimum riders age, speed limit and no pavement riding. 

It's very bizarre how long the UK is taking to catch up with the rest of the modern countries to adapt laws regarding E-Scooters. They're an absolutely great alternative to the more conventional mode of transport and I for one would like to see more of an effort to legalise these on our roads.

Thanks I stand corrected, can I borrow your user name:biggrin:. I simply can't keep up with all this stuff tbf.  I do agree e 'things' are a viable mode of transport, however they get more adverse comments (e scooters) in the local rag than cyclists and that's going some. 

• Like 1

so what's the law/rules about disability type scooters on the roads and footpaths ?  tax, insurance, driving licence too ...............  let alone age restrictions

I mention this coz today I saw, thankfully coming down the other side of the road, such a mobility vehicle with about a half mile of road traffic behind it going veeeerrryyyy slooowllly

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links