Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A mechanic came to my house to do some repairs. They left the Battery off, shut everything up and left.  I now cannot get back into the car.  Is there any way of releasing the bonnet from outside the car so I can reattach the Battery to get the electrics working again?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Ty Corcoran said:

A mechanic came to my house to do some repairs. They left the battery off, shut everything up and left.  I now cannot get back into the car.  

Bizarre behaviour!  I presume you discovered this after the mechanic had left and been paid?  Sounds like a stiff email is called for. And find another mechanic.  After all, the question arises as to what else they may have forgotten to do!

Many years ago I picked up my wife’s Citroen 2CV after a service and brake overhaul.  Driving it back home, the pedal travel started to increase alarmingly.  When I checked, one of the rear bleed nipples hadn’t been tightened up and fluid was pumping out.

That resulted in a blunt, albeit rather one sided, telephone exchange with the Dealer.  

• Like 2

Mechanical key in the door lock. Pull up bonnet lock. Did this when my 430 had a dead dead Battery so the central looking would not work. Charge the Battery slowly over 1-2 days and all should be OK.

I locked myself out two years ago whilst down in Devon Green flag guy from local garage used two inflatable rubber cushions starting at the top corner and working  gradually towards the mirror he made enough room to insert a wire and pull the inside door handle less than ten minutes and the only thing that was needed was a tug on the window frame inwards as it is pulled out of line during the operation . These cushions are available at motor factors on eBay.

19 hours ago, Ty Corcoran said:

Tried the key in both front door locks, nothing.  Getting to the point of pricing up a new window

How did you do that? There's only one lock and it's on the drivers door. Is this an Ls430?

3 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

How did you do that? There's only one lock and it's on the drivers door. Is this an Ls430?

Ah just checked. You've a 97 Ls400 so may well be different

About to give in but tried again this morning and....  Now both doors open to let some air in to a very damp interior, mats in the washing machine and Battery on charge! Why the lock worked this mornig after so many tries I don't know why and I don'r care but it's going to get some loving attention today

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ty Corcoran said:

About to give in but tried again this morning and....  Now both doors open to let some air in to a very damp interior, mats in the washing machine and battery on charge! Why the lock worked this mornig after so many tries I don't know why and I don'r care but it's going to get some loving attention today

Happy days!

After aday on charge the Battery had decided it is dead so new correct sized is one on order. I am still a happy camper.  Door locks got some attention and now operating without a hitch and the sunshine has dried the car nicely. Given her another airing this morning to make quite sure.  mats dry and clean and waiting to go back in after a quick vaccum. Thanks for your help and patience.

• 3 weeks later...

This happened on my wife's Mercedes SLK. The mechanical lock was solid. Plenty of WD40 over 6 hours and a gentle gentle wiggle and slowly it started working. I suspect it was 12 years since the mechanical lock had been used, (probably from the factory) as everyone uses a blipper. The moral might be a squirt of WD40 ever 6 months.