Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello and a question about UCF20 radio

Hi, new member here. Ive just bought a UCF20 Celsior which is on its way over from Japan right now. One of the things i know will need sorting is the radio and having looked at pictures on google it appears the UK spec LS400 radios have an additional button with the letters "NF" on it. Im wondering if someone could advise what the "NF" button does and do you think its possible to stick the UK spec radio in the JDM Celsior and for it to work?

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the club, I do believe that the only station you can get on a celsior radio is radio 2 well thats what I have been able to get out of mine.

My celsior came with a sony minidisc player which for me is the only time I have ever owned one (I am told they have great sound Quality) but who the ...... has sony minidiscs just laying around the house.

There was a recent thread about a stereo upgrade which you can find here

I opted for the Bluetooth unit so I can run my spotify though the cars speakers (secretly impressed that the cars skip track buttons work), It has worked out a treat and I can not believe that I did not do it years ago.

No idea what the NF button is.

I look forward to getting an update on your car, what company did you use to import it and how was the process?

Yes you are right the only uk radio station that aligns with the japanese radio frequency range is radio 2. Nothing wrong with radio 2 but im more of a Heart FM kind of guy 😄

I would like to keep the car standard so i will buy a UK radio if i know it will work correctly, its just figuring out what the NF button does. Hopefully someone will know and see this thread.

I will do a thread on the car once ive got it if there is interest, i have some photos from the auction and of the car at the port prior to being loaded onto the ship. Ive used a company called Pacific Coast Auto, this is the second car ive imported and a good friend has also used this company in the past too. I can write up an in depth process of the steps to go through if that's something of benefit to people 🙂

NF = Non-Fading. Normally refers to any speakers that are not fade-able (front to rear balance) such as Subwoofers and centre speakers.

However, the NF button only seems to appear on the 89-94 Pioneer radios.
The 1997 (Nakamichi or Lexus Premium Sound System) radios don't have it.

Providing the radio unit has a conventional aerial socket you can fit a “Frequency Changer” 

This little device moves the Japanese FM frequencies up electronically into the UK band of 88-108Mhz.

Just google it and you’ll find them.

The only downside is the radio display will show the incorrect frequency but still pretty easy to find what you want by listening.

On 5/27/2021 at 1:55 PM, nicegums said:

Hi, new member here. Ive just bought a UCF20 Celsior which is on its way over from Japan right now. One of the things i know will need sorting is the radio and having looked at pictures on google it appears the UK spec LS400 radios have an additional button with the letters "NF" on it. Im wondering if someone could advise what the "NF" button does and do you think its possible to stick the UK spec radio in the JDM Celsior and for it to work?

I'll double check when I get back in mine but I'm pretty sure the NF button is a version of RDS. I know that if it's on then I don't lose the station.

And @steve2006 is correct. The frequency changers do work. I had one attached to the JDM head unit in my IS 300.

And good to see you Rob. I'm over in Sheffield so I'll keep an eye out for your Celsior :wink: