Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension issues

Just been to Lexus with new to me RX450h 2010 model with under 60k on the clock. They quoted me a small fortune for few things. One of them is Bluetooth module (almost 2k), but more worryingly - front suspension arm bushes split from housing advise replacement and rear trailing arm bushes creaking/squeaking advise replacement at around £2750. Quite costly repairs. Does anyone here have any advice on replacing this outside of Lexus and experience with non OEM parts for suspension?

39 minutes ago, abtx said:

Just been to Lexus with new to me RX450h 2010 model with under 60k on the clock. They quoted me a small fortune for few things. One of them is bluetooth module (almost 2k), but more worryingly - front suspension arm bushes split from housing advise replacement and rear trailing arm bushes creaking/squeaking advise replacement at around £2750. Quite costly repairs. Does anyone here have any advice on replacing this outside of Lexus and experience with non OEM parts for suspension?

It's an 11-year old car - why would you take it to a Lexus main dealer for work like that?

All cars have suspension and all garages/mechanics can work on it. If you don't already have a good, reputable and trusted garage, ask friends and family who they use and go there. If parts prove to be a bit of a problem, a lot of people on these forums use https://www.rockauto.com/ and even though they're based in the USA, it works out cheaper than buying here.

Is the Bluetooth faulty or missing, because as far as I'm aware it wasn't an optional extra; even my old 2005 RX300 had it. Maybe try a breakers on eBay?

• Like 2

Didn't expect anything major to come up, brought it in for geometry and that's the only thing I'm having done there. I've looked up Bluetooth modules on eBay, booked my local indie I used before to have a look at the suspension. Thanks for the link and advice. I'll surely not go to the main dealer for anything other than Battery health checks 😄 

• Like 3

Al already mentioned by Herbs, before agreeing on any work to be carried out I would bring the car to a trusted mechanic/garage to get it checked. I would not be surprised if the trusted mechanic does not find anything wrong with the car or maybe little repair to be done. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they would. We'll find out next Thursday. But the car drives well, suspension feel pretty great - although stiffer than my GS430 I had before. Just few very faint squeaks every now and then. The dealer put these fixes as amber. If it's the time to replace them I'm sure my indie will charge far less what Lexus want. And I can live w/o Bluetooth for now. Considered putting in Grom Vline anyway.

1 hour ago, abtx said:

The dealer put these fixes as amber

I think instructing your indy mechanic to take the car for a fresh MOT and to be there chatting with the MOT Tester at the time ( mine does that so I guess many will ) to check thru' with him/her the enormity :wink3: of any issues arising right now or into the period before the following MOT a year hence, should give you some greater confidence on the state and credibility of the " amber " warnings by the dealer

You'll probably save yourself a few £000's

Malc 

• Like 2

Hi Just had my MOT done on my RX450h 2010 model at Lexus Bristol, part of my 3yr service plan. It seems both rear lower suspension arms front bushes show excessive wear/splitting! Total price from their quote is parts £672, part numbers= L48760-48060 ARM ASSY, TRAIL and L48760-48090 ARM ASSY, TRAIL.

Their labour charge is £174 an hour for 4hrs labour, £696.17 total £1,368.17 all up!

This post comes at a fortunate time as I checked out Herbie's link to  https://www.rockauto.com/  and to my surprise with FedEx delivery charge it come to £187.38 total......for parts, a saving of £484.62.......! 

Have not ordered parts from USA before are custom duties payable, any other pitfalls?

jack

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2ddesign said:

Have not ordered parts from USA before are custom duties payable, any other pitfalls?

If you select FedEx then VAT and duties are paid up front so there are no extra charges or admin fees.

The only pitfall is the cost to return an item.

Hi just looked at Trailing Arm Bushing Kit from USA.......https://www.armstrongdistributors.com/products/lexus-rx-09-17-rear-trailing-arm-bushing-kit-psb-694

At aprox £281....... purchase and delivery cost..... this seems a cheaper alternative to purchasing the whole rear lower suspension arms

Screenshot 2021-05-30 at 16.05.37.png