Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid Vs Diesel MPG

Joeb359

Hello all, hope youre all well 

i just wanted to open a discussion on how close Hybrid vs Diesel MPGs are? (my main aim is to purchase a car and save as much as i can on fuel in the next few years)

in particular id like to hear from owners who've had both diesel and hybrid (ct 200h)...
are the hybrid figures THAT much better than diesel from what you've seen/owned?

i could save alot of money buying a diesel car with a similar engine and overall specs so just wanted to get some opinions from people on this forum.

of course, most hybrids have no road tax so theres an advantage there
do you think they will start to increase road tax for diesel cars in the next few years to try and phase them out ?

thanks

Joe

8 minutes ago, Joeb359 said:

Hello all, hope youre all well 

i just wanted to open a discussion on how close Hybrid vs Diesel MPGs are? (my main aim is to purchase a car and save as much as i can on fuel in the next few years)

in particular id like to hear from owners who've had both diesel and hybrid...
are the hybrid figures THAT much better than diesel from what you've seen/owned?

i could save alot of money buying a diesel car with a similar engine and overall specs so just wanted to get some opinions from people on this forum.

of course, most hybrids have no road tax so theres an advantage there
do you think they will start to increase road tax for diesel cars in the next few years to try and phase them out ?

thanks

Joe

I owned a VW Tiguan AWD diesel for about 40k miles. Over that period I got mid to high 30s mpg. I’ve now owned two NX Hybrids - about the same size and the same type of vehicle - for about 30k miles and I achieve mid to high 30s mpg. 

In my experience, the diesel is more economical at motorway speeds, and the hybrid claws back that advantage around town and at lower speeds, when the Battery operates most.

Personal view - if you’re doing a lot of motorway journeys you’ll get better economy from a diesel than from a hybrid. However, you then need to factor in reliability and additional costs - you won’t have DPF or ERG issues with a hybrid.  

• Like 6

@First_Lexus
thank you very much for your input

yes, mines will probably be a mixture of both but perhaps a little more A - B type driving locally

youre right, ill need to factor all the additional savings as well

My wife's 2013 VW Golf 1.6 Diesel has very similar fuel consumption to my CT. Both in the motorway and around town.

I'd say my CT edges the Golf around town and on B roads.

The Golf slightly edges the CT on motorway. 

But the fuel for the CT is cheaper if course.

• Like 2

Our 2.0tdi DSG 2005 Golf was cheaper around town as well as on longer tours. When not going faster than speed limits the VW used 5 on highways on tour from Spain to Denmark. Never tried that in our CT, but believe it could be close. In town where we live the Golf was around 5.5 and always less than 6. The CT never come down to 6 in town. Mostly 6.5 - 7.

The hills here are not good for hybrid as going down just a short while and the hybrid Battery is full and power is from there of wasted when braking, while going up the engine is running constant.

Here diesel is cheaper than gasoline.

There are other drawbacks on the diesel such as black smoke coming from exhaust pipe when going up, but with no other interests than consumption, diesel win here.

Not fair to compare a 2005 diesel with a 2016 hybrid. Comfort the CT win 10 to 0.

Have had many other cars, but before fuel was something put in the tank when needed. After retiring economy does count also.

• Like 1

I have come from a Volvo C30 Diesel & a V40 Diesel, the C30 was disappointing at around early 40's mpg on average, the V40 was better at late 40's mpg on average.

I will say though both were the higher powered models so consumption would not be great.

In my IS300h I am averaging similar to the V40 at around late 40's MPG, but I do not tear around everywhere & make the most of electric as much as possible.

What I will say is the Lexus is the most comfortable & quite car I have owned.

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I owned a VW Tiguan AWD diesel for about 40k miles. Over that period I got mid to high 30s mpg. I’ve now owned two NX Hybrids - about the same size and the same type of vehicle - for about 30k miles and I achieve mid to high 30s mpg. 

In my experience, the diesel is more economical at motorway speeds, and the hybrid claws back that advantage around town and at lower speeds, when the battery operates most.

Personal view - if you’re doing a lot of motorway journeys you’ll get better economy from a diesel than from a hybrid. However, you then need to factor in reliability and additional costs - you won’t have DPF or ERG issues with a hybrid.  

I totally agree with what Ed says. Ownership is much more than mpg. I had a very economical Octavia estate but the Turbo went. All the savings on fuel I made that year were lost. Emissions are now having a very big bearing on the ownership of cars. Modern diesels can have DPF issues which can cost a lot of money to rectify, along with the problems being experienced by Adblue users. As far as I am concerned the only way forward, for now, is a hybrid. Even petrol cars having emission issues with engine management lights coming on. The writing is on the wall, even if others refuse to admit it. My next vehicle will probably be a Lexus or Toyota hybrid. You pays your money you takes your chance!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

My next vehicle will probably be a Lexus or Toyota hybrid.

I hope that when the CT is to be retired, some better ways to travel will be available than cars with batteries (that are hard on the environment to make) and fossil fuel engines. Hope for some kind of combustion engine spewing out drinking water to irrigate plants on the way, and that the fuel to these engines can be made without damaging the earth. May not happen in the lifetime of any of us, but can still hope.

The human race has destroyed so much with its greed for power, that someday the human race could have been run. Pink Floyd?

• Like 1

i'd have hybrid every time,i have a GS300h and last year a mercedes driver only stopped

coming off the motorway when he hit the side of my car , my courtesy car for 9 weeks was an

Audi A5 S-line 2ltr diesel 40 what a horrible car, it sounded like a tractor whilst driving

it returned less mpg from the 2ltr diesel over my 2.5ltr hybrid petrol my hybrid was more 

refined to drive so smooth with it being the E-cvt transmission over the Audi auto box

and better pick up.the only thing i liked about the audi was returning the key to enterprise.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 200h said:

i'd have hybrid every time,i have a GS300h and last year a mercedes driver only stopped

coming off the motorway when he hit the side of my car , my courtesy car for 9 weeks was an

Audi A5 S-line 2ltr diesel 40 what a horrible car, it sounded like a tractor whilst driving

it returned less mpg from the 2ltr diesel over my 2.5ltr hybrid petrol my hybrid was more 

refined to drive so smooth with it being the E-cvt transmission over the Audi auto box

and better pick up.the only thing i liked about the audi was returning the key to enterprise.

Audi - and VAG in general - use the DSG auto gearbox. Aside from the dreadful reliability issues it’s very jerky and hesitant. Regardless, the motoring media seem to overlook the known flaws and instead choose to criticise the beautifully smooth Lexus eCVT. 

One has to wonder why…as I don’t know any VAG owners who are really happy with their cars. Lexus owners on the other hand…

• Like 1

I,ve had a 2006 Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi previously for 7 years (since new).It was a great car and the best diesel engine VAG built.Excellent on motorways but also great round town.The only thing that went wrong in those years was the Dual Mass Flywheel (known problem) which was converted to a solid flywheel under warranty.I did 70K with that car getting around 55-60 mpg.

My CT is roughly the same mpg but overall using the Fuelly app i,ve had an all time best of 73mpg.Obviously mine is a pre facelift so its zero tax.Silly idea that the exact same car from 2017 on is £140 tax?

Overall i prefer the CT for its luxury and so comfortable.As said previously think about future repairs on diesels such as DPF,EGR,DMF.A friend of mine has a 2015 Nissan X Trail 1.6 diesel and its nothing but trouble with constant engine management lights and the DPF which can never complete its regen cycle.Unlike older reliable diesels all the new Gen diesels are just total trouble and a nightmare when they fail,which is often.

I,ve had my CT since new (2011) and have never had anything go wrong so far (110K miles).Think wisely before making your choice.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Totally agree. The transmission in the Lexus/Toyota is a gem.

Agreed! My wife is on her 2nd CT (2017) and the transmission is more  refined than her previous 2013 model , with just as good economy (a minimum of 50mpg). 100% reliable and so civilised!

Incidentally, yesterday we took a taxi ride in a new Toyota Prius which still has the same 1.8 engine etc. as the CT. Don't know about its performance but it was delightfully comfortable and quiet, you really can't beat the Toyota/Lexus hybrid system

On 5/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

I totally agree with what Ed says. Ownership is much more than mpg. I had a very economical Octavia estate but the Turbo went. All the savings on fuel I made that year were lost. Emissions are now having a very big bearing on the ownership of cars. Modern diesels can have DPF issues which can cost a lot of money to rectify, along with the problems being experienced by Adblue users. As far as I am concerned the only way forward, for now, is a hybrid. Even petrol cars having emission issues with engine management lights coming on. The writing is on the wall, even if others refuse to admit it. My next vehicle will probably be a Lexus or Toyota hybrid. You pays your money you takes your chance!

Hi guys a new member on here, I have a 2017 E350d V6, and am an active member on the Mercedes forum (sorry🙁), but have just persuaded my elderly retired parents to purchase NX300h Luxury 2018, but there are plenty of owners on the Mercedes forum with owners having issue with Nox Sensors, and adblue and dpf, so what spacewagon52 says is correct, so factoring that, and also the noise of a diesel car, (unless it’s a V6 of course), then if the mpg of a hybrid and a diesel is more a less the same, then hybrid would be a better choice. Also in London a residents permit for a diesel car also has a added supplement, and diesel also being more expensive the petrol. Low mileage drivers should probably not get a diesel, due to the dpf and adblue issue, my retired father does around 3k miles a year, this was the reason I told him to go for the NX, rather then anything else.

• Like 7

On 5/29/2021 at 9:08 PM, stormchaser said:

Obviously mine is a pre facelift so its zero tax.Silly idea that the exact same car from 2017 on is £140 tax?

I would not complain about tax on the CT as my 2004 Prius with a smaller engine costs 413 euros in tax. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, serbarry said:

I would not complain about tax on the CT as my 2004 Prius with a smaller engine costs 413 euros in tax. 

Do not know what tax is here; if any. Have not yet received an invoice.

The Golf 2.0tdi DSG was 160€.

A petrol engine is easier and much cheaper to repair than a diesel engine. Fuel wise the difference is very small.

Consider only the cost of maintaining the diesel fuel injectors let alone the cost. Some injectors cannot be maitained and when they develop a problem you have to replace them. Similarly for the high pressure fuel pump. Just ask their price.

Diesel engines last for many thousands of miles if they operate continuously and on motorway cruising. If they are used for city driving and short trips, you would be lucky if they last about 100000 miles.

When a diesel engine loses compression it will not start and you will need to overhaul the engine, replace the cylinder liners, new pistons, grind the crankshaft, new cylinder head valves, valve guides....... It will probably cost more than the value of the car.

Refinement wise between petrol and diesel engines, simply there is no comparison.

Chris

• Like 1

I have a 4 tonne motorhome with a 2.8 litre diesel. Averaged 28mpg over a three month tour of Scandinavia.

Took my 2 tonne 3.5 litre Lexus petrol hybrid to Switzerland and averaged 34 (with a top box as the boot is so rubbish). Have managed 46mpg on a 150 mile trip by driving at 55.

Cruising speed has everything to do with it. If my motorhome could reach 80 mph then the mpg would probably be under 10mpg. Drive slower and any car will give you better figures.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

I have a 4 tonne motorhome with a 2.8 litre diesel. Averaged 28mpg over a three month tour of Scandinavia.

Took my 2 tonne 3.5 litre Lexus petrol hybrid to Switzerland and averaged 34 (with a top box as the boot is so rubbish). Have managed 46mpg on a 150 mile trip by driving at 55.

Cruising speed has everything to do with it. If my motorhome could reach 80 mph then the mpg would probably be under 10mpg. Drive slower and any car will give you better figures.

Very true. Big difference in mpg between 60mph and 70mph.

• Like 1

Sad person that I am, I keep detailed records of mpg.  Our last vehicle - Volvo v50 drivE version - we completed 87000 miles and the average mpg was 56.43 over 7 years, one motorway journey achieving 72.12 miles, but most journeys around mid 60's mpg - the lowest winter mpg mainly local journeys in cold weather was 45.59 mpg.

We've had the 2015 premier CT for 18 months, lockdown means rare journeys.  In that period we have covered 12,800 miles with an average mpg of 50.14, highest was 56.47 and the lowest winter local journey was slightly better than the volvo 45.86 mpg.

I would have retained the Volvo but for an injury to my left arm making it painful to change gear.  Both vehicles extremely comfortable, both very reliable.  Plus for the Volvo was extra space in the estate version - but we did incur more costs overall because of repairs needed (car was 10 years old when we exchanged it)

Lexus is free of road tax, Volvo was £20 per annum.  INSURANCE on Lexus for me is £200 per annum more.  Don't know why that should be.

Should also compare with diesel focus which we had for 43k miles and average was 50.46 with a high 63.87 journey and low 43.11 for winter local journeys, so MPG figures very similar to our lovely LEXUS, and the Lexus is far more comfortable!

• Like 3

I recon in the near future the tax will change yr on yr with diesels by government to get people out of them ...and into hybrid/ electric ...a dreadful engine forced on us by the EU....(just my opinion)

• Like 1

thank you so so much for all the responses - really appreciate the advice and comments 🙂

it seems that the MPGs are really similar and its worth paying extra for hydrib/lexus
id imagine they will start hiking up the tax costs of diesels in the near future, its inevitable 

im in the market for a 67 plate lexus so ill expect to pay the tax but i dont mind that since im coming from an Audi s3 which is £166 for 6 months. 'kin hell 🤔.
just turned 40 so my boy racer days are truly over now (i never want to drive a manual car again in my life haha)
- ill look into the insurance costs for the CT200 today but id imagine they may be a little higher than normal because of the recent CAT thefts?

the CAT thefts have gone up around my areas (just like everywhere else in the UK) but im going to make sure that i get the CATLOCK installed from the dealer and just take the chance and hope the damn thieves bypass the car and look elsewhere. 
do you guys know if lexus install an additional alarm where any sudden movement will set off an alarm? (or perhaps a hardwired Dash Cam could also be good?)
im definitely getting a flood light installed outside my house with a motion detector (perhaps one of these Ring Floodlights just as a deterrent)

also, does anyone have any links for getting the best MPGs out of these hybrids? i.e. when its best to use certain settings. ECO blah blah. types of driving that are best when using hybrids etc?
its probably best i search on youtube i guess

thank you again
my Audi is getting picked up tomorrow so im in the market today for a lexus hybrid 🙂

• Like 3

Best advice for hybrid driving.

Use the petrol engine to accelerate up to speed, NOT the electric Battery. Then ease off the pedal a tad.

That way you have max energy left for helping propel you along.

• Like 1