Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid Vs Diesel MPG

Joeb359

Forget manually selecting EV mode unless moving car on/off your drive. All you’ll do is deplete the Battery very quickly and the engine will have to run for longer to charge it up. You would just be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Let the car sort itself out. That said I do keep mine in Eco mode most of the time.

As mentioned above, accelerate and back off and anticipate what’s ahead so you are not constantly slowing down and speeding up.

• Like 1

Keep the one we have in normal mode. Except when late, then sport gain a couple of minutes.

Believe Lexus/Toyota know so much about the cars they have veen building so long that when they call something normal, then it just could be - normal.

Our Ct is mainly local use and returns 58/60mpg, the main benefit of the Hybrid over our other vehicles though is Maintenance costs.

There are no troublesome components fitted like Alternator, Starter motor, or the need for expensive cam belt replacements etc etc. the Lexus is pretty much bullet proof. Ours is over 7 years old now and apart from it's yearly service items nothing has needed fixing no mot advisories Zilch Nada 😁

By comparison my so called high end vehicles are well up the Richter scale with component failures. 

Owning a CT is like the best dog you ever had 🤣

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Poundy said:

There are no troublesome components fitted like Alternator, Starter motor, or the need for expensive cam belt replacements etc etc. the Lexus is pretty much bullet proof.

No starter motor? How does the motor start to fill the Battery?

No cam-belt? I know MB use chain instead of belt, but my old MR2 Spyder (same type engine 1.8) needed a new cam-belt.

Except from that. Absolutely correct. Nice car the CT.

image.thumb.jpeg.3f7c1b481088e4af761d9745e1bfd625.jpeg

26 minutes ago, serbarry said:

If I am not wrong the 12V battery starts the car and when it is in ready the HV battery takes over. 

Starts the car as in powers the entry system and boots the computers correct but the engine is spun-up and started using one of the electric motors (MG1?) powered by the traction (HV) Battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

You are wrong Sergio old pal.

I`ll let Professor Herbie answer this authoritatively in his professional manner, much more succinctly than I can.

I am sure he will be the right one to answer questions. Being diplomatic is maybe not what we 2 are.

image.thumb.png.3711fa951fd52af85eed645133ddcd12.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Starts the car as in powers the entry system and boots the computers correct but the engine is spun-up and started using one of the electric motors (MG1?) powered by the traction (HV) battery.

No cam-belt in the CT engine?

7 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

No idea about the CT but it's a chain on my RC300h

That said a quick Google would suggest the CT also uses a chain

• Like 1

Copied from another post -:

No timing belt, no starter motor, no generator, no accessory belt, no reverse gear, not even a true transmission.

No wonder nothing breaks on these cars! 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Poundy said:

Copied from another post -:

No timing belt, no starter motor, no generator, no accessory belt, no reverse gear, not even a true transmission.

No wonder nothing breaks on these cars! 😃

Hopefully....my Full 60 service is due within the next month. Think I'm going to ask for a drive in a UX250h to see what I think.

• Like 1

Yeah 2ZR FXE are chain driven and is modified to Atkinson cycle from the older 2ZR FE engine found in the older Corolla and Auris.Very old school engine but totally reliable and economical Just how i like it.

As said its fired up by the electric motor at a higher speed than a starter motor hence its instant start.

Even to pull the head off one of these is dead easy to do when you need to do a head gasket (so the Americans think haha) and strip the engine when it throws a rod out the side (yet again US fairytales).

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

No idea about the CT but it's a chain on my RC300h

That said a quick Google would suggest the CT also uses a chain

If it is a chain it probably would last longer than the rest of the car (and us too). While working with MB a taxi (190D) had gone 1.000.000km before needing a new chain.

The MR2 Spyder needed a cam-belt and in the MR2 it was a 1.8 motor.

7 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

No starter motor? How does the motor start to fill the battery?

No cam-belt? I know MB use chain instead of belt, but my old MR2 Spyder (same type engine 1.8) needed a new cam-belt.

Except from that. Absolutely correct. Nice car the CT.

image.thumb.jpeg.3f7c1b481088e4af761d9745e1bfd625.jpeg

The W30 MR2 used the 1ZZ FED engine 1.8.Much different to the CT 2ZR FXE.

3 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Toyota moved away from belt timed engines around 2000 (for new designs) which meant practically all vehicles are chain driven from 2008 onwards.

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

The MR2 Spyder needed a cam-belt and in the MR2 it was a 1.8 motor.

The series III MR2 (the MR-S) uses a 1.8 ZZ engine which is different from the ZR series engine used in the CT but it is also chain driven. Those chains could stretch and therefore could need a replacement but they do not have timing belts.

The series I and series II MR2s (4A-GE and 3S-GE / 3S-GTE engines) use timing belts.

Having owned previously a Fiat Punto, Seat Ibiza, Audis - A3/A4/A6, Saab 9-3 and VW Polo. All were diesel engined except the Punto and Polo.

Nothing has been as reliable, as "safe" feeling, as relaxing to drive and also more enjoyable to take pride of and take time/care over washing and drying than our.......yesssss of course CT200h! :yes:

Lexus Birmingham has been the best dealership experience so far! (Also got my free fuel the other day as they promised too!) (As per another thread if you remember!)

Wife though isn't happy. She loves sitting in it. Won't drive it. Thinks I'm obsessive around it. Misses our old Polo!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sled Driver said:

Having owned previously a Fiat Punto, Seat Ibiza, Audis - A3/A4/A6, Saab 9-3 and VW Polo. All were diesel engined except the Punto and Polo.

Nothing has been as reliable, as "safe" feeling, as relaxing to drive and also more enjoyable to take pride of and take time/care over washing and drying than our.......yesssss of course CT200h! :yes:

Lexus Birmingham has been the best dealership experience so far! (Also got my free fuel the other day as they promised too!) (As per another thread if you remember!)

Wife though isn't happy. She loves sitting in it. Won't drive it. Thinks I'm obsessive around it. Misses our old Polo!

My wife will not drive the LS 400 - gives all sorts of excuses but I think she knows it is my baby.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

My wife will not drive the LS 400 - gives all sorts of excuses but I think she knows it is my baby.

We blokes need an interest for ourselves! I share my love of military aviation with the wife. But Luther (that's the CT) he's my boy! Besides she has our two cats to fuss over! 😊

43 minutes ago, Sled Driver said:

We blokes need an interest for ourselves! I share my love of military aviation with the wife. But Luther (that's the CT) he's my boy! Besides she has our two cats to fuss over! 😊

Somewhat unusual to have a wife into military interests - you are lucky to be able to share that with your spouse. Regarding interests, I am a real butterfly who never seems to land for very long. I would consider my interests to be eclectic, where I am a jack of all trades but master of none!

• Like 1

thank you everyone for your comments. 
i will definitely look into driving styles and do my research based on what is said here

had an initial conversation with a dealership today 

68 plate (17k miles), premier edition. black. looks nice with leather etc. (£17.500)

absolutely no budging on price he said (our network prices are final and cannot be altered blah blah) 😁
enquired about a cat lock - 250 fitted which i understand is the same price all over the uk (im going to ask him about door stickers as that would be a deterrent as well)

enquired about this invisible cat marking (free service) - he said the dealership is aware of it and do have the marking pens. apparently they're now waiting for lexus to advise further about registration (he said theyll have an answer with the next week or so) 

also enquired about recent cat thefts and how thieves are cutting the grill and disabling the alarm - he said he couldn't do anything about that or advise a solution
i guess a tilt shift alarm is out of the question then since theyll probably just disable that too lol.

said the service and MOT were due in september so they'll make sure both are done before delivery
will also add on another years warranty and road sides assistance (as the current warranty is due to expire in sept)

[1] do you guys know of a way i can check the insurance history of the number plate? i just want to double check that a cat theft hasn't already happened 
[2] in your personal experience, what has been the cost of a 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k service? would that just be an intermediate and major service? (i.e just two different costs)

thank you all!

Joe

The Catloc kit comes with 2 stickers for the windows and the fitter will be marking the cat before fitting the Catloc cover.The dealer should then automatically register the car after.I know mine did.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links