Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all 

I'm looking into purchasing a 2013 GS450H with 150,000 miles on the clock. The car comes with full Lexus service history where it has been serviced every single year (including the hybrid Battery health checks).  1 previous owner from new who did mainly motorway miles. no advisories on the MOT either. Overall condition of the car is excellent for the age and mileage.  

I'm a bit nervous about the high mileage but take comfort in the fact that a) it's a lexus and b) its been very well looked after and c) the hybird Battery will be warranted for 15 years (provided I get it yearly serviced). Anything I need to look out for? I would expect this engine can do another 150k very easily provided it is well cared for. Thoughts?

Many thanks 

6 hours ago, Apoc101 said:

I would expect this engine can do another 150k very easily provided it is well cared for. Thoughts?

You said it yourself......

But look out for shock absorbers (they get to leak and are expensive), exhaust (they last a long time but get to rust and again expensive, brake calipers, especially rears - they seize but can usually be freed so service rather than replace, but a Lexus dealer will just want to replace - at your expense!

Apart from those - just the usual things with any used car at that mileage - but will probably be in much better condition than most makes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Apoc101 said:

Hi all 

I'm looking into purchasing a 2013 GS450H with 150,000 miles on the clock. The car comes with full Lexus service history where it has been serviced every single year (including the hybrid battery health checks).  1 previous owner from new who did mainly motorway miles. no advisories on the MOT either. Overall condition of the car is excellent for the age and mileage.  

I'm a bit nervous about the high mileage but take comfort in the fact that a) it's a lexus and b) its been very well looked after and c) the hybird battery will be warranted for 15 years (provided I get it yearly serviced). Anything I need to look out for? I would expect this engine can do another 150k very easily provided it is well cared for. Thoughts?

Many thanks 

If it comes from a Lexus Dealer you will probably receive 12  months warranty.

If it comes from a Motor Trader you will receive the 6 month Statutory Warranty

You will have 7 years left on the Hybrid Battery Warranty, but it must be serviced at Lexus for that to be free. I might be wrong but you may not be able to have the HB checked annually without having the service at the same time.

You will not be able to participate in the Lexus Extended Warranty Scheme as you have exceeded 140,000 miles

Seems a good deal to me as you basically have between 6 and 12 months in which to decide if you want to keep or sell it.

A former member on here (Tony Richa ) clocked up over 200,000 miles trouble free miles  in his GS450h.

What is there not to like ?

• Like 2

Many thanks all, very helpful. 

anyone have any experience of the standard sound system? This one unfortunately doesn’t come with the ML system or the wide screen but is good value for money given age/condition. I do like my music though !

thanks 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Apoc101 said:

Many thanks all, very helpful. 

anyone have any experience of the standard sound system? This one unfortunately doesn’t come with the ML system or the wide screen but is good value for money given age/condition. I do like my music though !

thanks 

It`ll be fine. If it isn`t then it`ll be under a warranty.

Your initial question was sensible, but I detect that you are getting a  bit silly.

I  will not contribute further to your Postings.

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Your initial question was sensible, but I detect that you are getting a  bit silly.

Not quite sure what to make of your ‘silly’ comment. I was asking for opinions on the sound quality difference between the standard and ML sound system and whether it’s worth holding out for one which has the ML system , it has nothing to do with warranty. Anyway thanks for your input 

16 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

That is a strange reaction John as Apoc has asked quite valid questions?

My 2013 GS450h is about to cross the 100,000 mark, so I can't comment exactly on this 150k example, but I can say that 3 out of 4 of my shock absorber are currently leaking.  2 aren't that bad and are just weeping, but I am having the rear one replaced as it has got quite bad.

I am also getting replaced a noisy transmission oil pump, but I suspect that this fault may be localised to my car and won't be a problem across the model range.

Other than that - touch wood - 3 years and 30k miles have been mostly trouble free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

but I can say that 3 out of 4 of my shock absorber are currently leaking.  2 aren't that bad and are just weeping, but I am having the rear one replaced as it has got quite bad.

oh my !  this sounds like an expensive journey you're about to encounter  ......... so APOC 101 take note .........  usual car costs maybe and  expensive to maintain ....... whatever the quality of the sound system :unsure:

Malc

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

That is a strange reaction John as Apoc has asked quite valid questions?

My 2013 GS450h is about to cross the 100,000 mark, so I can't comment exactly on this 150k example, but I can say that 3 out of 4 of my shock absorber are currently leaking.  2 aren't that bad and are just weeping, but I am having the rear one replaced as it has got quite bad.

I am also getting replaced a noisy transmission oil pump, but I suspect that this fault may be localised to my car and won't be a problem across the model range.

Other than that - touch wood - 3 years and 30k miles have been mostly trouble free.

Thanks. Are shock absorbers typically covered by the Lexus extended warranty? This apparently has one which I will just keep extending. At £46 /month it seems like a no brainer given it also includes comprehensive breakdown cover. 

Well, the good news is that the Extended Warranty is covering the replacement of the rear shock.  I would hope the same would be true for the fronts when the time comes, but of course I can't be certain.

I'm afraid I don't think you can extend the warranty once the car has passed 140k miles, so you might want to consider that.

I see you are in Berkshire, so I can highly recommend Lexus Reading as they have been excellent for me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

so I can highly recommend Lexus Reading as they have been excellent for me.

on the whole I say they do a good job too, except they don't check wheel alignment (other that visually looking at your tyres' wear pattern).

Oh and they left a wrench/breaker bar in the bottom of my engine bay once - luckily it didn't move otherwise that could have been a very expensive mistake.

8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

????? OP @Apoc101 was just asking what the difference is between non ML and ML music system. I'm confused why you think that is being silly.

Unfortunately I can't help OP as both my GS's have had ML but I am really surprised by your post.

7 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Well, the good news is that the Extended Warranty is covering the replacement of the rear shock.  I would hope the same would be true for the fronts when the time comes, but of course I can't be certain.

I'm afraid I don't think you can extend the warranty once the car has passed 140k miles, so you might want to consider that.

I see you are in Berkshire, so I can highly recommend Lexus Reading as they have been excellent for me.

Thanks. Yes Lexus Reading is my nearest dealership so will be going there. In terms of servicing did you opt for essential service given the car is over 5 years old? The full service costs, especially for a major service is £725 which is quite steep ! Presumably the extended warranty is not void if opting for essential service? Do you know how much Lexus Reading charge for an essential service as I couldn’t see an option for that when looking at their online booking system. 

many thanks 

36 minutes ago, Apoc101 said:

Presumably the extended warranty is not void if opting for essential service? Do you know how much Lexus Reading charge for an essential service as I couldn’t see an option for that when looking at their online booking system. 

There is talk of essential servicing being stopped for servicing, pricing remains just for replacement of parts such as brake pads.

Not sure if this is true or the fixed price element of the service has been stopped and dealers can choose their own pricing - you will need to contact them. Possibly they just do normal servicing and provide a discount.

If you can get an essentials service it is a valid service from a warranty point of view.

5 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

There is talk of essential servicing being stopped for servicing, pricing remains just for replacement of parts such as brake pads.

Not sure if this is true or the fixed price element of the service has been stopped and dealers can choose their own pricing - you will need to contact them. Possibly they just do normal servicing and provide a discount.

If you can get an essentials service it is a valid service from a warranty point of view.

Thanks. I will likely go down the indi route if they stop essential servicing or don’t provide a sensible discount on the normal servicing cost. Can the hybrid check (and associated 1 year warranty) be done separate to general servicing as that it something I would still go to Lexus for. 

thanks 

Colin is correct, essential servicing has been removed by Lexus UK.  When I was at Lexus Reading a few weeks ago, the service manager told me that they would be introducing an alternative called Value Servicing that would be very similar to how the essential servicing worked.  Not sure when that would be coming though.

In the meantime, you can have a hybrid check done for £59 if done without a service.

It should be noted that you are required to service the car at a main dealer if you want keep your warranty valid.

ML SYSTEM IS SUPERB  i have jsut sold my 450 and purchased an rc300 with out ml,  sounds good with the usb but hasnt the power of the ml to be fair ... but the only one im my price range with ML had 68k miles mine has 43k ???

52 minutes ago, Apoc101 said:

Can the hybrid check (and associated 1 year warranty) be done separate to general servicing

Yes but note that only the hybrid high voltage battery is covered by the HHC warranty, not any other part of the hybrid system.

2 hours ago, Lwerewolf said:

Inverters don't blow up on these, so unless the water pump gives... only the hybrid battery should be a potential concern 🙂

No but the transmission fluid pump bearings fail.