Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What is a first year apprentice worth to a small shop?

I’ve been working here about a year, started at minimum wage (12.55)right after college and got a dollar raise a few months in, but the thing is since starting here I’ve been doing a lot more than most would expect of an apprentice and I feel I’m worth more at this point. I’ve done some Heater cores and a head gasket, and I’ll admit my red seal did walk me through the difficult parts and gave pointers on those jobs but didn’t touch it. Daily I do rads, water pumps, gas tanks ,brakes, some suspension and things along those lines. And I normally don’t have any “come backs”

11 minutes ago, Christopher33 said:

I’ve been working here about a year, started at minimum wage (12.55)right after college and got a dollar raise a few months in, but the thing is since starting here I’ve been doing a lot more than most would expect of an apprentice and I feel I’m worth more at this point. I’ve done some Heater cores and a head gasket, and I’ll admit my red seal did walk me through the difficult parts and gave pointers on those jobs but didn’t touch it. Daily I do rads, water pumps, gas tanks ,brakes, some suspension and things along those lines. And I normally don’t have any “come backs”

Not quite sure in Surrey what a "dollar raise" is precisely 🤔 but you are fortunate enough to live in a Western Democracy where freedom of choice is mostly assured. You will only ever get paid what your employer thinks you are worth. If you think that you should get more put forward your case with numbers, if rejected then make a decision, leave, or stay as you are and prove your worth. If you do leave think about setting up on your own that way you can have the whole country assessing your worth rather than just one individual. 👍

• Like 1

Given that you talk of "dollars," "shop" instead of workshop, and a "red seal" (whatever that is), I would hazard a guess that you're in the USA/Canada maybe? If so, I doubt any info you get in here would be applicable over there.

Plus, working at a small place is always going to be very different to a big place.

• Like 1

The real value will be the experience and knowledge you gain. That's what will interest future employers.

• Like 1

I think I'm right in saying this ....... in the UK the Govt has specific rules surrounding Apprenticeships, length of the Apprenticeship too, pay - with Govt Support ?, conditions, reporting etc

Might be in the USA / Canada there are similar Govt regulations

Good luck, nothing like training on the job ............. whatever the pay levels

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Given that you talk of "dollars," "shop" instead of workshop, and a "red seal" (whatever that is), I would hazard a guess that you're in the USA/Canada maybe? If so, I doubt any info you get in here would be applicable over there.

Plus, working at a small place is always going to be very different to a big place.

It wasn't that long ago that your parents Paid an employer to take you on as an apprentice 😱. As the old saying goes, "when I was 16 my dad embarrassed me with how little he knew but by the age of 21 I was amazed by how much he had learnt in 5 short years 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

It wasn't that long ago that your parents Paid an employer to take you on as an apprentice 😱. As the old saying goes, "when I was 16 my dad embarrassed me with how little he knew but by the age of 21 I was amazed by how much he had learnt in 5 short years 😂

I should have added my commercial apprenticeship rate when starting was £4.15s.3d. Before deductions of course 😎

• Like 1