Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bonnet stuck shut and other maladies.....

IanA2

Does anybody have an idea about how to open a stuck bonnet. String pulls from inside, seems connected, but no joy. 

Only ideas I've found (and not yet to be tried) are have someone sit on it while pulling the opener, or mole grip from inside and yank.

All very sad as this is a very fine 430 (unused since SORN'd Nov last) suffering from an EML MoT failure. Mad, it's a great car and I'd like to get it back on the road, but I fear it might finally be heading to the scrappers. 

I've taken a few code readings which I'll post later, but it's all a bit academic if I can't open the bonnet. I'm certainly not footing any more huge uneccessary bills ( see threads passim) 

Thanks folks.

It looks like it's the VVT (code 1435) that's causing the EML issue. See the pic.

If it is, then I have to say I'll be scratching my head more than a bit that a main dealer could find and sort that out.

ANybody know the part number for a 2000 GS430...?

Thanks folks

code 1435.PNG

Edited by IanA2
typo

Part number as below, you could try pushing the bonnet down a few times to bounce the latch get someone to pull the release lever at the same time.

There are also 2 micro filters which supply the oil pressure to operate the VVTI solenoids, if they get blocked ( not a service item BTW) they can cause timing issues resulting in a code and an EML.

99542557-827C-48D3-8CD2-1E7CF76A992A.png

• Like 1

Thanks, tried bouncing (MrsIanA2) on the bonnet while I pulled. Tomorrow the Mole grips 🙂

Thanks for the part number.

Should a code be thrown up if the VSC light is on, do you know?  The light is on but not indicated by any fault on the reader.

9 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Part number as below, you could try pushing the bonnet down a few times to bounce the latch get someone to pull the release lever at the same time.

There are also 2 micro filters which supply the oil pressure to operate the VVTI solenoids, if they get blocked ( not a service item BTW) they can cause timing issues resulting in a code and an EML.

99542557-827C-48D3-8CD2-1E7CF76A992A.png

I don't know much about these code things. Afraid I'm a pre computer spanner-man (and mostly on motor bikes). I have two lights VSC & EML with just one Code ie 1345. I assumed (probably wrongly) that the code was for the EML. Would a dodgy VVT be responsibnle for the VSC light?

VSC codes can be flagged by a few causes from a faulty fuel tank filler cap seal to an O2 sensor, have you tried disconnecting the Battery for 10-15 minutes to reset the ECU then see if the codes clear ?

7 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

VSC codes can be flagged by a few causes from a faulty fuel tank filler cap seal to an O2 sensor, have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes to reset the ECU then see if the codes clear ?

Thanks.

I'll try the Battery trick.........if ever I can open the blasted bonnet 😞

Update:

Bouncing on the bonnet finally worked. That said I'm pretty sure the latch or the cable is fubarred.

On the VSC front, I've tried all the tricks, bridging the pins, disconnecting the Battery and opening/closing the fuel cap. VSC stays lit and re-reading throws up 1345 and only 1345.

Don't really know what to do now, it would be a criminal waste to scrap a perfectly good car which has had a lot of preventative work done (inc new wheels, SS exhaust system & cats , timing chain, water pump etc etc etc.

ETA.

The reading:

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Lexus

============1==============
P1345
Raw code: 1345
ECU: 10
OBDII: SGC (Cam Position) Sensor Circuit Malfunction/ Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation
Lexus: VVT Sensor / Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1

============2==============
P1345
Raw code: 1345
ECU: 10
OBDII: SGC (Cam Position) Sensor Circuit Malfunction/ Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation
Lexus: VVT Sensor / Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've finally decided that the 430 needs to go, it's taking up too much space. It's a great shame, but there we are. I'm either going to scrap it or send it to auction. Both these "solutions" possibly have difficulties in that it is currently Sorn'd. Obviously I can't drive it, but is it ok to be on a transporter (the auction house can do pick ups) whilst Sorn'd? Have had a look around and can't see an obvious answer. The car (despite new wheels, pump, cam belt, radiator and full SS exhaust & cats) is worth very litte without the damned MoT so this huge waste annoys me muchly.... 😞

A sad tale. It would be OK to have it on a transporter whilst SORN'd, as you would obviously be in the process of selling it.

Hopefully someone will take it on and love it again!

18 minutes ago, johnatg said:

A sad tale. It would be OK to have it on a transporter whilst SORN'd, as you would obviously be in the process of selling it.

Hopefully someone will take it on and love it again!

Sad indeed, ir would be nice if someone would take it on, my health is not good so I suppose I've just given up 😞