Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Relax (10 year/100,000 mile warranty)

This is not good news 😞

I was planning to take out a new extended warranty in Sept which would have covered me for another 2 years, but since my car will be over 100k miles by then (as opposed to the 140k limit that was in place), it will no longer be eligible.

Also, since essential servicing has now also been discontinued, having to pay for a full service, plus the cost of breakdown cover on top, means that the saving over the extended warranty won't be that great.

Lastly, if you look at the T&C, they have changed the way they define what is covered.  Previously, it had an exclusion list and covered everything else.  Now it has an inclusion list and won't cover anything else.  For example, the shock absorber I am having replaced under warranty next week now won't be covered.  Multimedia is also on the exclusion list, so if the screen dies on my current one, god knows how much that will cost to repair.

In light of this, I am seriously going to have to consider replacing my car sooner than I planned and give consideration to what I am going to do next...

• Sad 2

Looks to me like Lexus have just removed their USP i.e their cast iron warranty where everything was covered except for service replacement items. As the previous poster  has noted, Multimedia systems and lights are now excluded. The costs of these items are eyewatering and the warranty has now just been reduced to the same level as all the other warranty shysters out there by introducing the words "including but not limited to" which is a get out of jail clause. I'll have to reexamine my  plans to replace my RX with another Lexus. The playing field just got levelled.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

Looks to me like Lexus have just removed their USP i.e their cast iron warranty where everything was covered except for service replacement items. As the previous poster  has noted, Multimedia systems and lights are now excluded. The costs of these items are eyewatering and the warranty has now just been reduced to the same level as all the other warranty shysters out there by introducing the words "including but not limited to" which is a get out of jail clause. I'll have to reexamine my  plans to replace my RX with another Lexus. The playing field just got levelled.

As I mentioned earlier on today the devil is always in the detail 👿👿👿 The one exclusion I particularly like is "Relax does not apply to vehicles that are not technically fault free" 🤔🤔🤔

• Like 1

In February, I paid £2400 for a 2 year extended warranty on my LC. I am not happy as I always use main dealers for servicing. I asked about Relax and was told it was not available in the UK.

What should I do?

15 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

What should I do?

I'm on the same boat as yourself, I did read somewhere in one of the posts on the forum (There are now 4 threads regarding this topic) that Lexus shall refund the warranty cost on a pro-rata basis however I'd like to see how proactive they will be at doing that.

40 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

I think this has hit the nail on the head with regard to this situation.  It may sound like they are doing a good thing, but the quality of their warranty just took a nose dive.  Also, why suddenly reduce it by 40k miles unless the cost of replacement parts exceeded the value of the cover, which can make for a very expensive proposition for owners of 'higher' mileage vehicles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -Error- said:

I'm on the same boat as yourself, I did read somewhere in one of the posts on the forum (There are now 4 threads regarding this topic) that Lexus shall refund the warranty cost on a pro-rata basis however I'd like to see how proactive they will be at doing that.

This was always the case with the extended warranty and it was possible unless you had already made a claim, in which case they wouldn't refund it.

I'm in the situation that my next service comes up 3 months before my 2 year warranty expires. As far as I'm concerned the new warranty is inferior to the one I've paid for so I will rely on the one I've got until it runs out. A warranty is a legal agreement between the parties where in return  for your money and you fulfilling your obligations they have to fulfill theirs. They can change what they want but not  back out of the agreement in place. Having thought more about this it could be the end of my 12 year relationship with Lexus. The warranty and the peace of mind it brings was my primary reason for staying with Lexus  and this  change just seems to be to give Lexus and their dealers more wriggle room, same as every other manufacturer, so as I said earlier the playing field just got levelled up.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

There must be some limitations such as a full Lexus service history. I have searched for it on the Lexus website but can't find any information.

No it says that warranty is not part of the service - that is all. No full Lexus service history required... however it says to look at T&Cs and perhaps if car was never serviced all the way to 60k miles there may be some conditions.

5 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Seems like Extended Warranty has gone as the page on the Lexus website goes to 404 Page Not Found. The new Relax although looking good for <10 years / 100,000 mile cars cuts off sooner than the Extended Warranty which was <10 years and 140,000 miles. My car has just rolled over 100,000 miles but is just under 7 years old and I had hoped to retain the Extended Warranty until it reached the 140,000 miles (still under 10 years old) which gave me a lot of confidence in the car.

That is not strictly true - extended warranty was as well for up-to 10years/100k miles... however if extended before deadlines one could have it for longer i.e. you come day before 10 years old or at 99k miles, get another 2 years warranty and it would last irrespective of mileage age for another 2 years.

I remember some people had extended it twice for 2 years in theory giving 14 years of warranty past 100k miles, but importantly you could not get say 9 years old car with 130k miles and get warranty for it, you could only get it if you extending existing policy

22 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

I'm in the situation that my next service comes up 3 months before my 2 year warranty expires. As far as I'm concerned the new warranty is inferior to the one I've paid for so I will rely on the one I've got until it runs out. A warranty is a legal agreement between the parties where in return  for your money and you fulfilling your obligations they have to fulfill theirs. They can change what they want but not  back out of the agreement in place. Having thought more about this it could be the end of my 12 year relationship with Lexus. The warranty and the peace of mind it brings was my primary reason for staying with Lexus  and this  change just seems to be to give Lexus and their dealers more wriggle room, same as every other manufacturer, so as I said earlier the playing field just got levelled up.

I, like you, Graham, have an agreement in place which I fully expect to be honoured until February 2024 in full and as described in the original contract to the letter. Now until we learn further there's no point getting our proverbial knickers in a twist is there? For new entrants yes, it represents a new proposition which for some will be a clear winner but for others not so clear cut. All I can tell you is, as a 21 year old jaguar xkr owner a whole ecosystem has evolved  to ensure that support is readily  accessible and I am sure something similar will arise here 

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

In February, I paid £2400 for a 2 year extended warranty on my LC. I am not happy as I always use main dealers for servicing. I asked about Relax and was told it was not available in the UK.

What should I do?

I guess technically they were right, if it was not offered in UK at the time.

However, if you have any evidence in writing i.e. if they said Relax is not available via e-mail... then I would raise it with them. However, as other people have said - Lexus extended warranty seems to cover more items than new "relax" policy. Not sure how relevant it is for your car being just 3 years old, but maybe these products cannot be compared.

9 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

That is not strictly true - extended warranty was as well for up-to 10years/100k miles... however if extended before deadlines one could have it for longer i.e. you come day before 10 years old or at 99k miles, get another 2 years warranty and it would last irrespective of mileage age for another 2 years.

That is not correct Linas.  The extended warranty was either 10 years or 140,000 miles before you couldn't renew it, so they have now shortened it by 40k miles.

Well, I'm disillusioned now. My main reason for going to the Lexus brand was peace of mind. I was comfortable paying £995 for the 2 year extended warranty, as it more or less fixed costs for me. 

Now the warranty is included in the annual service, that is in effect saving me £500 p.a. However, as many have pointed out, the new warranty is nowhere as comprehensive as the original, and looks to me as if it gives Lexus too much wriggle room (just like other brands).

For example, on the 2_4_1, all electrics were covered. Now it seems that most are covered, with the exception of the multi media part. But many of the driver aids are interlinked to this, so how will they differentiate?

The £500 p.a. saving would help towards the odd shock absorbed etc, but I doubt if it would help towards a multi media repair bill.

Time to forget about Lexus and buy something for a couple of grand and change or scrap when as big bill comes along??I

Or just start leasing and hand it back?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I, like you, Graham, have an agreement in place which I fully expect to be honoured until February 2024 in full and as described in the original contract to the letter. Now until we learn further there's no point getting our proverbial knickers in a twist is there? For new entrants yes, it represents a new proposition which for some will be a clear winner but for others not so clear cut. All I can tell you is, as a 21 year old jaguar xkr owner a whole ecosystem has evolved  to ensure that support is readily  accessible and I am sure something similar will arise here 

If you are 21, then I am Jurgen Klopp, Phil.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Well, I'm disillusioned now. My main reason for going to the Lexus brand was peace of mind. I was comfortable paying £995 for the 2 year extended warranty, as it more or less fixed costs for me. 

Now the warranty is included in the annual service, that is in effect saving me £500 p.a. However, as many have pointed out, the new warranty is nowhere as comprehensive as the original, and looks to me as if it gives Lexus too much wriggle room (just like other brands).

For example, on the 2_4_1, all electrics were covered. Now it seems that most are covered, with the exception of the multi media part. But many of the driver aids are interlinked to this, so how will they differentiate?

The £500 p.a. saving would help towards the odd shock absorbed etc, but I doubt if it would help towards a multi media repair bill.

Time to forget about Lexus and buy something for a couple of grand and change or scrap when as big bill comes along??I

Or just start leasing and hand it back?

My thoughts exactly.  In fact, I spent a few hours this afternoon looking at leasing deals.

Such a shame this has happened ☹️

4 hours ago, Shahpor said:

This is not good news 😞

I was planning to take out a new extended warranty in Sept which would have covered me for another 2 years, but since my car will be over 100k miles by then (as opposed to the 140k limit that was in place), it will no longer be eligible.

Also, since essential servicing has now also been discontinued, having to pay for a full service, plus the cost of breakdown cover on top, means that the saving over the extended warranty won't be that great.

Lastly, if you look at the T&C, they have changed the way they define what is covered.  Previously, it had an exclusion list and covered everything else.  Now it has an inclusion list and won't cover anything else.  For example, the shock absorber I am having replaced under warranty next week now won't be covered.  Multimedia is also on the exclusion list, so if the screen dies on my current one, god knows how much that will cost to repair.

In light of this, I am seriously going to have to consider replacing my car sooner than I planned and give consideration to what I am going to do next...

I'm in exactly the same position as you - my current extended warranty was due for renewal in November 

The timing makes me wonder if Lexus has done this to make Genesis less appealing (at a glance) which is due to launch in the UK soon.

Like others the extended warranty gave me peace of mind and kind of fixed-costs for the coming year or so. JUST by chance I had put in for an extension to the warranty on the RX about a month ago - two years to run from this October. So for the time being I'm OK. However, going forward it looks like long term ownership could be affected particularly for folk like me who keep their cars for a good while. It just seems that Lexus are going down the same road as many others and seeing car ownership as more of a lease/rental thing - i.e. "it's a monthly cost' like phones, etc. While I'm sure it works for lots of folk it doesn't for me. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

If you are 21, then I am Jurgen Klopp, Phil.

I used to blame it all on the parents and the lack of proper use of an apostrophe, but I now see it has sunk to the level of the comma😱

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I used to blame it all on the parents and the lack of proper use of an apostrophe, but I now see it has sunk to the level of the comma😱

I think it should be Jürgen Klopp with no comma.

• Like 1

So my extended warranty runs out at end July and my next service is not until November. How do I opt in to the new offering? Am I automatically covered because car was serviced at a Lexus dealership last November? Do I have to pay something or register to remain covered? I had recently decided I would renew the extended warranty on the 2 for 1 basis but guess this isn’t an option now. I presume there is no breakdown cover element in the new offering?

2 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

So my extended warranty runs out at end July and my next service is not until November. How do I opt in to the new offering? Am I automatically covered because car was serviced at a Lexus dealership last November? Do I have to pay something or register to remain covered? I had recently decided I would renew the extended warranty on the 2 for 1 basis but guess this isn’t an option now. I presume there is no breakdown cover element in the new offering?

Going to be quite a few loyal owners who have taken up the previous Lexus offerings left high and dry by these changes - and in many cases unless they are on a forum like this probably aren't even aware of the changes... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, paulrnx said:

So my extended warranty runs out at end July and my next service is not until November. How do I opt in to the new offering?

It's the one question they don't address in their FAQ - they don't seem to acknowledge the previous extended warranties.

I'd be 99% certain that if asked Lexus will state you need to get your vehicle serviced at the point of your existing warranty expiry so that you can be enrolled into Relax. Either get the cheapest minor service done or bring forward your next service. It's going to be cheaper than taking out a warranty so I don't see Lexus giving you cover until your service is actually due.

You won't be automatically covered as only vehicles that are serviced after 1/6/21 get Relax cover.

There isn't breakdown cover as part of Relax - the actual recovery, hotel expenses etc. can be taken out for £125 per year as a separate product.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/roadside-assistance/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1