Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Relax (10 year/100,000 mile warranty)

Thanks guys.

I think I will book my car in for a ‘pre-warranty expiry check’ two weeks before warranty expiry to have anything done that needs doing under the (old) extended warranty.

I’ll check to determine options going forward. To be honest I might even run the car without any form of warranty from end July to the November service. Not sure I’d bring the next service forward but this would be an option nonetheless. Servicing every year / 10k miles is already slightly OTT with modern oils, manufacturing techniques, onboard monitoring and warning systems, etc, so I’m loathe to get a service done only 8 months and 6k miles after my last one.

3 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

That was an old white van as I recall Paul so no is the answer 😂

No mate, that was a commer I think! 🤣 

2 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

No mate, that was a commer I think! 🤣 

So there we have it! Commer, coma, comma, commode, commiserations on trying to learn the English language 😎

• Like 1

Still got this gap between extended warranty expiry at end July and next service due in November. But I was going to renew the warranty at end July anyway for £795 (for two years). So I suppose I could just bring the service forward and for £655 I get the expensive service done and a free year’s warranty. Ok I have to purchase breakdown cover but this can be had fairly cheaply nowadays and there is also an option to purchase the cover through Lexus.

Does anyone know if purchasing the breakdown cover through Lexus still provides cover for a spouse/partner?

3 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

So there we have it! Commer, coma, comma, commode, commiserations on trying to learn the English language 😎

Right, rite, Wright, could, cud, would, wood, etc, all make English not the easiest of languages to get to grips with I wood think

It's all marketing. They know exactly what each model is costing them in warranty claims per year. In the case of Toyota/Lexus that wont be much due to reliability. New cars are likely to be serviced by main dealers until the warranty expires and then move away into local garages that will be cheaper than the dealers. By changing the warranty they hope to tie the customer/car to the dealer for 10 years which from their perspective is a great idea. 10 times contact and options to sell another car, 10 times new oil service etc. For company car drivers making miles and miles it does make sense to have an annual service but for the average motorist? My wife has a BMW 1 series and drives 10.000 km annually. The car will tell you when its time for a service which in this case is once every 2 years and not each year..... Another catch? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

It's all marketing. They know exactly what each model is costing them in warranty claims per year. In the case of Toyota/Lexus that wont be much due to reliability. New cars are likely to be serviced by main dealers until the warranty expires and then move away into local garages that will be cheaper than the dealers. By changing the warranty they hope to tie the customer/car to the dealer for 10 years which from their perspective is a great idea. 10 times contact and options to sell another car, 10 times new oil service etc. For company car drivers making miles and miles it does make sense to have an annual service but for the average motorist? My wife has a BMW 1 series and drives 10.000 km annually. The car will tell you when its time for a service which in this case is once every 2 years and not each year..... Another catch? 

I`m so pleased that you are in our team Bernard.😊

I was happily imagining another six years of ownership backed up by a cast-iron warranty

Now I may be looking elsewhere when my current 2-4-1 runs out in 12 months

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

I was happily imagining another six years of ownership backed up by a cast-iron warranty

Now I may be looking elsewhere when my current 2-4-1 runs out in 12 months

Very much the same.

It is also worth noting the following in the press release:

"The Relax warranty covers the same parts and labour as the three-year manufacturer’s warranty provided on new Toyota and Lexus vehicles and the one-year manufacturer warranty that’s standard with approved used vehicles"

However, I am pretty sure that if my multimedia screen or headlight was faulty within the first 3 years of owning a new car then it would be covered, whereas it isn't with this new warranty.

The way I see it is that this might help Lexus attract some new 'casual' customers that were perhaps tempted by the longer warranties offered by other manufacturer, and it should help approved used sales as well.  However, the core of the 'loyal' Lexus customers will see this for what it is (a downgrade) and be potentially looking elsewhere for their new cars, as has already been expressed by some members here.

I fear this is the start of Lexus trying to become a more mainstream brand and consequently losing their USP that made them better than other manufacturers.

20 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Very much the same.

It is also worth noting the following in the press release:

"The Relax warranty covers the same parts and labour as the three-year manufacturer’s warranty provided on new Toyota and Lexus vehicles and the one-year manufacturer warranty that’s standard with approved used vehicles"

However, I am pretty sure that if my multimedia screen or headlight was faulty within the first 3 years of owning a new car then it would be covered, whereas it isn't with this new warranty.

The way I see it is that this might help Lexus attract some new 'casual' customers that were perhaps tempted by the longer warranties offered by other manufacturer, and it should help approved used sales as well.  However, the core of the 'loyal' Lexus customers will see this for what it is (a downgrade) and be potentially looking elsewhere for their new cars, as has already been expressed by some members here.

I fear this is the start of Lexus trying to become a more mainstream brand and consequently losing their USP that made them better than other manufacturers.

Create a new free of charge warranty package to cover all those items that hardly ever fail and exclude all those items that do and hey presto you remove all cost and risk from your warranty product.

You also have a good story to tell all prospective new customers and existing customers who don’t have warranties and/or have services done outside of the franchised network.

What you might do however is p1ss off existing customers who always service inside the network and who always purchase the extended warranty for complete peace of mind motoring.

I was in two minds in purchasing an extended warranty when mine runs out at end July. On balance I probably would have done though. I had however also been questioning the wisdom of buying a quality and reliable Lexus that never goes wrong but at the same time buying an extended warranty just in case it did go wrong.

I think this new product suits me. I’ll continue to service mine at a dealership and enjoy a free warranty every year on the really big ticket items. If anything not covered by the warranty fails I will then investigate the best way to fix it at the time. This may be via a Lexus dealership, an independent, or an aftermarket company that offers repairs to Lexus media, navigation and other things not covered by the warranty.

This subject is going to get quite a few column inches on the forum I think!

• Like 2

KIA/Hyundai are giving a 7 yr warranty and no need to have the car serviced at an official dealer. Been doing that for a long time. Also the other conditions seem more " easy going" .

I think forcing the customers to have a service each year is where the money comes in. especially in small city cars of which Toyota sells many this is questionable as these just don't do the miles. Shopping trolleys and baby buggies for the school run.

Rough numbers: Toyota on average sells 100.000 cars in the UK each year. Service prices average from 200 to 350 sterling, small or large service. Times 100k this is between 20 and 35 million pounds only for 1 yr of sold cars. Suppose people will go for this plan and lets say all cars from the last six years will come in. Then we are talking between 120 and 210 million pounds. Those are big numbers...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

KIA/Hyundai are giving a 7 yr warranty and no need to have the car serviced at an official dealer. Been doing that for a long time. Also the other conditions seem more " easy going" .

I think forcing the customers to have a service each year is where the money comes in. especially in small city cars of which Toyota sells many this is questionable as these just don't do the miles. Shopping trolleys and baby buggies for the school run.

Rough numbers: Toyota on average sells 100.000 cars in the UK each year. Service prices average from 200 to 350 sterling, small or large service. Times 100k this is between 20 and 35 million pounds only for 1 yr of sold cars. Suppose people will go for this plan and lets say all cars from the last six years will come in. Then we are talking between 120 and 210 million pounds. Those are big numbers...

Agreed. Bringing customers back inside the servicing network also opens up the possibility of persuading them to replace their cars.

2 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

That's a manufacturer's warranty. By law they cannot force servicing at an authorised dealer. The same thing with Toyota's 5 year warranty and Lexus' 3 year warranty.

Relax is essentially an extended warranty and isn't bound to the same legal requirements. Yes you will pay more for a service at a main dealer but you had to do the same thing before and also pay for an extended warranty. Think of it as a £150 per year warranty; the extra price you would pay for a service at Lexus vs an independent - that still represents good value.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Create a new free of charge warranty package to cover all those items that hardly ever fail and exclude all those items that do and hey presto you remove all cost and risk from your warranty product.

You also have a good story to tell all prospective new customers and existing customers who don’t have warranties and/or have services done outside of the franchised network.

What you might do however is p1ss off existing customers who always service inside the network and who always purchase the extended warranty for complete peace of mind motoring.

I was in two minds in purchasing an extended warranty when mine runs out at end July. On balance I probably would have done though. I had however also been questioning the wisdom of buying a quality and reliable Lexus that never goes wrong but at the same time buying an extended warranty just in case it did go wrong.

I think this new product suits me. I’ll continue to service mine at a dealership and enjoy a free warranty every year on the really big ticket items. If anything not covered by the warranty fails I will then investigate the best way to fix it at the time. This may be via a Lexus dealership, an independent, or an aftermarket company that offers repairs to Lexus media, navigation and other things not covered by the warranty.

This subject is going to get quite a few column inches on the forum I think!

I'm in the very miffed off group as my current Extended Warranty expires in November and I have now gone over 100k miles (car is IS300h 2014 registration). I had planned on perhaps two more years Extended Warranty to take the car towards the old 140k mile cut off and then think about a change. Given the decision to remove the IS from the UK market, which if they had not done that I might have purchased a new IS this year (still not keen on an SUV or the bigger ES), and now from November leaving me with no Extended Warranty on my current car (which can incur eye-watering bills if it does go wrong) and no Essentials Care Servicing I'm not looking at a strong motivation to stay with Lexus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

That's a manufacturer's warranty. By law they cannot force servicing at an authorised dealer. The same thing with Toyota's 5 year warranty and Lexus' 3 year warranty.

Relax is essentially an extended warranty and isn't bound to the same legal requirements. Yes you will pay more for a service at a main dealer but you had to do the same thing before and also pay for an extended warranty. Think of it as a £150 per year warranty; the extra price you would pay for a service at Lexus vs an independent - that still represents good value.

That last bit is how I’m considering it. Factor in the free hybrid health check too and it’s looking like exceptional value to me. Although I will now need to look at breakdown cover of course. This can be had quite cheaply via car insurance add-on. Unless of course my media/satnav unit goes. In which case it’s not!

59 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

I'm in the very miffed off group as my current Extended Warranty expires in November and I have now gone over 100k miles (car is IS300h 2014 registration). I had planned on perhaps two more years Extended Warranty to take the car towards the old 140k mile cut off and then think about a change. Given the decision to remove the IS from the UK market, which if they had not done that I might have purchased a new IS this year (still not keen on an SUV or the bigger ES), and now from November leaving me with no Extended Warranty on my current car (which can incur eye-watering bills if it does go wrong) and no Essentials Care Servicing I'm not looking at a strong motivation to stay with Lexus.

Yes I can see why you would be

5 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

No John, the word is coma 😂

OED suggest it is spelt comma. But thin agin, wat do thay no.

6 months ago I cudnt evin spel inginere, now I is wun.

I was thinking more about it... and I concluded overall it is a good thing for most, but not all owners and better than any other make. Further, it seems to have sound business reasoning and I can't fault them.

Basically, all owners who have car between 3-7 years old and under 100k miles will benefit from this as they will be basically getting "free" warranty. Sure - it does not cover as much as old Lexus Extended Warranty, but it covers far more than no warranty.

The only group of people for whom it will be worse will be Lexus owners who done more than 100k miles, or has cars older than 10 years... I does make perfect business sense for Lexus - motivates people to upgrade cars after 10y/100k and reduces liability on extended warranty. Obviously, this is cold business calculation and is designed to make them more profitable.

Now... yes it is true that Lexus being so reliable many people got into habit owning them for longer and with higher miles, but I recon they are "non criteria" clients for Lexus... I felt that very much when I owned my old IS250 and I was getting "second tier" customer service every time.

Finally, let's face it - Essential Service and Lexus Extended Warranty were far too good to last and I completely agree, they made 10y+/100k+  Lexus still viable for longer. The new Relax warranty is certainly not as good for those older/higher mile cars and I do understand some people may be upset for a reason. 

Perhaps Lexus should consider introducing separate product for additional cost ... specifically for parts not covered in Relax and for cars over 10y/100k... 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Right, rite, Wright, could, cud, would, wood, etc, all make English not the easiest of languages to get to grips with I wood think

And neither should it be🤕 it's a language, I suspect, most people aspire to as their second language, so the harder the goal the better it's appreciated. Unless, of course it's......... (fill your own blanks in} 🤭

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links