Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Relax (10 year/100,000 mile warranty)

This sounds too good to be true! Doesn't this make Lexus extended warranty (which in itself is amazing deal) obsolete?

I guess maybe Lexus Relax will not cover as much as extended warranty does? I guess one limitation I can see is that Lexus extended warranty applies for entire year and you have a little bit more flexibility whenever it is 8k miles or 12k miles. Whereas here it will be valid for 10k miles after service... not an issue in itself as car should be services at least every 10k miles (and arguably more often).

Obviously, Lexus figured out this could be a great way to ensure service centre income, but Lexus service itself being good value + now basically including warranty which cost just as much as most services this just sounds far too good deal... but I cannot find any catches! What?!

Seems like Extended Warranty has gone as the page on the Lexus website goes to 404 Page Not Found. The new Relax although looking good for <10 years / 100,000 mile cars cuts off sooner than the Extended Warranty which was <10 years and 140,000 miles. My car has just rolled over 100,000 miles but is just under 7 years old and I had hoped to retain the Extended Warranty until it reached the 140,000 miles (still under 10 years old) which gave me a lot of confidence in the car.

4 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Seems like Extended Warranty has gone as the page on the Lexus website goes to 404 Page Not Found. The new Relax although looking good for <10 years / 100,000 mile cars cuts off sooner than the Extended Warranty which was <10 years and 140,000 miles. My car has just rolled over 100,000 miles but is just under 7 years old and I had hoped to retain the Extended Warranty until it reached the 140,000 miles (still under 10 years old) which gave me a lot of confidence in the car.

That's the catch then. 

15 minutes ago, Mincey said:

That's the catch then. 

Don't think it's a catch as such, Reading the blurb speaks of 100k and beyond? So maybe no warranty beyond 10 years but service still available, devil is always in the detail 

6 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Is the warranty retrospective for second-hand vehicles or just for new ones?

As I read it Dave irrespective of where car was originally sourced and irrespective of service history? That's an interesting one to implement I forsee 

4 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

As I read it Dave irrespective of where car was originally sourced and irrespective of service history? That's an interesting one to implement I forsee 

There must be some limitations such as a full Lexus service history. I have searched for it on the Lexus website but can't find any information.

Sounds good. Glad I haven't just taken out an extended warranty!

I suppose the downside is having to pay for the MoT test and breakdown cover? Still somewhat cheaper than £995.......

Wasn't there also the 'MoT cover' with the extended warranty? Something about it covering unforeseen MoT failure items. Doesn't immediately appear to be included.

Even though mine was eligible for an Essential Service last time the cost difference was so small I still went for the full one anyway.

3 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

There must be some limitations such as a full Lexus service history. I have searched for it on the Lexus website but can't find any information.

Nope, full Lexus service history does not seem to be a pre-requisite according to this article...

https://www.whatcar.com/news/toyota-introduces-free-10-year-warranty/n23098

The new Relax warranty scheme doesn’t cost car owners anything, and it’s applicable to all vehicles, regardless of whether they have been bought from a Toyota dealer, independent garage or a private buyer. It’s also not dependent on the car having a full Toyota service history; as long as it’s had a full or interim service by a Toyota dealer, it will gain the warranty cover. 

Reading the article, one can safely assume that the names Toyota/Lexus can be interchanged.

I wonder what happens it you recently have taken an extended warranty... do you get some money back?

6 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Nope, it's there 

2 minutes ago, DanD said:

Nope, full Lexus service history does not seem to be a pre-requisite according to this article...

https://www.whatcar.com/news/toyota-introduces-free-10-year-warranty/n23098

The new Relax warranty scheme doesn’t cost car owners anything, and it’s applicable to all vehicles, regardless of whether they have been bought from a Toyota dealer, independent garage or a private buyer. It’s also not dependent on the car having a full Toyota service history; as long as it’s had a full or interim service by a Toyota dealer, it will gain the warranty cover. 

Reading the article, one can safely assume that the names Toyota/Lexus can be interchanged.

I wonder what happens it you recently have taken an extended warranty... do you get some money back?

I am about to find out! My car is being serviced right now having recently taken one out. 🤔

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phil xxkr said:

I am about to find out! My car is being serviced right now having recently taken one out. 🤔

Mine is going in tomorrow... I too will try and find out more.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Don't think it's a catch as such, Reading the blurb speaks of 100k and beyond? So maybe no warranty beyond 10 years but service still available, devil is always in the detail 

Yes of course they will service beyond 100k miles but then no warranty (where Extended Warranty went out to 140k miles) and doubt the service will be discounted at that point as seems Essential Care services have also gone... 

30 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Possibly done to drive up new car sales...

I think the strategy is pretty clear, for new car buyers it is a huge sales differentiator for the sales exec and keeps the buyer in the family beyond the initial 3 years. An unintended consequence may be to depress new car sales as is happening with mobile phones because the buyer sees no reason to change. But maybe this will be more than offset by new customers with used cars 🤔

6 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Yes of course they will service beyond 100k miles but then no warranty (where Extended Warranty went out to 140k miles) and doubt the service will be discounted at that point as seems Essential Care services have also gone... 

I thought so too, but...

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/lexus-essential-care/#hero

6 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Has to be some trade-offs somewhere I guess. Be interested in knowing if gold card discount will still apply? 

1 minute ago, wharfhouse said:

The repairs are listed and I assume discounted but no more major / minor servicing listed 

Actually you may be right. I seem to recall a post from @rayaan saying that Essential Care/Servicing was being discontinued.