Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Relax (10 year/100,000 mile warranty)

20 minutes ago, Pielight said:

I believe that even the Extended Warranty is administered by a third party (TWG) who must authorise any claims?

Third party or not, I suspect a main dealer would have some clout in getting certain works approved as good will?

Speaking to a completely independent dealer the other day (no relationship to Lexus) he explained that he has some pull with the warranty company (Warranty wise or whoever, would have to check). The fact that they mainly retail premium cars (Bentley, McLaren etc), in volume, and have submitted few claims on behalf of customers (indicating they curate their stock well) being a factor there.

An example he gave was a shock absorber replacement for a customer. The warranty company t&c only obliged them to pay out for one, dealer said he talked warranty company around to replace as a pair as that is the correct works for the car, and it's dodgy to leave the customer fronting the 2nd one effectively compensated for half the required works.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PJD69 said:

Third party or not, I suspect a main dealer would have some clout in getting certain works approved as good will?

Speaking to a completely independent dealer the other day (no relationship to Lexus) he explained that he has some pull with the warranty company (Warranty wise or whoever, would have to check). The fact that they mainly retail premium cars (Bentley, McLaren etc), in volume, and have submitted few claims on behalf of customers (indicating they curate their stock well) being a factor there.

An example he gave was a shock absorber replacement for a customer. The warranty company t&c only obliged them to pay out for one, dealer said he talked warranty company around to replace as a pair as that is the correct works for the car, and it's dodgy to leave the customer fronting the 2nd one effectively compensated for half the required works.

https://www.industryweek.com/supply-chain/planning-forecasting/article/21945801/the-warranty-cost-challenge

And the good news seems to be, the extended warranty is still available in the guise of 'Lexus Select.' Only glanced at it, but it looks identical to the old extended warranty and if you had extended warranty without a break you can renew at less than 8 years old (so cover possible up to 9y 364 days) with Select and if my eyes aren't deceiving me there's no upper mileage limit.. .cant be right...I think need to look in morning with fresh eyes!!!!

I think Lexus Select is the warranty applied to used cars sold by Lexus and only for the first year. My local dealer has just confirmed that Relax is the only thing on offer to existing owners.

10 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

I think Lexus Select is the warranty applied to used cars sold by Lexus and only for the first year. My local dealer has just confirmed that Relax is the only thing on offer to existing owners.

Conversely my dealer (Jemca) told me (when I called them on just this) that there will be some form of Extended Warranty when a car is outside Relax period and also a lower cost servicing option. My current Extended Warranty expires in November and car is late 2014 build but now over 100k miles. Would be good if Lexus post something on their website. 

Since it was 5 years old I have had my car serviced at Lexus using the essential care which included the hybrid health check. I have been happy with this and accepted that the car is not under warranty apart from the hybrid system which was covered by the health check. My service is due now and was going to book it in and also have the rear tyres replaced. I mistakenly thought I needed a minor  or intermediate service at £285 but when they looked at the records it was a full at £500 plus tyres and a tpms sensor I want changing and mot. Nearly £1000 on an 8 year old car probably worth about £11500 so quite a percentage of the value of the car. When I said I wouldn’t pay that for a car that’s only covered less than 3000 miles since it’s last service due to lack of travel in the past year, I was told I could have whatever service I want but to gain the relax warranty the stipulated service must be carried out. I am now considering going to my local Toyota dealer who do a full service for less than the minor at Lexus, They won’t do the hybrid Heath check though. This change in servicing costs is now pushing me to look to other makes for my next car, sad as I have had  a Lexus for 12 years now

2 hours ago, 08ISF said:

The Select t&cs specically make mention of those renewing the old extended warranty. In fact, the used car condition is just one of 3 requirements. I'll add link shortly. 

I can understand for hybrids, but for the older petrol cars isn't one of the joys of a Lexus that it's an ultra reliable brand?

I've heard it said that the IS250 is the most reliable car you can buy on the used market, and quite a few parts are cheap Toyota parts.

31 minutes ago, PJD69 said:

I can understand for hybrids, but for the older petrol cars isn't one of the joys of a Lexus that it's an ultra reliable brand?

I've heard it said that the IS250 is the most reliable car you can buy on the used market, and quite a few parts are cheap Toyota parts.

According to a comprensive which survey, petrol hybrids are the most reliable cars on the road.

Reliability is relative...the nost reliable cars on tne road still break down but less frequently. Throw into the mix the eye watering cost of Lexus spares...an NX owner just posted on the lexus website that he had just had the multimedia screen replaced which was £3.5k , had it not been covered by warranty.  Lexus confirmed this would not be covered by Relax. I believe a headlight for my GSF is around £3k and shocks in general start well into triple digits...these do go. You lose cover on these with Relax.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PJD69 said:

Yes, it's the Lexus Paradox.

People are attracted to the brand in no small part due to their reputation for reliability, and then they buy a warranty because they worry if it'll be unreliable.

I'm personally guilty of this, not so much because I'm worried about the reliability per se, but just because spare parts are so expensive if they're ever needed.

For instance, if a LED or two fail in the headlamp unit they can't be individually replaced. The whole unit is sealed and has to be replaced as a whole unit, for around £1,000.

A Multimedia head unit is about £3,000.

Both of those items were covered under the previous 'Extended Warranty' but not under Relax, hence why folks are miffed, to say the least.

Does anyone know if individual parts of a car qualify for the 'Reasonable Expectation' clause or whatever it may be, of the Sale of Goods Act (or again, whatever it might be)?

What I mean is, taking LED headlamps as an example, LED life-span is measured in thousands of hours of continuous use, with 10,000 or 15,000 hours being documented as about 'the norm'. If we say they may be illuminated for 4-hours per day, that's a lifespan of 3,750 days or 10.27 years (using 15k hours as the ref).

Hmm, that may not be a brilliant example after all but consider the multimedia head unit at £3,000.

If I spent £3,000 on a TV I could have a reasonable expectation of it lasting for more than 6 years, irrespective of any warranty/extended warranty on it.

Or maybe I'm just blabbering about something of which I have very little knowledge :whistling:

1 minute ago, dublet said:

Funnily enough, a TV will only get you 2 years of warranty, unless you take out extended warranty.

That's true, but if I needed to I would fight that tooth and nail under the 'Reasonable Expectation' clause that I believe gives us up to 6 years.

10 minutes ago, Herbie said:

That's true, but if I needed to I would fight that tooth and nail under the 'Reasonable Expectation' clause that I believe gives us up to 6 years.

Why do you and Dublet think it is true Herbie?

I submitted a Posting on the very subject of Warranties  and the Sale of Goods Act and subsequent amending legislation a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps no-one read it.

The main point is that we thought the option of the more comprehensive extended warranty had been removed, but it would seem that it is still available, albeit with a different name (Select). It's not obvious how you go about getting it though.

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Why do you and Dublet think it is true Herbie?

I was being a bit facetious. My point was more that the warranty on cars is much better than it is on a lot of other consumer items, especially considering what they go through.

9 minutes ago, dublet said:

I was being a bit facetious. My point was more that the warranty on cars is much better than it is on a lot of other consumer items, especially considering what they go through.

I must adjust to the humour you bring to us Dublet.😜

20 hours ago, Pielight said:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty/

To get t&cs click on Select heading.

What I can't see so far, is a link to see prices and buy.

Interesting - Select is the used car programme and it always included a one year Extended Warranty if the car was more than 3 years old. It will be interesting to see if the clauses in that doc apply. My Lexus dealer told me that there would still be an Extended Warranty for when the car is outside Relax (so in my case under 10 years old but over 100k miles. I have renewed my Extended Warranty on the 2 for 1 deal and it was done through the dealer not on line - I will find out in November what is happening as my current Extended Warranty expires then. 

• Like 3

On 8/13/2021 at 5:02 PM, Herbie said:

For instance, if a LED or two fail in the headlamp unit they can't be individually replaced. The whole unit is sealed and has to be replaced as a whole unit, for around £1,000.

I took out the extended warranty in December 20 and the paperwork I received definitely stated that lights, bulbs and headlamp adjustment were all excluded from the warranty, now if I was a cynic does anybody think that Lexus may have excluded some things toward the end of the extended warranty life in order to claim Relax is no different?

On 8/13/2021 at 5:17 PM, dublet said:

Funnily enough, a TV will only get you 2 years of warranty, unless you take out extended warranty.

Unless you buy from Richer Sounds where it can be 5/6 years! 

2 hours ago, Derant said:

I took out the extended warranty in December 20 and the paperwork I received definitely stated that lights, bulbs and headlamp adjustment were all excluded from the warranty, now if I was a cynic does anybody think that Lexus may have excluded some things toward the end of the extended warranty life in order to claim Relax is no different?

The Select warranty t&cs looks identical to my extended warranty which was taken out August 2020 which has way less exclusions than Relax. Lights are not excluded (although bulbs are). I posted link to Select above and you can see in tne t&cs it is available to virtually all lexus cars under 8 yrs old (and seemingly no mileage limit if renewing from extended warranty).

On 6/1/2021 at 2:26 PM, steve2006 said:

Mine would qualify on mileage having covered only 94,000 miles, unfortunately age is a different matter at 27 years old😀 

Yes mine too!