Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amazing MPG today

Today I travelled from home to Herne Bay to have a walk along the costal path to Whitstable & back.

I  managed 54mpg down there via M/way & A roads which I thought was pretty good for a 36 mile journey.

On the way back I decided to go home the country roads, 41 miles, I couldn't believe my eyes when I got home 72mpg!!!! I think that is pretty amazing for such a big car.

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

• Like 3

I was also amazed by the high mpg yesterday. Hit mid 50s on my 24mile trip yesterday. Even after quite a bit of sport mode, mid 40s was still easily achievable. 

Can also see Lexus/Toyota now offering cars under 100k/10 years a 1 year "relax" warranty on each service. Even more peace of mind. 

• Like 1

It’s only longer term averages that make any sense, say over a tankful or a week or a month or much longer. We can always quote superlative mpg figures for a short period in advantageous conditions. Mine does >99.9 mpg when sat on the driveway with the ICE off most of the time. A silly comparison I know but then so is quoting a one-off short journey.

The one way to get an accurate figure is to reset the mpg and measure it forever. A lot of people would be surprised at how much lower a long term figure was than the occasional highs seen on relatively short journeys in ideal conditions. I’ve been guilty of it myself. I’ve seen as high as 73 mpg on some journeys in an IS300H and yet my longer term average was always in the 42-44 ballpark.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Mine does >99.9 mpg when sat on the driveway with the ICE off most of the time. A silly comparison I know but then so is quoting a one-off short journey.

Perhaps not so silly given these statistics...

A UK report on parking put out last year by the RAC Foundation (and well worth a read by the way!) uses this method based on data from the UK National Travel Survey (NTS) (see p.23):

“… there are about 25 billion car trips per year, and with some 27 million cars, this suggests an average of just under 18 trips per car every week. Since the duration of the average car trip is about 20 minutes, the typical car is only on the move for 6 hours in the week: for the remaining 162 hours it is stationary – parked.”

Since there are 168 hours in a week, the typical UK car is parked 96.5% of the time

https://www.racfoundation.org/research/mobility/spaced-out-perspectives-on-parking

It’s still the average of all of these journeys that defines a car’s true mpg figure. It is not one short journey in highly favourable conditions quoted in isolation. It’s great to see fantastic highs but they are necessarily representative. Interesting post though, thanks for sharing 👍 Some very interesting information in that article

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Perhaps not so silly given these statistics...

A UK report on parking put out last year by the RAC Foundation (and well worth a read by the way!) uses this method based on data from the UK National Travel Survey (NTS) (see p.23):

“… there are about 25 billion car trips per year, and with some 27 million cars, this suggests an average of just under 18 trips per car every week. Since the duration of the average car trip is about 20 minutes, the typical car is only on the move for 6 hours in the week: for the remaining 162 hours it is stationary – parked.”

Since there are 168 hours in a week, the typical UK car is parked 96.5% of the time

https://www.racfoundation.org/research/mobility/spaced-out-perspectives-on-parking

No way to run an airline is it Peter ?