Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Laser wheel alignment

Barryhi

Took my car in for its 2 year service yesterday.  I was advised that a complimentary wheel alignment test was now included as routine.  Surprise, surprise, my car failed and had to have a full 4 wheel alignment at a cost of £85.

Is this a money making gimmick from Lexus?

42 minutes ago, Barryhi said:

Is this a money making gimmick from Lexus?

It's been part of a major service for some time although many dealers don't have the equipment to perform the check (yet don't give you a service discount because all the work isn't being done).

It's a way for a dealer to make money if work needs doing, and I'm sure many people will accept rather than going to the trouble of booking in alignment elsewhere, but you don't have to accept their offer.

I'd certainly like to think that they aren't 'accidentally' leaning on the wheel as they take a reading to make an extra sale, in the same way that I trust them to actually change the brake fluid when they have said they would etc. Obviously Lexus GB and the police would be interested in any fraudulent activities should there be any evidence of that. 

55 minutes ago, Barryhi said:

my car failed and had to have a full 4 wheel alignment

did they show you the  " red "  printout ? to tell it needed adjustment 

Malc

I was interested to see the Lexus all clear, as I had recently had a Hunter alignment done.

Last year they offered me an air con refresh, emphasis on the con. This year no effort to bump up the measly service bill. £240.

I would be curious to know how many Lexus owners are offered a complimentary wheel alignment and how many of these fail and have to pay for the full wheel alignment. In Italy we use to say that thinking badly makes you sin but often you get it right. 5 years ago I went for the service of 200,000 km at the Toyota/Lexus dealer in Cork. I asked to have the spark plugs changed and also the transmission oil changed. I had been told that the service would have costed approximately 200 euros and I ended up paying 424 euros. They even put on my Prius the 10W40 oil instead of 05W30 or 0W20. When I complained with Toyota Ireland they said that the dealer had been right and that 10W40 was the correct gradation given the high mileage of my Prius. That was the first and last time I went to the main dealer for servicing my car.  

I have had it down three times during service. Once it was needing done (and yes they did show me the red stuff during the service walk round video and in the health check), the second time was green and the third time they said it was minor but did not really need done. 

I have no worries about being conned - my dealer is excellent and one of the main reasons I own a Lexus. I also bring my own oil (which saves at least £60 a service) and use my LOC discount. My last service on my GS450h was less than £160. 

• 1 month later...

Had a free wheel alignment check last Friday and no adjustment required, all in tolerance. I asked for it to be done as part of the service and having four new tyres fitted at the same time.

43 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Had a free wheel alignment check last Friday

It's built into the price of the service (major) so not exactly free but nice that you got it done, my two locals dealers don't have the equipment 😞 

8 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

It's built into the price of the service (major) so not exactly free but nice that you got it done, my two locals dealers don't have the equipment 😞 

Cheers. Lexus Cheltenham has a Hunter setup so I’m happy for them to do it.

talking to my indy about these checks ...  red is the worry, green is clear ..........  red in the front probably needs all the necessary adjustments done BUT red at the rear might not be anything to worry about particularly and one could live with it and not affect normal driving capabilities ....... maybe

ALSO take great care with the guys doing any adjustments ...........   seized nuts can shear and cause lots of ££££s to replace bits and pieces ...  especially with older cars ...........  a few days of WD40 type attention before adjusting to the extreme, to avoid shearing issues, might save lots of dosh ........ should there be an opportunity to return to the garage later to finish off any adjustments ................

I left mine overnight once when the adjuster guy thought it might be prudent to allow the WD40 stuff to penetrate and do it's work .......  the replacement bits were several hundreds ££££ on my Ls400 had the nuts sheared ........ next day he managed the adjustments without excess damage to my wallet thankfully:wink3:

Malc

• Like 1