Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1990 LS400 brake upgrade options

Hi, has anyone upgraded/changed the front calipers and discs on a Mk1 LS400 to the later Mk3 94/95 + 4 pot calipers and discs? I've read that the Mk3 94/95 + calipers and discs are a straight swop but may need the 16 inch wheels and possibly the later bottom ball joints then alignment. Just wondered if anyone has done this successfully and whether it was as easy as it sounds.

The later front  4 pot callipers will bolt straight onto the hub mounts after removing the original carrier brackets.

Later LBJs or an angle grinder if left original ( latter not recommended).

Discs are larger diameter so dust shields will also need modifying.

Wheel clearance, 16” may fit dependent of design but generally 17” plus.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, I have the later LBJ's already which are part of the many new suspension parts I have for the 95 mk3 I had before but didn't fit. I also have a set of 16inch rims, they need refurbishing but will do the job to see if they will fit etc. If the later dust shields will fit maybe the best idea is to buy new ones, £43 each from LPD.

This is all hypothetical at the moment, I'm looking at a 1990 LS400 tonight, Taupe Metallic 3H9 I think, brown interior, 100k, been stored for the last 10 years, looks in great condition, EML light is on, brakes need attention anyway (no surprise with that) and is the reason for this post (if they need doing I may as wheel look into upgrading them). Bodywork looks very good but I need to look underneath, round the arches, lower arches, in the lh/rh boot wells for rot and the normal general areas. I prefer the mk3 out of all the LS400's but if this one is as good as it looks, and will have to be very very good, then I could live the brown interior. It looks proper retro 90's inside and it's worth a look at least as it's only 30 mins away from me.

Also, tomorrow I'm looking at a 95 LS400, looks in amazing condition, 104k, Metallic grey and maybe Moonstone Pearl, timing belt/water pump/dissy caps/rotor arms/plugs/aux belt done last year. It has a few mods, coil overs, 18 inch rims with new tyres last year, stereo replaced with a touch screen modern unit with amps and subs in the boot but original stereo is with the car. It's not cheap, nearly 3 x times the 1990 LS400 but all the parts I have will fit. It wouldn't take much working out which car this is on eBay😉

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

I'm looking at a 1990 LS400 tonight, Taupe Metallic 3H9 I think, brown interior, 100k

I would think this to be a very rare car these days and if memory serves then might be on 15" wheels ............  they look the same as the 16" but have one spoke less

Malc

3 hours ago, Malc said:

I would think this to be a very rare car these days and if memory serves then might be on 15" wheels

Yep, there isn't many of that vintage about and the wheels are 15" but the car will need to be in really good condition underneath otherwise I won't be interested. I'll find out tonight though as much as I can without putting it on a ramp. I'll also make some notes and post it on here if I don't buy it, someone else may be interested.

A mechanic friend of mine told me if I was looking at a car that hadn't been run for a while to make sure they hadn't started the car before viewing and soon as you do start it look out for black exhaust fumes. If you get fumes like that the valve seals have gone. All rubber seals deteriorate without use.

Seller of the 1990 LS400 has cancelled for today, car is struggling to run due to old fuel and a new fuel pump ordered apparently, not a surprise after being sat for 10 years in a barn, pump should be fitted next week..........................it may not be the right car for me but will probably have a look anyway next week if the 95 LS400 I'm looking at tomorrow isn't for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shanra said:

A mechanic friend of mine told me if I was looking at a car that hadn't been run for a while to make sure they hadn't started the car before viewing and soon as you do start it look out for black exhaust fumes. If you get fumes like that the valve seals have gone. All rubber seals deteriorate without use.

Good advice, I know the car has been in a barn for 10 years but I don't know if it has been started periodically in that time. Not happening tonight anyway and I may have found another before next week.

Paul ............  just picked this up from a   Malcolmdc   post in the Catastrophic Failures posting section a while back

might be useful for you too

Malc

Just had the front upper balljoint/wishbones replaced on my Mk 1, but had to get these from Kansas, USA, cos obsolete at Lexus UK and everyone else I tried first! They are known (apparently) for not lasting well. My Garage Man (who also has a venerable Mk 2) warned me of rear radius arm box sections which rust and break from inside, and were apparently a recall item in the dim and distant past! Well done for flagging all these potential disasters "

57 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

Seller of the 1990 LS400 has cancelled for today, car is struggling to run due to old fuel and a new fuel pump ordered apparently, not a surprise after being sat for 10 years in a barn, pump should be fitted next week..........................it may not be the right car for me but will probably have a look anyway next week if the 95 LS400 I'm looking at tomorrow isn't for me.

Is this the one with the rear left side cluster damaged? If it is, I've seen pictures of this car, and it does look very nice 

Well I looked at the 95 LS400 this afternoon, after 10 mins I was on my way back home. The car looked stunning in the flesh and the coil overs gave it a nice stance along with the refurbished LS430 18” wheels, it really did look spot on. Interior excellent etc, so far so good. Checked the rear arches and the trims were missing, looked closer at the inner arches at the bottom where I had issues and work had been done and I could feel filler or something and could pick bits of rusted metal or filler with rust stuck to it. Seller did say some rust on the outside of the passenger lower arch had been sorted between the door and the arch. I think it had rusted through from the inner arch hence the other work on the inner arch. The arches have been worked on and filled I think then painted but the paint finish was really good and you couldn’t tell it’s been painted. Running fingers round the inside of the arch lips told the story…………….so that was it, thanks but no thanks. I had taken my rhino ramps and a list of things to check but it all stayed in the car. It was a shame as on first look I thought it may be worth pursuing, it did look stunning though and the suspension mods and wheels really made the car look better and more modern, if I find another car I think it would be worth putting the LS430 18” wheels on.

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

might be that 1990 one then

It might be Malc, we’ll see next week. It will be more of a ‘project’ which I was looking for really. Might be an investment as well judging by how prices for Japanese rear wheel cars are going. 

• Like 1