Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E bay am I naive ?

Hi I have been using E bay for a few years mostly O K but of course careful of scammers and chancers.I always check the feed back on the seller for peace of mind .I recently ordered a couple of parts for a bike I am converting to an E bike ,with the current situation anything to do with bikes is difficult and there were no local stockists, this on line shop advertised U K stock and quick delivery checked 98% good .Got the usual thanks for your order ,then nothing for 4 weeks no replies to E mails etc ,contacted  Paypal immediate refund ,now the point of this post ,the transaction was still open so I sent in a fair polite low feedback ,the seller has just contacted me saying he will pay me and send me a form to change my rating to a favourable one ; I did not know this was a feasible option and it now undermines my perception of selling on E bay or is it a scam to obtain my payment details ? I sent back an E mail explaining poor service was his problem not mine 

Dave

You can edit feedback via eBay itself, however I would not bother. You got you money back from paypal, you left fair feedback for the service and there is no need to contact the seller any longer or communicate at all. 

• Like 6

I’m naturally suspicious of eBay anyway, but it certainly sounds like you have good cause in this case, Dave.

I presume you had been given no explanation as to the non-delivery of items for which you had paid or why your messages had been ignored.  I guess that accepting a direct refund would have involved giving your account details to an individual who had already demonstrated their unreliability.  As has already been mentioned, you’ve had your refund from eBay.  So no reason to alter a deservedly bad review.

If this seller had been genuine, they could of course have simply supplied the items to you FOC as compensation, with some story to explain the exceptional failure of service. For example, a COVID attack, short term in prison etc.

1 hour ago, true blue said:

Hi I have been using E bay for a few years mostly O K but of course careful of scammers and chancers.I always check the feed back on the seller for peace of mind .I recently ordered a couple of parts for a bike I am converting to an E bike ,with the current situation anything to do with bikes is difficult and there were no local stockists, this on line shop advertised U K stock and quick delivery checked 98% good .Got the usual thanks for your order ,then nothing for 4 weeks no replies to E mails etc ,contacted  Paypal immediate refund ,now the point of this post ,the transaction was still open so I sent in a fair polite low feedback ,the seller has just contacted me saying he will pay me and send me a form to change my rating to a favourable one ; I did not know this was a feasible option and it now undermines my perception of selling on E bay or is it a scam to obtain my payment details ? I sent back an E mail explaining poor service was his problem not mine 

Dave

Yes, it's true, ratings can be retrospectively changed. I can see how, in genuine circumstances, a mistake from a seller can be made but as long as it is rectified all is good and a good rating awarded. In your case you got refunded by PayPal via eBay, in my experience the system works very well, although the new system where eBay has dropped PayPal for sellers is interesting. I am sure offering money for a good rating is out of bounds and imagine if you had a component problem and invoked warranty 😱

Some of you know my views of eBay.......the world’s biggest counterfeit store.

Paypal were the “buffer” between buyers/sellers and eBay now they are going direct you are basically giving them, via variable Direct Debit, authorisation to take payments as they see fit with 3 days notice instead of the normal 14 days notice from what I understand.

Reports to eBay regarding suspected ( in most cases obvious) counterfeit goods being sold result in nothing being done, a seller who from feedback has sold a few used household items suddenly has 100 plus cordless drills for £10.00 each delivered. In most cases the account has been hacked and from there hacking into your linked bank account for those who know how is probably a few clicks of the mouse.

Fleabay....what’s not to like 😀

• Like 1

Thanks guys ,I only brought it up because I had not come across it before ,as you say I have my refund and no harm done ; with regard to counterfeit goods ,that is a real problem ,especially in areas of safety; brakes ,steering etc fashion goods don't concern me ,

Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links