Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox Problems

MWAF

What is the most common problem?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most common problem?

• Clunky (especially from 1st to 2nd)
    • Noisy (makes howling type noise in motion)
    • Squeaky
    • Juddery (usually in first)
    • Other (Please specify)

Well i have had my IS all most a year now and all i have had to do to it is get NEW front pads for it, when i got the car it had 79000 on it now it has 92000 on it, my thinking is that not all the IS200 are alike! you just must have got a bad one, and i have to say this is the BEST car i have had and i have had a lot of cars in my time : B)

P.S i would all ways buy lexus from NOW! on. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my IS200 for 2 months and apart from slight clunk from 1-2 and sometimes from 2-3 it is by far the best car I've driven / owned.... :) I will only ever buy another IS. I only know of a handful of people in my town who own an IS200.....beemers are 2 a penny....I just love it.

• 1 year later...

hello ,

I have a 52 plate is200 and am suffering from gearbox noises , the gearbox is whiney in most gears especially 1 - 3, it sometimes clunks into 2nd and I am getting a bass droning noise whilst in 4th gear between 50 and 60 mph which is most noticable when the acellerator is released , this disappears when the clutch is pressed. I also get heavy vibration in the gearstick in first gear when accelerating.

I have had lexus stockport recently look into this and the changed the gearbox oil and diff oil and added what they called a bung to the gearbox to reduce or eleviate the bass droning problem , this bung is what they descibed as a counter ballance weight attached to the back of the gearbox.

None of these solutions eleviated the problems and I am now awaiting Lexus is suggestion to resolving these problems

cheers

My gearbox isn't a mega issue for me although i did get the clunk from 1st to 2nd on the odd accation but most of all the whining noise.To try and cure this i used ZX1 which is an addative and i think its great stuff and so far its spot on and not been a problem.

whiny gearbox, almost sounds like straight cut gears on it, also not so much clunky, as very precise (i.e. get your gearchanges and engine revs matched if you want smooth progress, which is an experience in itself due to the wonderful electronic throttle) but i can and will live with it because it is a minor niggle to me

Can't really fault the gearbox, you do need bit of a 'robust' action first thing on a cold morning going from 1st to 2nd.

The gear change feels very much like my old E30 3 series IIRC, but that was a few years ago

I've had the car from new, its done less than 6000 miles so maybe I'll have all this to look forward to :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

I just voted for "Juddery" but do get clunks from 1st to 2nd.

Coincidently its gone in to Hatfield today for a new clutch and flywheel to try and cure it!!

Its only done 28k. A bit worrying really!!

My old IS had 88k on it and was fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted for 'other'. Mine, now at 9000 miles, has developed a rumble in sixth at 60+mph. Felt almost like a badly balanced wheel. It's now in the process of having sixth changed and has been with the dealer for a week, which worries me.

• 2 months later...
My gearbox isn't a mega issue for me although i did get the clunk from 1st to 2nd on the odd accation but most of all the whining noise.To try and cure this i used ZX1 which is an addative and i think its great stuff and so far its spot on and not been a problem.

Hi I also have slight judder problems and difficulty in getting it into 2nd and occassionaly 3rd especially when cold. Baggy you say you use ZX1. I am a little new to the mechanics involved but do you add the ZX1 to the gear box oil? And what gear box oil do you use? The car has only done 33,000 miles 51 reg and I guess to get rid of the judder will be to change the clutch? Does any one know whats the best type of clutch to use original lexus one or an alternative?

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Ive got a IS200 SE NAV the very last edition model with all the extras, it came with so many extras including a thumpy sounding gearbox, or is it the gearbox? Ive been told its not the gearbox as ive so far had the sleeves and synchro replace and had the car driven by Lexus GB head engineer who told me its the rear diff knocking against its mounting, which is caused by my driving style, which also includes all my friends and family who have the same problem. with it.

Im currently taking action against my dealership as the customer service is so bad it makes you sick. As a solution though they did suggest I trade the car in for £12k when I bought it for £17k 5 months earlier, ~I dont think so!!!.

If anyone can give me information on this issue or know a solution then I would love to hear from you.

:tsktsk:

• 2 weeks later...

150'00kms and counting. Synchro's are worn, but the gearbox is only marginally 'clunkier' then when i first got hold of it. I've driven smoother gearboxes (MX5) and clunkier gearboxes (anyone driven a landcruiser?) Or Holden (read: Vauxhall Monaro).

It should be noted that increased amount of torque through the standard gearbox does improve the 'clunkiness' as does a short shifter, at least in my experience. This was also the case with the turbo RS200 i have driven - much smoother gearbox. I find that if i change at peak torque the shifts are almost always very smooth. Trickier with a lighter flywheel but same applies for a standard setup.

• 9 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links