Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Moving to Volvo but keeping 300h

As title, I just couldn’t find anything interesting from Lexus, I would have been really tempted had we got the new IS300h as other countries did. The current IS300h is great and my wife loves it so staying until it stops working! 
My car will be a 2020 Volvo S60 T8 plug in hybrid, it’s got epic performance figures 0-60 in 4.4 secs, supercharger and turbo charger, I’ve managed to get one without the 112mph limiter(not that I drive at that speed anyway). I managed to get one with almost every option ticked, pano roof, pitot plus, auto parking, 360 cameras, Bower and Wilkins  sound £2.5k option!, retractable towbar (unused), folding seats,  blind stop detection etc etc at a great price. I’m sure I’ll miss the Lexus reliability but just couldn’t find anything at the right price. Shame, I think there is a market for the new IS but Lexus think not.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

As title, I just couldn’t find anything interesting from Lexus, I would have been really tempted had we got the new IS300h as other countries did. The current IS300h is great and my wife loves it so staying until it stops working! 
My car will be a 2020 Volvo S60 T8 plug in hybrid, it’s got epic performance figures 0-60 in 4.4 secs, supercharger and turbo charger, I’ve managed to get one without the 112mph limiter(not that I drive at that speed anyway). I managed to get one with almost every option ticked, pano roof, pitot plus, auto parking, 360 cameras, Bower and Wilkins  sound £2.5k option!, retractable towbar (unused), folding seats,  blind stop detection etc etc at a great price. I’m sure I’ll miss the Lexus reliability but just couldn’t find anything at the right price. Shame, I think there is a market for the new IS but Lexus think not.

As I said in a different thread, the current crop of Volvos are very nice indeed. They would be my choice if I wanted to change from Lexus. As for reliability, what I read doesn’t suggest any great concerns. Yes, they seem to have more minor issues than you might expect - erratic panel gaps especially for some reason - but based on the experience of a close friend the dealer was excellent and sorted quickly and without fuss. From new (XC40) she had a few trim rattles, and two doors along with the rear bumper and tailgate needed adjusting, but aside from a recall she’s had no other problems since in a couple of years.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PCM said:

Quite quick then!

Yeh, 390bhp so doesn’t hang around. Saying that it actuality it doesn’t feel like it has that much power on tap, well as much as you can on a 15 minute test drive. Car being delivered next week.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

As I said in a different thread, the current crop of Volvos are very nice indeed. They would be my choice if I wanted to change from Lexus. As for reliability, what I read doesn’t suggest any great concerns. Yes, they seem to have more minor issues than you might expect - erratic panel gaps especially for some reason - but based on the experience of a close friend the dealer was excellent and sorted quickly and without fuss. From new (XC40) she had a few trim rattles, and two doors along with the rear bumper and tailgate needed adjusting, but aside from a recall she’s had no other problems since in a couple of years.

Thanks, hopefully will be ok, mines used 69 plate, all looked good, I can’t believe the extras, see what this B&W sound is all about. The tow bar was a massive £1175, can’t believe people pay that, shame as it’s never been used and I’ll never use it, decent bit of kit how you can’t see it, hopefully will be desirable to someone come sale time.

S60 is a very nice car, I considered one before I bought my Is300h.

I have had Volvos for the last 9 years & they have been trouble free really other than a couple of recalls, if you can find a good dealer for service etc it makes all the difference.

The menu system can be a bit quirky, but like everything it becomes second nature after a while, a bit like the Is menu.😊

Enjoy the car.👍

• Thanks 1

I took thesame route. Couldnt find anything interesting in the Lexus range after the 250 and 300h and went for Volvo. ( or OVLOV as we called it in my SAAB days..) Got an XC40 and now a V60 T5. Cars are really fine. Chassis wise above par, very practical and its not a German.

Buildquality is good but not as good a lexus. Materialchoice etc. Infotainment big step forward but coming from Lexus everything is... Styling great, good looks. Engine not good not bad as is the gearbox. Overall positive.

I will not go for another ovlov again as the Brand does not stick to me i feel no emotional connection which i did with Lexus. But that is personal of course!

In your T8 make sure you dont run it without warranty. Turbocharging, supercharging and an electric motor paired to a 4 cylinder pumping out 400hp is quite a complicated unit..

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

I took thesame route. Couldnt find anything interesting in the Lexus range after the 250 and 300h and went for Volvo. ( or OVLOV as we called it in my SAAB days..) Got an XC40 and now a V60 T5. Cars are really fine. Chassis wise above par, very practical and its not a German.

Buildquality is good but not as good a lexus. Materialchoice etc. Infotainment big step forward but coming from Lexus everything is... Styling great, good looks. Engine not good not bad as is the gearbox. Overall positive.

I will not go for another ovlov again as the Brand does not stick to me i feel no emotional connection which i did with Lexus. But that is personal of course!

In your T8 make sure you dont run it without warranty. Turbocharging, supercharging and an electric motor paired to a 4 cylinder pumping out 400hp is quite a complicated unit..

Haha, yes I have a Lexus with full extended warranty so will certainly have one if I keep it! I can see what you mean about it being a good car but not really loving it, it went for the T8 to give it more of a chance and I’m hoping the performance and all the gadgets will keep me interested, it certainly looks good with the 19” upgraded wheels. Even though it’s being delivered next week o already have a feeling it will be a stop gap car. I got a great deal and one of the few car I’ve seen with that amount of desirable extras, it should make it easier to sell and not damage my wallet too much. I would have probably gone BMW M340i but I just couldn’t justify the £10k uplift for a basic spec car. I did think about getting the T5 version but price difference was not that much, the plug in will hopefully work for me as commute is 20 miles a day, I’m full aware once the Battery range is exhausted, it a 400bhp car with the running costs to match! It had to be worth a shot as so disappointed with what Lexus has to offer.