Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi.

I have a lexus ls400 1998 model thats sitting in my garage for a while now , I am planning to sell it soon , it has no MOT , I tried a few online temporary insurance websites but it seems like most dont cover cars of that age , I wanted to take the old girl for its mot and perhaps a last drive.

Does anybody know any temporary insurance website that covers these cars?

Thanks

I've used Aviva to cover a car temporarily in the past (not an LS400 though). The eligibility criteria below would suggest you would be covered - including the maximum engine cc, just about! 😉

https://www.aviva.co.uk/insurance/motor/short-term-car-insurance/

• Like 1

I have tried aviva plus , I think aviva short term  is using dayinsure.com which wont insure an LS.

The MOT station is down the road from me , probably 1min drive , I just dont want to take the risk driving there with no insurance , sods law you know.

I might speak to the MOT guys see if they can drive it to their place ...

I might be tempted to List it for sale as it is, with no MOT , 

• Like 1

If the garage have a trade plate then that might be a possibility, if they agree to collect it, because it should be on their insurance policy.

Have you asked your current insurers to add it as a temporary additional vehicle?

One of the conditions on an insurance policy is that the vehicle should be roadworthy.

Is it worth asking the garage to do a pre-MoT inspection, at your house, to highlight any potential issues?

Road Tax is not required provided you have an appointment for the MoT test, although I think the aforementioned trade plate would include that anyway.

I wouldn't recommend selling the car without an MoT because it will not only significantly reduce the price achieved but also appeal to far fewer buyers, potentially limiting your market to someone looking for a project/bargain and who doesn't live too far away (or who has a low loader).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Howplum said:

If the garage have a trade plate then that might be a possibility, if they agree to collect it, because it should be on their insurance policy.

Have you asked your current insurers to add it as a temporary additional vehicle?

One of the conditions on an insurance policy is that the vehicle should be roadworthy.

Is it worth asking the garage to do a pre-MoT inspection, at your house, to highlight any potential issues?

Road Tax is not required provided you have an appointment for the MoT test, although I think the aforementioned trade plate would include that anyway.

I wouldn't recommend selling the car without an MoT because it will not only significantly reduce the price achieved but also appeal to far fewer buyers, potentially limiting your market to someone looking for a project/bargain and who doesn't live too far away (or who has a low loader).

Hi .

I found online a website called clickmechanic , who seem to offer MOT delivery and collection for 75quid , However they don't state wether the car has to have a valid MOT , I presume they drive it on trade plates , so It wont be needed.

I understand you are allowed to drive a MOT expired car to a pre-booked MOT without penalty BUT it MUST be insured ......  and roadworthy

............ driving on Trade Plates overcomes all of this with the car on the traders insce of course

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I understand you are allowed to drive a MOT expired car to a pre-booked MOT without penalty BUT it MUST be insured ......  and roadworthy

............ driving on Trade Plates overcomes all of this with the car on the traders insce of course

Malc

Exactly this.

And I always use https://www.tempcover.com/ when I go to collect a new to me car and need insurance for a day or two.

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 8:21 PM, amazighman said:

Also found a website called Veygo.com , apparently run by Admiral , they seem to offer temporary insurance on such old cars.

Yeah Veygo does temporary car insurance for cars that are up to 30 years old  https://www.veygo.com/temporary-car-insurance/

• Like 1