Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaking/squealing from 2014 IS300h F-Sport when driving at low speed and braking - ready to sell as I can't take it anymore.

Is it a metallic squeak or a rubber kind of squeak? Doesnt seem like general hybrid "lack of brake use" glazing if its happening whilst moving

19 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Obviously no issue to get OE brake pads and discs replaced by a non-Lexus dealer, but will the non-standard pads cause any warranty issue?

No, they just don't warranty the non-standard part (or a failure of another part due to the non-standard part). Pads aren't under warranty anyway.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

A stone or stones caught between the backing plate and the disc on one of the front corners perhaps?

If this turns out to be a possibility, then find a large quiet space and reverse at speed, then apply brakes. This might just release any trapped stones.

13 hours ago, rayaans said:

Is it a metallic squeak or a rubber kind of squeak? Doesnt seem like general hybrid "lack of brake use" glazing if its happening whilst moving

It's a metallic squeak that happens while driving at low speed and has progressed to a loud squeaking just before you stop as well.

Thanks 

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

If this turns out to be a possibility, then find a large quiet space and reverse at speed, then apply brakes. This might just release any trapped stones.

Could do John. The only way I’ve been able to clear this is to remove the wheel and then use  a non metallic (wood, strong plastic, etc) lever of some sort to gently ease the backing plate away from the disc. The stones then fall out. Don’t damage the surface of the disc though.

41 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

A stone or stones caught between the backing plate and the disc on one of the front corners perhaps?

Hi, I doubt that as the discs and pads on all corners were changed and it came back and since then both front calipers have been changed so they should have gone with the old kit.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ken83 said:

It's a metallic squeak that happens while driving at low speed and has progressed to a loud squeaking just before you stop as well.

Thanks 

Might be dry too suspension mount bushes? This would explain why it sounds worse with some steering lock on. Squirt a little silicone based grease into the top mounts inside the engine bay. This won’t be a permanent fix but it will show up if this is a possible cause because the noise will disappear for a while.

4 minutes ago, Ken83 said:

Hi, I doubt that as the discs and pads on all corners were changed and it came back and since then both front calipers have been changed so they should have gone with the old kit.

Thanks

Unless you regularly drive down a road that has a lot of small stones at the edge of the road. There was one road where I always picked up stones like this. It was the outside of a 90 degree corner on a country road that was regularly top dressed with stones. I often had to stick to the extreme left hand side of the road as other vehicles came round the corner and it just seemed to flick the stones up at the right angle to get stuck behind the near side disc. That said, I’m sure the garage that replaced the discs would have said if there were stones caught behind the disc. You’re probably right Ken, I doubt it is this.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Could do John. The only way I’ve been able to clear this is to remove the wheel and then use  a non metallic (wood, strong plastic, etc) lever of some sort to gently ease the backing plate away from the disc. The stones then fall out. Don’t damage the surface of the disc though.

All I can say Paul is that what I suggested did work for me.

Yours could work too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Might be dry too suspension mount bushes? This would explain why it sounds worse with some steering lock on. Squirt a little silicone based grease into the top mounts inside the engine bay. This won’t be a permanent fix but it will show up if this is a possible cause because the noise will disappear for a while.

Embarrassingly I'm not very mechanical. How would I do this and would I need to remove wheels etc or a well placed spray of WD40 could suffice?

Thanks

Ken 

11 minutes ago, Ken83 said:

or a well placed spray of WD40 could suffice?

Silicone spray works better than WD40. Some debate over WD40's long term effect on rubber and will attract more dirt than silicone which would cause wear.

• Like 1

No one seems to have mentioned that it could be the parking brake shoes binding? Suggest going down hill and giving the pedal a couple of clicks. Both during forwards and reversing.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

No one seems to have mentioned that it could be the parking brake shoes binding? Suggest going down hill and giving the pedal a couple of clicks. Both during forwards and reversing.

Great Teamwork Paul. Life is a continuing Brainstorming session !😊😊

4 hours ago, Ken83 said:

Thanks 

At least I am not alone with this issue.  

My 2013, 46k mile, is300h is behaving in the exact same way - also seems to be coming from the front left wheel and like Ken has said it is very annoying.

I can hear the sound when I am driving along the motorway at 70mph, just have to pass another vehicle and the sound is reflected back from the vehicle I am passing.

Other than this issue I cannot fault the car at all, it is my first Lexus and I would like to think I will continue to stay loyal to the Lexus brand. 

My car is due a service next week at Lexus, let's see what they have to say about this. Will Lexus Relax cover this issue in the future?

57 minutes ago, Tronix said:

My 2013, 46k mile, is300h is behaving in the exact same way - also seems to be coming from the front left wheel and like Ken has said it is very annoying.

I can hear the sound when I am driving along the motorway at 70mph, just have to pass another vehicle and the sound is reflected back from the vehicle I am passing.

Other than this issue I cannot fault the car at all, it is my first Lexus and I would like to think I will continue to stay loyal to the Lexus brand. 

My car is due a service next week at Lexus, let's see what they have to say about this. Will Lexus Relax cover this issue in the future?

You share my pain! This is sounding more and more like a common issue. Check that it doesn't get worse when you turn left? Not sure if it will be covered by relax - everything they've done for me has been under extended warranty. I like the car too but this and how easily the center console scratches (sometimes after cleaning) are really spoiling the experience for me. It's also my first Lexus. Hopefully I can find a solution that benefits everyone who has the same.

3 hours ago, PRT68 said:

Thanks PRT 68 - so if I understand correctly, drive downhill and depress the footbrake a couple of clicks? What should I expect a louder sound or should that fix the problem?

Hopefully it should de-glaze the shoes. They are only used when the car is stationary, so applying when moving may relocate them and roughing them up. Do it on a quiet piece of road, at about 15 mph, gradually pressing the pedal clicks until the car stops. Repeat this 2 or 3 times going backwards as well as forwards. Also drive for about a hundred metres with a couple of clicks down, just enough to feel some retardation. Keep the gearbox in drive, ignoring the bong! Don't use the normal brake pedal, just the park brake pedal.

21 hours ago, Tronix said:

Mines more of a catching squeek, like it does it every rotation of the wheel and the quicker you go the quicker the squeek until it disapears at speed. Which as some said could be catching breaks or hand break. But havent tried the hard breaking yet but will do and see if it does the trick.

21 hours ago, Tronix said:

Do report back Tronix as we would all like to know how RELAX is going to work.🤞 

• 3 weeks later...

The squealing brakes issue has finally been resolved 😀

So over the past few weeks the noise became more and more permanent and was driving me crazy.

During a recent service Lexus had said that the “brakes may need a clean as brake dust can cause this issue” and they would charge £120 for this - but I would have to book the car in for another time as they did not have enough time to do the work.  

I decided to take the car to a mechanic friend of mine who knew what the problem was as soon as I described the issue.

The rear brakes on the IS300h have brake pads to slow the car down during normal driving and brake shoes for parking.

The rear pads had worn down and were sticking to the brake disc whenever they were being used and this was the constant squealing noise, the rear brake shoes were also well on their way to being completely worn out.

Rear brake discs, brake pads and brake shoes were all replaced and now the car dives like new once again and I am one very happy Lexus driver.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:44 AM, royoftherovers said:

Do report back Tronix as we would all like to know how RELAX is going to work.🤞 

I was contacted by my local Lexus dealership and offered a great deal to have my car serviced, valeted and courtesy car supplied for £109 - I thought what’s not to like at that price?

When I collected the car I quizzed the service department about Lexus Relax and was informed that I would not receive the cover due to the cost of the service being so low ???

I received a follow up call from the dealership asking if I was happy with everything when the car was serviced and I raised my concerns about not receiving the Lexus Relax cover even though the car was serviced at a Lexus dealership in June 2021 and I was informed when being offered the £109 offer that I would receive the Lexus Relax cover.  I was informed that I did in fact receive the cover although they do not provide a certificate to inform the vehicle owner of this, I managed to get them to email me proof of my Lexus Relax cover which they did. I will leave the matter closed now until I need to use the Lexus Relax cover (which I doubt I will as the cars are very well built)

Hope this lengthy reply has helped out at least one person who also has squeaky brakes.

• Like 5

On 6/27/2021 at 12:39 PM, Tronix said:

The squealing brakes issue has finally been resolved 😀

So over the past few weeks the noise became more and more permanent and was driving me crazy.

During a recent service Lexus had said that the “brakes may need a clean as brake dust can cause this issue” and they would charge £120 for this - but I would have to book the car in for another time as they did not have enough time to do the work.  

I decided to take the car to a mechanic friend of mine who knew what the problem was as soon as I described the issue.

The rear brakes on the IS300h have brake pads to slow the car down during normal driving and brake shoes for parking.

The rear pads had worn down and were sticking to the brake disc whenever they were being used and this was the constant squealing noise, the rear brake shoes were also well on their way to being completely worn out.

Rear brake discs, brake pads and brake shoes were all replaced and now the car dives like new once again and I am one very happy Lexus driver.

I was contacted by my local Lexus dealership and offered a great deal to have my car serviced, valeted and courtesy car supplied for £109 - I thought what’s not to like at that price?

When I collected the car I quizzed the service department about Lexus Relax and was informed that I would not receive the cover due to the cost of the service being so low ???

I received a follow up call from the dealership asking if I was happy with everything when the car was serviced and I raised my concerns about not receiving the Lexus Relax cover even though the car was serviced at a Lexus dealership in June 2021 and I was informed when being offered the £109 offer that I would receive the Lexus Relax cover.  I was informed that I did in fact receive the cover although they do not provide a certificate to inform the vehicle owner of this, I managed to get them to email me proof of my Lexus Relax cover which they did. I will leave the matter closed now until I need to use the Lexus Relax cover (which I doubt I will as the cars are very well built)

Hope this lengthy reply has helped out at least one person who also has squeaky brakes.

Thanks so much for getting back on this!

It's funny you mention the brake dust as I told my wife that perhaps I was imagining it but it seemed that the noise went down or stopped for a short while after I washed the car at one of those jet wash places. But this seemed intermittent (probably because the level of service differs depending on how busy they are/who actually washes the car). But I think you're onto something there.

The only piece that doesn't work with mine is that I had a full disc and pad change in Nov 19 and the noise started back about a week later so I don't think mine is the discs/pads. I've done around 15k miles since but the noise has been there constantly. 

I will however mention the brake shoes to them (when I take it back for the same issue in July) and hope they can take a look and see if they are going. I did try the driving with the handbrake on suggestion given here by a helpful contributor but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Ultimately to reduce the noise, I probably need to change the brake pads to a set that don't cause as much dust and are not original Lexus. Can anyone recommend any good replacement brake pads pls? I have had EBC red stuff mentioned before but reading reviews they seem like racing pads as a lot said they are only 'ok' until they heat up. Not much chance of that on the 10 minute school run and don't want to compromise the family's safety.

On another note and in order not to start a new thread unless I have to, does anyone get a tapping/clicking noise coming from the front of their car going over rough ground or sometimes when turning full lock and braking lightly at the same time? I thought it was something simple like bushes (which I have had on other cars) but I mentioned to Lexus and they said they couldn't hear and everything looks fine (something we may hear more of with relax :-D), but it's definitely there and been getting louder over the last year.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Ken 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links