Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaking/squealing from 2014 IS300h F-Sport when driving at low speed and braking - ready to sell as I can't take it anymore.

17 minutes ago, Ken83 said:

I have had EBC red stuff mentioned before but reading reviews they seem like racing pads as a lot said they are only 'ok' until they heat up. Not much chance of that on the 10 minute school run and don't want to compromise the family's safety.

Red aren't track pads and don't need to be heated before they work but may be a little worse in this regard than OEM. The range goes Green, Red, Yellow, Blue.   Green is best suited to smaller vehicles, Red is for larger vehicle road use, Yellow is high performance road/light track and Blue is track.

• 8 months later...

Hello. 

Did you solve the issue? 

I'm having a is300h with similar problem. Normally driving small distances and everything is fine but when driving a bit more so everything is wormed up I have a squeaking noise from front. It's squeaking at all the speeds slow and fast and increasing while breaking. But when everything cools down then its spot on, no noises. 

Just don't want to changing bits after bits until it's solved. Thanks 

On 3/25/2022 at 4:52 PM, Darkmajancjone said:

Hello. 

Did you solve the issue? 

I'm having a is300h with similar problem. Normally driving small distances and everything is fine but when driving a bit more so everything is wormed up I have a squeaking noise from front. It's squeaking at all the speeds slow and fast and increasing while breaking. But when everything cools down then its spot on, no noises. 

Just don't want to changing bits after bits until it's solved. Thanks 

Hello,

In the end after taking it back to Lexus about 4 or 5 times, they decided to take apart the brakes (don't ask me which bit as they had already changed both front calipers to no avail) and when they did they realized that the insides were "bone dry". No grease whatsoever. I think they may have mentioned something about the 'pins' but I'm not mechanically minded so not sure if that's in the caliper or somewhere else - but essentially the brakes weren't fully retracting as they were stiff. It's beyond me why you wouldn't check that? Especially since squeaks and squeals usually come about because of lack of lubrication. Anyhow, they greased it all up and the noise went away. 

I was at the dealership for a service the other day and mentioned I have a knocking/tapping coming from the front when turning at low speed or the wheels are flexing for the road surface. I've mentioned it on 2 separate services and the fault cannot be found. In that conversation I mentioned how frustrating it was to keep having to come back for an issue that can't be found or is misdiagnosed as it makes me look crazy - like the squeaking brakes. The chap who I've been dealing with for the majority of the time then said something along the lines of its quite common due to jet washes blowing the grease off during the cleaning of the wheels. Really? So why 4 to 5 visits and having to change 2 calipers, all 4 discs and pads before that was discovered to be the issue?

Anyhow, that's your best bet for getting it sorted before you try anything more costly if pads, discs etc seem fine. Just to let you know though, after close to a year, I think I heard the dreaded squeak returning the other day. Not as loud as it was when it was solved (it gets louder over time and yes seems to happen when the brakes have heated up) but I definitely heard it. So may have to get it greased again.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Cheers

Apologies guys - I should have got back to you sooner when I find a solution. At first I didn't believe it would work as I had been disappointed so many time before so didn't want to prematurely claim victory over the issue and then I just plain forgot. 

I hope the solution to my problem helps someone else. 

Thanks

Ken 

Just now, PCM said:

... I get my calliper pins re-greased at every service. 

Not much cost but a good investment I think.

At Lexus? How much are you charged please?

It's strange that's I had 2 calipers changed and still got the squeak if its to do with the pins - but maybe they started coming from the old ones, though it was just as loud after the calipers were changed. 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Ken83 said:

At Lexus? How much are you charged please?

It's strange that's I had 2 calipers changed and still got the squeak if its to do with the pins - but maybe they started coming from the old ones, though it was just as loud after the calipers were changed. 

Thanks

At an independent. About £60 for all? 

40 minutes ago, PCM said:

At an independent. About £60 for all? 

Thanks - If I can't find one near me (Thurrock), I may come back for a recommendation.

7 hours ago, Ken83 said:

Thanks - If I can't find one near me (Thurrock), I may come back for a recommendation.

There was another thread on here that said something about the calipers on the IS 300h don't have the slider pins that afflicted previous generations of IS (and probably other older models) and so they shouldn't succumb to the sticking calipers due to non lubrication of pins. Apologies if I'm mistaken but maybe worth checking before asking a garage to lubricate something that may not exist. 

Found it - from @agent_dess "I have to say im impressed with the rear calipers... they have done away with the stupid single pin and spring mechanise that they had on the IS250 mk2." 

Maybe still pins to be lubricated in that case but hopefully not the same problems as owners of the previous IS regularly experience. I haven't had any issues on my 2014 IS 300h over the 115K miles it's covered and unless something was done during standard Lexus servicing I haven't done anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just so you guys know the dreaded squeak is back. Not as bad as before but generally gets worse. May need to get the slider pins done by an indie as Lexus will be too much trouble. I'd probably need to take it in a few times. I'm likely to trade the car in soon anyhow but just wanted to make you all aware that you may need to grease the pins regularly if you experience this problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My IS300h has recently suffered this annoying screeching sound. I took it to a local garage and explained the problem.  Fortunately it happened on their test drive. They stripped the brakes and cleaned out loads of brake dust. They chap said there was "untold brake dust", so much so that he recommended a good pressure wash of the brakes when I wash the car. He said the brake "sliders" still had the original grease from the factory, but he greased them up a little more. 

That was done a week ago and, touching all the wood around me, that has solved the screech. Now I can creep around the car park in silence again.

Hope that is of some help to other members with this problem.

• Like 1

@DomThanks for the message. I did suspect that brake dust was a factor as it dusts up like you wouldn't believe! Funny what you say about the jet wash - one guy at Lexus told me that high pressure washes rather cause the issue as they blow off the grease on the calipers. 

Mine is currently at Lexus where they are changing the back calipers (front already changed) as they are sticking and they think that's the reason. It did get better after the greased them last year as they said they were sticking and causing the issue, but seems to have come back. 

the saga continues 😄  

11 hours ago, Darkmajancjone said:

I sorted mine with changing the break pads and discs and finally it stopped. 

Were they for Lexus originals or aftermarkets and if aftermarkets which pads and did you notice any change in braking?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Darkmajancjone said:

Original discs and ebc ceramic pads I put on. The only thing I noticed is no more noise and a lot less of brake dust. 

Thanks - if you let me know which ones specifically (only if you have that to hand) I'll order the set.

Incidentally, I just picked up the car after the rear caliper change and it seems to be totally silent at present.

Fingers crossed!!!

Ken

So happy i found this thread, that noise was driving me nuts. Same issue as you described ken, except that i could even hear it on the highway, as high as 130km/h. Anyway, lexus quoted me 80-160euros, depending on the time that they would take so i ended up doing it myself.

Lots and lots and lots of dust, cleaned the pads, the disks, calipers and especially the slider pins who where completely dried and stuck , greased them up real good and pushed all the air out from the little rubber boot.

Now the car feels better, the sound is gone (or i still havent heard it back again) and to add, the braking on the car feels a lot better.

I now no longer feel like im driving around a rusty wheelbarrow around town, yay!