Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to me LC500H now looking resplendent!

Brian R

Took possession of this 17 plate genuine 4K mile 500H on Wednesday this week and was able to thoroughly spruce it up yesterday. Long tiring day but I hope the results speak for themselves. Sonic Titanium and rose leather if I've got my colours right. Very impressed by the whole package and will be stretching its legs later today.

Still fathoming the infotainment system but nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe. Already a big fan of the HUD and radar/adaptive cruise control. I haven't got used to the reverse camera, despite having one on a previous Jaguar a couple of years ago. I think I am fixated on the tilting mirrors in reverse as my primary point of reference, so need to build confidence in the camera.

Hope to put some serious miles on the car in the coming months, but before then it has to receive its fourth service (a major) come July. Bizarre given the engine oil is so clean it is barely visible on the dip stick! In practice, the car has only done something like 600 miles since its last visit to the dealership! Hardly makes any sense, but it will be comforting to introduce it to my local Crawley Lexus and hopefully experience the fabled service I should receive.

All in all extremely taken with the car but now need to move on my previous cars to provide a bit more drive space!

1899353659_numberplateblotted20210605_175326.jpg

Edited by Brian R
Corrections to post
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brian R said:

I haven't got used to the reverse camera, despite having one on a previous Jaguar a couple of years ago. I think I am fixated on the tilting mirrors in reverse as my primary point of reference, so need to build confidence in the camera.

Most of my working life was spent as a telephone engineer with BT, so driving a van around all day that had no rear window or reversing camera I quickly became comfortable with using just the side mirrors for reversing and to this day I still do that in the car, even though I do occasionally glance at the camera display.

The easiest way to get used to the camera is simply to put something on your driveway (traffic cone, plastic bucket, etc) and use the camera to reverse up to it. Once the red line on the display is 'touching' the object, get out and have a look at the back and you'll see you still have a safety margin. On my RX I still have 14-15 inches before actual contact would be made.

Lovely car!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Brian R said:

I think I am fixated on the tilting mirrors in reverse as my primary point of references

You’re clearly smarter than I am, Brian.

When I got my Lexus I was very impressed with the tilting mirror, never having had one before.  But I was disappointed that it didn’t really show me enough of the kerb.

So I’m slightly ashamed to admit that it took me some time to realise that once the mirror had done that little trick, I could use the mirror controls to reposition it!  And it would return to that chosen position next time, too.

But everyone else already knew that…. 😐

16 minutes ago, LenT said:

You’re clearly smarter than I am, Brian.

When I got my Lexus I was very impressed with the tilting mirror, never having had one before.  But I was disappointed that it didn’t really show me enough of the kerb.

So I’m slightly ashamed to admit that it took me some time to realise that once the mirror had done that little trick, I could use the mirror controls to reposition it!  And it would return to that chosen position next time, too.

But everyone else already knew that…. 😐

Ah, but do you now feel better for your confession Len which, as they say, is good for the soul 😇

I think in practice I am doing my best to safeguard my laser cut alloys especially having seen my wife demolish 2 of hers  in one fell swoop. Just for good measure on opposite sides of the car too!

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

Ah, but do you now feel better for your confession Len which, as they say, is good for the soul 

Actually Brian it just acts as a reminder that I should have spent time reading the 1100 odd pages of the two Manuals that came with the car.  And not just concentrated on the racy bits.

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

I am doing my best to safeguard my laser cut alloys especially having seen my wife demolish 2 of hers  in one fell swoop. Just for good measure on opposite sides of the car too!

Don’t talk to me about kerbing alloy wheels.

Oh too late…you just did!

I managed to do that to both near side wheels in the first week.  Mind you, the kerbs were hidden in snow.  Our local Chips Away guy did a splendid repair job on the rims but it was obviously going to prove expensive if I made a habit of it.

So I invested in a set of Alloygators and now any scuff is just a reminder of how much I’ve just saved.  So if you were wondering what might make a suitable wifely present…. 🙂

• Haha 1