Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Hold

peniole

I have brake hold on my current non-Lexus car (Honda). While I like the feature idea it's incomplete, I don't use it and end up using the EPB once a car is behind me. Annoyingly when stopped at a traffic light, Honda brake hold keeps the brake lights on, which when they're LED especially can be annoying to the person behind you. Is it the same on the Lexus system? Or is it smart enough to detect a car behind you and turn off the brake lights? After all it has the sensors to detect a car behind.

In addition to being common courtesy "The Highway Code says that in stationary queues of traffic, you should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take your foot off the foot brake to deactivate the brake lights and minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again."

I don't know of any car/system that turns off the brake lights and whilst I agree with what the Highway Code says (as a matter of courtesy), it only says should and not must.

I've been driving for over 40 years and can honestly say that I've never been dazzled by brake lights when in a queue or stood at traffic lights, not even the modern LED ones.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I don't know of any car/system that turns off the brake lights and whilst I agree with what the Highway Code says (as a matter of courtesy), it only says should and not must.

I've been driving for over 40 years and can honestly say that I've never been dazzled by brake lights when in a queue or stood at traffic lights, not even the modern LED ones.

Me neither to be honest, when behind any vehicle 99% of them  have the brake lights on, and have it has never bothered me in the slightest.

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

Ditto..   It's never been an issue for me either

15 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Ditto..   It's never been an issue for me either

Peter do you prefer the Mercedes hold system or the Lexus one, I ask as I was at first sceptical about the Lexus one, being used to the one on my Mercedes, but after having driven my father’s Lexus a few times, I appreciate the Lexus one more, as once you switch it on, you don’t have to press the brake pedal for it to function.

Lexus 

In my RC the function is more of a 'hill start assist' than a true brake hold. It's not switchable and operates automatically the car detects it's on a slope. Come to a stop and release the brake pedal and the car will not roll back. On the flat the car will tend to creep forward. So not the same as the MB system.

On my CLS55 the brake hold never worked and despite many attempts to figure out why no one could get it functioning!

• Like 1

On my RX it works well, it engages after keeping brake pedal for 2 seconds at car stopped, and disengages just pressing right pedal to start moving, but I do not use it all the times, just when I have to keep car stopped much time, for stop and go situations I prefer keeping brakes by myself, just because I like the eCVT system that strart moving smoothly car just leaving brakes without "jumps".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2021 at 9:16 PM, NemesisUK said:

In my RC the function is more of a 'hill start assist' than a true brake hold. It's not switchable and operates automatically the car detects it's on a slope. Come to a stop and release the brake pedal and the car will not roll back. On the flat the car will tend to creep forward. So not the same as the MB system.

On my CLS55 the brake hold never worked and despite many attempts to figure out why no one could get it functioning!

I preferred the brake hold on my SL500. One stationary on the flat, you had to jab at the pedal, then the car would hold until you touched the accelerator. Once I figured out how it worked (and that the car had it!) I thought it was great! 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 9:16 PM, NemesisUK said:

In my RC the function is more of a 'hill start assist' than a true brake hold.

That is exactly what it is in the IS/RC. They don't have the brake hold feature.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links