Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How long should the exhaust manifold last ?

My 400h SE 2007 has only done 64500 miles, but Lexus Edgware have told me the manifolds need replacing and the oxygen sensor. The cost is £2500, which I can't afford. Help please

11 hours ago, JRSM said:

My 400h SE 2007 has only done 64500 miles, but Lexus Edgware have told me the manifolds need replacing and the oxygen sensor. The cost is £2500, which I can't afford. Help please

I have never had to replace an exhaust manifold on any car I have ever owned, that includes some quite old ones when younger, had to replace an oxygen sensor once on a Suzuki GV1600.

Do they say it is cracked?

Have a look around for a place near to you that makes custom exhausts rather than the dealer, let them have a look at it and they can maybe fix it or make you one cheaper.

• Thanks 1

I`ve never had to replace one either. The Merc is 18 years old and 247,000 miles with original manifold!

I`d smell a rat, so seek a second opinion and please do let us know how you get on.

Keith (above) has given some good advice.

Thank you so much for your advice. According to Lexus, they found catalyst threshold performance faults p0420. The car would need both exhaust cat/manifolds replaced then faults cleared (may require oxygen sensors if seized. Quote £2518. Does this sound right? Cheers,James

22 minutes ago, JRSM said:

Thank you so much for your advice. According to Lexus, they found catalyst threshold performance faults p0420. The car would need both exhaust cat/manifolds replaced then faults cleared (may require oxygen sensors if seized. Quote £2518. Does this sound right? Cheers,James

My personal experience of Jemca (owners) is that they are revenue chasers and I advise you strongly to look elsewhere James.

Search google for reviews and ignore the supposedly good ones.

See if these help James.

MORE LEXUS INDIE RECOMMEND.docx

• Like 1

I've never had to replace a manifold in more than 40 years driving either.

Of course, manifolds do crack sometimes, but I think you've got to be extremely unlucky for it to happen.

• Like 2

Any manifold goes on forever unless it develops crack and it leaks. Exhaust manifolds are made from cast iron or an alloy and there are many epoxy fillers that can seal them to perfection and exceed the heat rating of the manifold should they develop a crack.

If an oxygen sensor has seized on an exhaust manifold, a little persuasion by heating can release it. Make sure you heat the sensor and not the manifold.

There are special wrench sockets to release the oxygen sensors.

Chris.

• Like 1

On the RX400h the exhaust manifolds and cats are one unit hence the price of £1150.00 and £875.00 for each one.

What has the car actually gone in for ? Do you have the Engine Management Light on indicating this fault ? 

If you have had no previous emission problems at MOT time or exhaust blowing I would be looking for a second opinion.

3DFB6B17-BA81-49A4-BDEB-A3A62690EF2C.png

FDD75C1B-6D8F-4146-8F81-31B95CEC664A.png

• Like 2

Sounds like they could well be replacing a great many things as that's what the guide book says. As suggested take it to a reputable exhaust fabricator type place. I used Tony Banks in Leeds so likely not practical for you London way but i'm sure there will be plenty around you.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 10:14 PM, JRSM said:

I've taken my Rx400h to Edgeware road twice because nearby dealership in Twickenham did not have availability. 

Both times Edgeware guys would fine lots of things to fix, especially once I had the lexus extended warranty. Spent £3k+ there and I don't trust them.