Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What brand of tyres do you use?

TKhan430

Hey everyone, 

Hope your all keeping well.

Over the years from my limited experience with tyres I've found that Bridgestone with A rating for wet grip have been the best all round tyres.

Their sidewalls are strong and they last a long time. 

I like Continental but found the sidewalls aren't as strong.

On last car had Pirelli Scorpion winter tyres (they came with the car so don't know what they're like when brand new).

I always go for the tyres with A wet grip rating.

How about you lot what tyres do you like?

I think brakes and tyres is where you want to spend money! lol   

• Like 1

On my 1996 Volvo 940 always go for Michelin energy savers. Fitted to previous 1989 Volvo 240 too. Never had any issues or punctures in 15 years. Well wearing and last me years, as Volvo only does 5k a year, plus use winter tyres.

Toyota Auris, replaced the 6 year old Conti 6's with Goodyear efficient grip performance 2. Quieter then conti 6, less roar on most tarmac. Hope they don't crack in tread like a set of older efficient grip that came on my Lexus IS220D.  Replaced once worn with AVON 7V7's in 205/55/R16. £55 each fitted.  Shame as scrapped car 2 months after! Avon were Ok, but got a bit tail happy/ VSC kicked in when did a right and left at a double roundabout in damp conditions. Around 700 miles old when scrapped car.

Winter tyres on Volvo only. Goodyear Ultragrip 9's. Simply brilliant. Had them 4 years. Loads of tread left and brilliant in the snow. With Michelin summer tyres and being auto, the slightest incline and going nowhere. Winter tyres changed that. Must remove them and refit summer set.

James👍

• Thanks 2

Thanks James, 

Wow you have volvo 240 and 740 love those old school bricks proper volvo those! 

I had mitchelin cross climate few years back on the prius the sidewalls were really weak had to replace them under 20k!

The worst tyres I've ever had were Avon zz3. Had a issue twice with them. Once in my mrk2 mr2 and a blowout on my e34 5 series bmw. 

After that's would never touch Avon ever again! 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have been using Continental for more than 30 years. Good tyres.

Our CT came with Pirelli P7 and they are not bad, but when replacement needed will look for something more quiet in order to enjoy the silence of the car. Do not know if Michelin or something else is best but am open to learning from you who have had a lot of different tyres on your cars.

Size: 251/45-17

• Like 1

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 2 are the best tyres I've ever had.

Quiet, superb in all weathers, really makes the car feel very sure-footed.

• Like 2

Switched to Avon Tyres a few weeks ago on my NX - they have an ‘A’ rating for wet grip and are very impressive. They weren’t the most expensive but are also supremely quiet. 

Winter rubber are Bridgestone Blizzak which have also been very good for two seasons and have plenty of tread left. Previously I’ve had great experience with Falken tyres too, but they are a) now quite expensive and b) unavailable in the exact size I need.

Poor experience previously with both Michelin and Vredestein, so avoid both brands now.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 3:33 PM, Las Palmas said:

Have been using Continental for more than 30 years. Good tyres.

Our CT came with Pirelli P7 and they are not bad, but when replacement needed will look for something more quiet in order to enjoy the silence of the car. Do not know if Michelin or something else is best but am open to learning from you who have had a lot of different tyres on your cars.

Size: 251/45-17

Sorry not 251 wide.

215/45-17

Not all tyres are available in this size. Where we live only summer tyres are needed.

I somehow think that the brand tyre is sometimes specifically better with a defined car .....  not just the tyre name itself

I know that the Pirellis on my Honda Legend were very very expensive at the time, durable, sure footed and I think original OEM on my car .....  the Falken replacements have been so so much quieter and more comfy a ride ............  and considerably less expensive than replacement Pirellis

On my Ls400 I have used Falkens for many many years ...  and Maxxis ......  but the Falkens much better a ride methinks ...... OEM in the day were Dunlop tyres 225/60/16 designed specifically by Dunlop ( with Lexus/Toyota ) for the Ls400 too 

BUT more modern day ( and expensive ) tyres abound that users " swear by " too

It's not just price, nor brand but what a user actually finds better in his specific car and driving mode ........  but of course by the time you've shelled out lots of ££££ for tyres it's really too late to change your mind for the next, say 20 / 30k miles 

This is a good and useful thread :wink3:

Malc

• Like 2

Usually only go for Goodyear or Michelin. Never had any issues. 

The RX has Bridgestones on but the size is very awkward so dont really have any choice but theyve been perfectly fine to be honest although they wear out quick. My RX is on 38k miles. Ive already changed the front tyres twice and the rears are due out soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

After numerous recommendations on here I went for Michelin Cross Climates. Await to see how long they last.

+1

Ditto

I have always put Windforce on my Prius recommended by the garage I use to go for tyres and they usually last between 45-52.000 km. I have been advised positively about the Maxxis Victra Sport 5 and I have read good reviews for the Nexen Nfera SU4. I will consider these last 2 brands if I need to change the tyres for a future GS450H.  

40 minutes ago, serbarry said:

I have always put Windforce on my Prius recommended by the garage I use to go for tyres and they usually last between 45-52.000 km. I have been advised positively about the Maxxis Victra Sport 5 and I have read good reviews for the Nexen Nfera SU4. I will consider these last 2 brands if I need to change the tyres for a future GS450H.  

Just fitted Maxiis All Season to the Merc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Slightly off topic, but my Sister needed new tyres last week - she’s fitted the same Avons to her CR-V as I have on my NX - and she used Asda Tyres as they were the cheapest.

The service was fantastic, simple to order online and to book fitting locally in a timed 60 minute slot. It was impressive service - who knew that Asda now sold tyres?!

She did look at Costco, but they didn’t have the correct size and weren’t exactly helpful! So she went elsewhere, and is glad she did. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My preference for my own cars are:

1. Goodyear Eagle F1
  2. Uniroyal Rainsport
  3. Vredestein Ultrac

For my partner's car I usually go for something all season, or winter tyre:

• Vredestein Wintrac/Snowtrac
  • Continental AllSeason
  • Michelin CrossClimate

For my bicycle I prefer to use Vittoria tyres.

The ADAC (German AA) has some very good and thorough testing that they publish every year. Though in German, obviously. The results can be found in English too: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/adac-summer-tyre-test

• Like 1