Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

I've got a CT200H, 2011, 83k miles, extended warranty ends this month. 

I'm going for Lexus hybrid check so I can get the 1 Yr warranty on it, £59. 

Lexus full service includes this, £495. 

LEXUS specialist, North London, JEM cheaper even if I got lexus hybrid check separately. 

Anyone know any more Lexus specialists I could possible get quotes for by any chance? About 1 hour away from Luton. 

Would really appreciate it. 

 🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth considering that with the new Relax, Lexus now offer full manufacture Extended car warranty for FREE! if the car is serviced by them. Worth considering when doing a price comparison.

Also signing up for a service plan freezes the price for the next 3 services and can be payed monthly. My next 3 services 2 Major and 1 minor are fixed at £1150 regardless of any price increases to 2024. Add the Full free car warranty and hybrid Battery check and it's not a bad deal.

Oops! Sorry just realised yours now falls out of the 10yr warranty criteria 😥

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your last sentence Norman. The new Deal is much worse than the Extended Warranty which is now discontinued to new buyers.

The small print is key.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PCM said:

Japex - Kings Langley

Thanks, I will get a quote from them! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pastorecould you please let us know what quotes are you getting? This could be really useful as a point of reference for all of us.

I also wonder how much lexus specialists charge and if it warranty (of both car and batteries) still gets extended. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, diabolik said:

@Pastorecould you please let us know what quotes are you getting? This could be really useful as a point of reference for all of us.

I also wonder how much lexus specialists charge and if it warranty (of both car and batteries) still gets extended. 

No problem, 

LEXUS = £495 

JEM, North London = £235

Japex, Kings Langley = emailed, waiting for reply. Will update... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`m looking forward to your decision and your feedback Nadeem.

Good luck.

Thanks, think I'm gonna go for Lexus, £495. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I`m looking forward to your decision and your feedback Nadeem.

Good luck.

John, prehaps im getting cynical in my old age but after watching some videos online, some of which are hidden cameras of servicing at dealers, these videos prove that some of them are upselling and doing jobs that dont even need to be done even. So if in theory anyone could be doing this then I am now thinking then the cheapest option is the way to go and just buy the hybrid health check from them for £59. 🧐

Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm peed off that the essentials has ended as this is the first year

our cars have qualified for the essentials servicing

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pastore said:

John, prehaps im getting cynical in my old age but after watching some videos online, some of which are hidden cameras of servicing at dealers, these videos prove that some of them are upselling and doing jobs that dont even need to be done even. So if in theory anyone could be doing this then I am now thinking then the cheapest option is the way to go and just buy the hybrid health check from them for £59. 🧐

Nadeem, I think that you are right to be cynical. Advancing years with less income and greater experience induces cynicism.

Our friend Herbie, who is well respected by all, has for years argued that the only thing different about Lexus is it Hybrid Drive. And so he has his Lexus serviced annually by his local and trusted garage. Worked well for him for years. Problems with Hybrid Batteries on cars that have been respected by their owners are few and far between. We have a member--Richard of Hybrid Battery Solutions based around Northampton is on hand to offer advice and repair or replace a Hybrid Battery at a reasonably economic cost.

The new Lexus Relax system is useful for years 4-10 of new cars and up to 100,000 miles. In return for an annual service at Lexus prices including a Hybrid Battery check one can receive a free warranty for 12 months and (I think) 10,000 miles. The cost of the service can be budgeted for if you buy a Service Plan and this will avoid the high costs associated with the big services of 60,000 and 100,000 miles. The costs have thus far been interest free. The big unknown going forward is how is the new Relax Warranty going to be interpreted by Lexus? The small print in the new deal refers to cover against manufacturing defects. I think that manufacturing must relate to the part that has failed rather than the original build of the vehicle. And if a suspension damper fails after 60,000 miles, how will this be interpreted-by reference to design life or wear and tear or some other criteria?

I think the options going forward are;

(a) Keep any Extended Warranty until it expires or,

(b) Move to the Relax Warranty, take out a Service Plan and monitor the way the Warranty is applied. This will ensure that the Hybrid Battery Warranty is maintained free of charge for 12 years after expiry of the original manufacturers warranty, or

(c) Move to having your Lexus maintained by a trusted Independent Mechanic, who will have a lower hourly rate, but who cannot service the Hybrid Battery. This will have to be serviced by Lexus or perhaps by Richard of Hybrid Battery Solutions or not serviced at all.

I`m fortunate in that my current Lexus Extended Warranty runs until September 2023, so I don`t have any big decisions to make. If I was forced to choose (b) or (c) I would in the short term choose (b).

One pays one`s money and makes one`s choice Nadeem.

I am not in any way connected to Hybrid Battery Solutions and have never met nor spoken to Richard. There other members who have however used his services.

I hope this helps you Nadeem.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Nadeem, I think that you are right to be cynical. Advancing years with less income and greater experience induces cynicism.

Our friend Herbie, who is well respected by all, has for years argued that the only thing different about Lexus is it Hybrid Drive. And so he has his Lexus serviced annually by his local and trusted garage. Worked well for him for years. Problems with Hybrid Batteries on cars that have been respected by their owners are few and far between. We have a member--Richard of Hybrid Battery Solutions based around Northampton is on hand to offer advice and repair or replace a Hybrid Battery at a reasonably economic cost.

The new Lexus Relax system is useful for years 4-10 of new cars and up to 100,000 miles. In return for an annual service at Lexus prices including a Hybrid Battery check one can receive a free warranty for 12 months and (I think) 10,000 miles. The cost of the service can be budgeted for if you buy a Service Plan and this will avoid the high costs associated with the big services of 60,000 and 100,000 miles. The costs have thus far been interest free. The big unknown going forward is how is the new Relax Warranty going to be interpreted by Lexus? The small print in the new deal refers to cover against manufacturing defects. I think that manufacturing must relate to the part that has failed rather than the original build of the vehicle. And if a suspension damper fails after 60,000 miles, how will this be interpreted-by reference to design life or wear and tear or some other criteria?

I think the options going forward are;

(a) Keep any Extended Warranty until it expires or,

(b) Move to the Relax Warranty, take out a Service Plan and monitor the way the Warranty is applied. This will ensure that the Hybrid Battery Warranty is maintained free of charge for 12 years after expiry of the original manufacturers warranty, or

(c) Move to having your Lexus maintained by a trusted Independent Mechanic, who will have a lower hourly rate, but who cannot service the Hybrid Battery. This will have to be serviced by Lexus or perhaps by Richard of Hybrid Battery Solutions or not serviced at all.

I`m fortunate in that my current Lexus Extended Warranty runs until September 2023, so I don`t have any big decisions to make. If I was forced to choose (b) or (c) I would in the short term choose (b).

One pays one`s money and makes one`s choice Nadeem.

I am not in any way connected to Hybrid Battery Solutions and have never met nor spoken to Richard. There other members who have however used his services.

I hope this helps you Nadeem.

I can't get the Lexus relax because my car is 2011 and classed as over 10 years old. 

So option C is best I think. Getting it done cheaper and just get lexus to do a hybrid health check just to get the year cover. 

Also I noticed a difference when calling Lexus, they seem to be told to mention certain things to customers and bombard you with lots of information like some sales people would do, it seems like they put their staff under pressure to mention these things when we the customers just want to know the answers to the questions we have on our minds. They even gave me the wrong price for the service and it was not until I asked about their service plan where they told me the made a mistake and they thought my car was 8 years old. I asked if I they did any discounts for NHS staff and they didn't know. 

So my decision has been made, thanks for your help. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems wrong that cars of that age have to pay the same price for servicing as new ones. Scrapping the Essential Care service is going to lose alot of custom. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

Seems wrong that cars of that age have to pay the same price for servicing as new ones. Scrapping the Essential Care service is going to lose alot of custom. 

Is that because you’re relating the cost of servicing as a proportion of the diminishing value of the car?

Doesn’t the cost in terms of parts and labour remain much the same if the basic mechanical components remain much the same?  In fact I can envisage situations in which the older car requires additional time - and even parts - to complete a comparable service.

In my experience I expect to spend more maintaining an older vehicle than a newer one over the same period of time.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LenT said:

Is that because you’re relating the cost of servicing as a proportion of the diminishing value of the car?

Doesn’t the cost in terms of parts and labour remain much the same if the basic mechanical components remain much the same?  In fact I can envisage situations in which the older car requires additional time - and even parts - to complete a comparable service.

In my experience I expect to spend more maintaining an older vehicle than a newer one over the same period of time.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Well presented argument Len. Owning an older car is one of choice, usually driven by financial constraints. I doubt many owners would turn down a swap of their vehicle for a new one, unless it's maybe a series 1 jaguar e-type. So in essence you can't afford a brand new one. That being the case by what logic should a second-hand car be afforded the same privileges as a new one? I see this as yet another example of the current vogue for "fairness & equality" whatever that may mean! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MadJam250 said:

Seems wrong that cars of that age have to pay the same price for servicing as new ones. Scrapping the Essential Care service is going to lose alot of custom. 

should the same be said when you need new tyres on your car

so the older car should have a lower price for a premium tyre

over a new car that has an unrepairable tyre ???

if this applies then all replacment car parts should be priced

on a pro rata basis to age of vehicle

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

I doubt many owners would turn down a swap of their vehicle for a new one,

if you spoke to many Ls400 owners on here you might get a different perspective on this !

unless of course they made a brand new Ls400 with all the longevity qualities of their existing car :wink3:

Malc

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Malc said:

if you spoke to many Ls400 owners on here you might get a different perspective on this !

unless of course they made a brand new Ls400 with all the longevity qualities of their existing car :wink3:

Malc

Exactly my point Malc vis-a-vis the Jaguar, a new build E type Eagle replica - ish is around 500k 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pastore said:

I can't get the Lexus relax because my car is 2011 and classed as over 10 years old. 

So option C is best I think. Getting it done cheaper and just get lexus to do a hybrid health check just to get the year cover. 

Also I noticed a difference when calling Lexus, they seem to be told to mention certain things to customers and bombard you with lots of information like some sales people would do, it seems like they put their staff under pressure to mention these things when we the customers just want to know the answers to the questions we have on our minds. They even gave me the wrong price for the service and it was not until I asked about their service plan where they told me the made a mistake and they thought my car was 8 years old. I asked if I they did any discounts for NHS staff and they didn't know. 

So my decision has been made, thanks for your help. 

It depends when in 2011 your car was registered.I managed to get my in just in time for the original extended warranty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LenT said:

Is that because you’re relating the cost of servicing as a proportion of the diminishing value of the car?

Doesn’t the cost in terms of parts and labour remain much the same if the basic mechanical components remain much the same?  In fact I can envisage situations in which the older car requires additional time - and even parts - to complete a comparable service.

In my experience I expect to spend more maintaining an older vehicle than a newer one over the same period of time.

Or am I missing something obvious?

It's simply pricing many customers out of the market. The Essentials Care system worked so well. At the end of the day, the CT is a Prius. Why does Toyota charge at least £100 less to service a Prius against a CT? Crazy 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MadJam250 said:

It's simply pricing many customers out of the market. The Essentials Care system worked so well. At the end of the day, the CT is a Prius. Why does Toyota charge at least £100 less to service a Prius against a CT? Crazy 🙄

Ask Toyota to service your CT and Lexus to do the Annual HB check ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Ask Toyota to service your CT and Lexus to do the Annual HB check ?

If it's a Toyota dealer that also has a Lexus franchise then they normally won't do it. Even if they don't I believe their Techstream license won't make Lexus vehicles available and they also risk upsetting Toyota GB which could ultimately lead to a loss of franchise.

 

Lexus charge more than Toyota because it's a higher luxury brand, the vehicle is more expensive and a belief that the owners have more disposable income. Plus the cost of running the dealership is more (building interiors, loan vehicles etc.).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership