Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone,

I've just purchased an LS430 to replace my GS300. So far I’m really pleased with it but I’ve noticed that the NAV doesn’t switch on (you press the button and it’s just a blank screen). Other parts of the display work. The radio is also not working (could be completely unrelated but thought I should mention in case regards )

Checking in the driver footwell (RHD) I noticed that the fuse was missing. I replaced with a 7.5 amp fuse which blew immediately. So I’ve got two questions:

1. Are there any common faults that could chase this?

2. Is there any value in getting the nav working anyway? A quick search revealed some 2017/18 DVDs on eBa, are these the latest and greatest version?

Thanks in advance for your help. I’ve had a search of the forum but can’t see an answer for this.

J

I take it this is a purchase from a private seller, James, and not from a dealer.  So it was ‘bought as seen’ ?

Fuse 1 (TEL) feeds the “Stereo Component Tuner” so you either have a fault on the supply wiring to this resulting in the fuse blowing or the tuner itself.

You could unplug the tuner unit, replace the fuse again and then see if the fuse continues to blow.

56E75E90-2354-4E22-8820-47EFA669CBC0.jpeg

10 hours ago, harrylime said:

If the satnav on the LS430 is as out of date as the satnav on the LS400 I wouldn't bother (I'm assuming update CDs are not available)

Sadly, James, I’m inclined to agree with Hugh.  Without the recourse of reverting to a Dealer, the cost and effort of repairing and updating this system - if even possible - may not be justified by the results.  It does appear that the problem may be more than just a fuse replacement.

Personally I find my Lexus navigation system to be the worst I’ve ever encountered.  I use my Garmin instead - and I get four free updates every year!

The fact that the audio system may also be part of the problem is, to my mind, a more significant fault and a far greater loss.  But I quite understand the argument that if the satnav’s there, it should be working!

At least it’s not badly affecting your enjoyment of the car.

• 1 month later...

Steve2006, thanks very much for the wiring diagram. I unplugged the stereo component tuner but to no avail - as soon as I attempted inserting another 7.5amp fuse it blew immediately.

In your picture it looks like the fuse you’ve circled is 5amp? The one I’m having the issue with is the 7.5 amp fuse marked TEL. Is it the same one?

I took a punt in case it was an issue with the nav system itself and have today attempted replacing with another second hand unit. Sadly it has not resolved the issue. NAV and the radio still don’t work and the fuse still blows immediately.

I’ve check the wiring at the back of the nav unit whilst the NAV unit was out. I was curious about the brown wire which start of with about one inch of insulation but the the wire is bare and enters a grey wrap with the other wires. The Grey wrap appears to have some a silver foil conductive lining. There is also a strange black looking wire which at first glance seemed to be empty wire insulation but on closer inspection is a rubber type material. So my question here is whether this all looks normal ie should the wire that start of brown from the connector be exposed, what is tue purpose of the black rubber looking wire and is the foil type material doing anything important?

I’m assuming there is a short somewhere and so the bare wire has caught my attention as a possible culprit. 

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links