Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Noise coming from my SC430 steering column

Alan E

Hi Guys. I am hoping I can sort this problem myself. Recently when the steering wheel retracts or moves forward after putting the key in or out of ignition. I am getting a squeaking sound When it moves in or out. Like it needs lubricating?

If I put a downward or upward force on the steering wheel it as it moving the noise stops and stays that way for rest of the day but it does return. Has anyone had the same issue in the past and how was it sorted please. Many Thanks Guys

46 minutes ago, Alan E said:

Hi Guys. I am hoping I can sort this problem myself. Recently when the steering wheel retracts or moves forward after putting the key in or out of ignition. I am getting a squeaking sound When it moves in or out. Like it needs lubricating?

If I put a downward or upward force on the steering wheel it as it moving the noise stops and stays that way for rest of the day but it does return. Has anyone had the same issue in the past and how was it sorted please. Many Thanks Guys

It my experience of Lexus steering wheel motors (they have two) the squealing often precedes failure of a motor.  It may be worth spraying some silicone lubricant around the mechanism to see if it helps but I would expect a motor is telling you its had enough.  I've always been convinced that the motors fail mostly because it's convenient to grab the steering wheel getting out of the car, and because it moves fairly slowly a lot of pressure is put on the motors.

Spot on Phil, once again Lexus go OTT on a synchronous motor when a straight 12 Volts DC and a gear cog would have sufficed....must admit though they are super quiet in operation.

Worse thing to do is put any extra pressure on the motors during the movement of the steering wheel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

It my experience of Lexus steering wheel motors (they have two) the squealing often precedes failure of a motor.  It may be worth spraying some silicone lubricant around the mechanism to see if it helps but I would expect a motor is telling you its had enough.  I've always been convinced that the motors fail mostly because it's convenient to grab the steering wheel getting out of the car, and because it moves fairly slowly a lot of pressure is put on the motors.