Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Protective Film or Heat Distorted Badge?

Noticed this through my rear windscreen, the Mark Levinson badge is either distorting in the heat or somebody forgot to take the protective film off at assembly.

I can reach it when kneeling on the rear seats but only just able to get a finger between it and the glass, unable to tell if it should peel it off or not...

Any suggestions? The car will go into the dealership end of month for it's service but not sure if I want some tech poking about possibly marking up the panel and/or badge.

PXL_20210608_181107383.jpg

Looks like unremoved protective film starting to wrinkle from heat.  Maybe you could try reaching and lifting it with the point of a long bamboo skewer.  Any remaining fragments or residue could be removed by swabbing with cotton wool moistened with acetone affixed to the same skewer.

• Like 1

I've been trying but just can't get the angle right to get under the little edge that's showing.

I have some needle nosed tweezers but again there's so little room above the badge my fat fingers can't grip and manipulate the tweezers to get an edge. 

2 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I've been trying but just can't get the angle right to get under the little edge that's showing.

I have some needle nosed tweezers but again there's so little room above the badge my fat fingers can't grip and manipulate the tweezers to get an edge. 

When we had Bob a Job week a little Cub would have sorted that for you Peter😊

8 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I've been trying but just can't get the angle right … 

This is the sort of minor but fiddly job that would drive me crazy, the line between perseverance and obsession being a thin one.  I would probably  give it a rest for a day or so before returning to the attack with a fresh mind.  Maybe you could trim the points of one or more of the aforementioned bamboo skewers or other similar non-scratching implements (e.g. plastic crocheting hook) into suitably angled shapes.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Could you wangle a length of masking take over it, and then pull that?

Imagine if that pulled off the top half of the sticker and left white residue 😰

I don't think its covering film - I think the sticker has just shrunk due to heat

14 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Noticed this through my rear windscreen, the Mark Levinson badge is either distorting in the heat or somebody forgot to take the protective film off at assembly.

It is 100% protective film... it being your car from new I guess you would be the one who forgotten to remove it 😄 

I would not expect dealership to remove protective films as this is sort of thing they would leave to the owner to experience "unboxing of the new car". 

Mine had ML and had exactly same film - bought with it, sold with it. The good thing, you could only see that fill when opening the boot and now you find out why it is not removed - because it is **** to get to!

• Like 1

It’s unremoved protective film as mentioned by others…..

get a big hammer and smash glass then access to it is made wayyyyyyy easier and will easily peel off

taaaaa daaaaa job sorted 😉

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

… I suppose they might have called Frank Borman ?

Who, I guess, would then immediately have got the Vehicle Maintenance team fired for leaving factory film on a bit of equipment.  

2 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Who, I guess, would then immediately have got the Vehicle Maintenance team fired for leaving factory film on a bit of equipment.  

Frank commanded Apollo 8 and Jim Lovell was one of the crew.

Off topic, so I must be quiet Renato !🤞

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of those protective stickers on my 2013 GS4 ML sub that I bought a week today it was off the first day as not a fan of them, didn't leave any residue.