Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS300 duff catalytic converter replacement

DURGAR

I have a GS300 on 2003 plate. 81000 from new. In the process of removing the Bank2/2 sensor the rusted end of the converter was damaged beyond repair. Cost of replacing the converter + the sensor Inc. Labour and VAT - £1350. I now face scrapping the car! Has anyone advice on whether I can fit any of the many cheap converters and sensors advertised on eBay to reduce costs. I have tried fitting non-genuine Lexus sensors and encountered major problems resetting the fault warning lights eventually having to resort to fitting the Lexus suplied sensors. Am I likely to encounter the same problem if I use a non-genuine catalytic converter? 

Hi James and welcome to the LOC.

Take a look at the link below, although the top selection says up to 2001 it is the same part for yours, stainless steel and 2 year warranty.

https://www.cats2u.co.uk/3298-30

For the O2 sensor I would go OEM, link below but check carefully from counterfeit eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LAMBDA-OXYGEN-SENSOR-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-LEXUS-GS-300-430-1997-2011-/402595221395?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMIs6Kaor-M8QIV9QUGAB0Wew5fEAQYBSABEgIUcvD_BwE

A few gaskets in addition plus a couple of hours labour should halve your costs.

Thanks Steve2006. My garage won't fit any parts not supplied by Lexus so I am  stuck! I will however look at the link you have kindly provided and forward it to the garage in the hope that I can reduce costs should I experience any more problems with the exhaust system. Stay well and thanks again. Durgar