Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Hi

I have some cracks forming on the rubber coupling that connects the propshaft to the differential on my 2009 ISF, Lexus are saying I need to replace the propshaft!!! Any ideas where I could get a coupling from? Thanks in advance. Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 4969_LXS said:

Looks like we can use Supra one's if we can still get them.

The Supra ones are also used on the Lexus SC430 5-speed (and GS430/LS430), which was sold until 2005 so hopefully the parts are still available. 

On the 6-speed SC430 they switched to the same situation as the IS-F, only supplied fitted to the whole prop. Not sure why they did this, maybe they balance the entire prop with the couplings attached.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ColinBarber From reading on the American forums, the couplings are bonded on the propshaft. However a few owners stateside say they do come off with no bonding visible, at least to them. 

With the part being used that widely, I reckon they are still manufactured. I'm guessing with some confidence that it was probably used on the GSF and RCF as well. Stands a chance they use the same coupling on the LC500 V8's. It's cheaper to use existing products that work, than develop and use new.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4969_LXS said:

With the part being used that widely, I reckon they are still manufactured. I'm guessing with some confidence that it was probably used on the GSF and RCF as well. Stands a chance they use the same coupling on the LC500 V8's. It's cheaper to use existing products that work, than develop and use new.

Yes, it certainly looks the same as the one used on the GS F and RC F. The problem is that the part isn't available on its own - there is no part code.

Link to post
Share on other sites

37511-30020

Thats the part number for the Mk4 Supra coupling. I know some of the specialists have stated theres no bonding, its just bolted as you'd expect.

Some of them have also stated that they've had cracks showing for 50k+ miles and they get no worse, not even when supercharged, i assume there are steel wires or such actually providing the strength internally and everything is coated in rubber, which obviously degrades to some degree over time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 2:14 PM, 4969_LXS said:

Hi Tim,

Have a read of this thread on the American forum.

The propshaft rubbers are also known as guibos

Looks like we can use Supra one's if we can still get them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/842004-guibo-flex-coupling-replace-rubber-coupling-or-whole-ds.html

 

 

 

 

Great thanks, I have the genuine part delivered for £156, hopefully my garage can sort it! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2021 at 9:54 AM, scott-o said:

37511-30020

Thats the part number for the Mk4 Supra coupling. I know some of the specialists have stated theres no bonding, its just bolted as you'd expect.

Some of them have also stated that they've had cracks showing for 50k+ miles and they get no worse, not even when supercharged, i assume there are steel wires or such actually providing the strength internally and everything is coated in rubber, which obviously degrades to some degree over time. 

That's great thanks, I did wonder if there would be more integral strength but not worth the risk! I have the part required delivered for £156. Just hope my garage can sort it! I will post an update in case anyone else has the same issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 2:14 PM, 4969_LXS said:

Hi Tim,

Have a read of this thread on the American forum.

The propshaft rubbers are also known as guibos

Looks like we can use Supra one's if we can still get them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/842004-guibo-flex-coupling-replace-rubber-coupling-or-whole-ds.html

 

 

 

 

Brilliant thanks, this has been confirmed by several sources, I have a genuine part delivered for £156, just hope my garage can fit it ok! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership