Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm after a new/remanufactured alternator and a seal kit for my power steering pump. i have got prices from the main dealer, who also gave me the part number. However, when I input these on Rockauto website I get no results, although I get results when I enter my model and year (99 LS400). Can anyone explain this please? Also, if anyone has ordered form Rockauto how long did the parts take to arrive and how much is added through VAT and duty etc. Is it worth doing? 

Rock Auto is popular on here. I know members have used them with no complaints. In fact I was only chatting to @steve2006 about them the other day.

Regarding your parts, I'm not sure the RA alternators and PAS kits are genuine which may explain your problem with the part numbers. Personally I'd be wary of buying remanufactured from the US and when I needed an alternator and PAS pump for my '97 I sourced them from Euro Car Parts and eBay respectively.

Give me shout if you need more details.

• Like 1

Why go all the way to the US when you could just have your own alternator remanufactured here? This company are local to me but I'm sure there'll be someone closer to you although if not, I do know that you can send/they will pick up https://www.ribblesdale.co.uk/

EDIT: - they have a delivery van that goes into deepest, darkest Yorkshire twice a week.

EDIT 2 - I don't know if this place will only deal with the full power steering pump or if they will sell you a seal kit but it's got to be worth a phone call to find out https://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/power-steering-pumps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, harrylime said:

I'm after a new/remanufactured alternator

it would almost certainly be an exchange unit ......  to send yours back

Malc

• Like 1

On Rock Auto shipping I found the trick was to take the more expensive shipping option (Fed-Ex I think can't remember) as that pre-paid the duty and it arrived so much quicker - 3 to 4 days as opposed to 2 weeks - and cheaper as the post office and her majesty's customs charged me for "handling and clearance" than was more than the cost of the actual items I had bought!  But also don't rule out local suppliers at least contact them and get a price you might be surprised.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses so far. This forum is easily the most helpful ( I use a couple of other forums  for my other cars). The alternator listed on Rockauto are remanufactured Delco and I looked because I understood they have a good reputation. They are available on eBay but who kows what they are like? I seriously considered having mine rebuilt and have contacted a local respected company. They don't have the parts listed but would hope to match them up when they can physically strip it down. That option would be a faff though, having to leave the car with my Indy while the rebuild took place, delivering and collecting it, plus they tell me it may not be saveable. The seal kit is £54 from the main dealer, which seems a lot for a handful of O rings. In terms of the work, I've had a look from the top and bottom and don't fancy doing it myself.

1 hour ago, harrylime said:

Thanks for the responses so far. This forum is easily the most helpful ( I use a couple of other forums  for my other cars). The alternator listed on Rockauto are remanufactured Delco and I looked because I understood they have a good reputation. They are available on Ebay but who kows what they are like? I seriously considered having mine rebuilt and have contacted a local respected company. They don't have the parts listed but would hope to match them up when they can physically strip it down. That option would be a faff though, having to leave the car with my Indy while the rebuild took place, delivering and collecting it, plus they tell me it may not be saveable. The seal kit is £54 from the main dealer, which seems a lot for a handful of O rings. In terms of the work, I've had a look from the top and bottom and don't fancy doing it myself.

All I can say is I've ordered loads of parts from Rockauto and the longest delivery time has been 5 days.  As has been said, choose FedEx economy and Vat will be added and you'll have nothing else to pay.  It's worth bearing in mind that shipping goes by weight, so things like brake discs aren't worth it due to being so heavy.  You can place the order and put your details in to see how much the total is but you don't need to complete the order if the price doesn't work out as an effective option to UK ordering.  As an example, I bought 8 Denso iridium plugs, Denso cabin and air filter, with delivery, less than half UK price.

Similar with me, NGK ignition lead set UK price £130.00 Rockauto £60.00, 2 Bosch Dizzy caps and 2 rotor arms (UK prices around £40.00 and £20.00 each respectively.

Shipping and prepaid VAT as shown, arrived in 2 working days!

Plus don’t forget the free fridge magnet 😀

BE1CF19F-9E94-4623-AEC4-725C32FD7611.png

I can get parts quicker via rockauto than i can a certain parts dealer which is only 100 odd miles away from me….and at a fraction of the price

as a example (this is for a RCF) front brake fitting kit for both sides from lexus parts is  around £180 yep you read right 180 just for fitting kit and took a week to get to me

same parts from rockauto £11.03 plus vat £4.04 and shipping £9.18 =£24.25 

huge saving of £155 and faster delivery

• Like 1

About 2 months ago i did order from Rock auto a aisin timing belt kit include tensioner,a sepertine belt,air filter,cabin filter. And it took about a week to arrive,i got them delivered by FedEx.

About a alternator I did change mine 3 wicks ago,I got one from eBay new include a 12 month warranty i can't remember the company name but it is local to me,but I will check and let you know.

• Like 1

I use Rock Auto and have a beef about their packing. Twice items have arrived in poor shape.

Delco used to be a premium player and I wouldn’t have qualms with them. Also, The US is a good market as the legal stricture around deliverable quality is far tougher than here.

Do check out AUTODOC and Micks Garage as they can be useful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tinonline said:

I use Rock Auto and have a beef about their packing. Twice items have arrived in poor shape.

I received an AC compressor from them last year, the plastic connector bracket on the pump was broken. I fixed it ok and didn’t affect anything but I agree the packaging could have been better but compared to the cost elsewhere I wasn’t too upset. I thought it must be a ‘one off’, maybe not though. Didn’t affect the compressor I bought but other stuff may be worse.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links