Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Currently on the Honest John website (honestjohn.co.uk)

23 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the average 2 year warranty extension was roughly £1,000? For 2 years?

if you own the car for 6 years that is £3,000, that can pay for quite a few repairs if needed, if not needed you have the money for a nice holiday. 😃

A little less than that but yes thats the theory that Ive been using

Ive had an RX300, 3RX450h, 4RX450h, UX300e, IS300e spanning over 15 years now. The only problem I had was the IS300h infotainment dying after Battery change. Repair bill £4k. An email to Lexus UK stating that I have been a long term customer, have a car with full Lexus service history and expect the infotainment to last the lifetime of the car rendered a repair bill of £500 - Bloody bargain! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

I believe they started out with a nice clean easy to understand manual for their first car (Toyota) and then when more features were added they added pages on and instead of explaining in a simple easy to understand language - they added and added - and mentioned the same item so many places in the manual that in the end it ended up with what we have now.

I am pretty sure that many of the functions of your car are mentioned several places in the manual and not in any logical place.

The CT manual is a mess.

Ideally they would have somebody who knows to tell how things function instead of just writing more and more.

Those who know – they do.

Those who do not know – they write manuals.

Having once had what I still fondly think of as ‘a career’ writing stuff, I recognise a great deal of truth in what you say.

It was sometimes my lot to interview scientists / engineers - or turn their technical papers into recognisable English - in order to enable Companies to communicate with their customers.  The problem often was - and probably still is - that the authors omitted the stunningly obvious parts of an explanation; slightly different terms would be used in an organisation for the same parts or processes and, as you imply, no-one had the responsibility internally to organise and edit ruthlessly the accumulation of words.

It constantly surprised me that major international companies needed someone else to do it for them.

On the other hand, it paid for a few good lunches.

38 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the average 2 year warranty extension was roughly £1,000? For 2 years?

if you own the car for 6 years that is £3,000, that can pay for quite a few repairs if needed, if not needed you have the money for a nice holiday. 😃

At £186 per hour labour rate and some very expensive components, it wouldn't pay for as many repairs as you would think 🙂

My latest warranty job would have been close to £5k if I didn't have my current warranty and that is less than 3 years of ownership.  My last IS racked up warranty repairs of more than the car was worth!

Lets not forget also that the 6 years of warranty cover would have included AA breakdown assistance at roughly £750's worth.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

That is a way to look at it. With the quality of the built of the cars most of us would probably save minus quite a lot. Unless of course if the money paid can be spend on needed services.

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

At £186 per hour labour rate and some very expensive components, it wouldn't pay for as many repairs as you would think 🙂

My latest warranty job would have been close to £5k if I didn't have my current warranty and that is less than 3 years of ownership.  My last IS racked up warranty repairs of more than the car was worth!

Lets not forget also that the 6 years of warranty cover would have included AA breakdown assistance at roughly £750's worth.

My god, what on earth did you have done? Would the current warranty not have covered any of the work?

As for the breakdown cover, you can get some very good cover for a lot less than Lexus are saying it’s worth, so I wouldn’t say it’s £750 worth. 

My car needed:

• New TPMS valve for the front passenger tyre for a leak
  • Heating element for the drivers seat
  • New transmission oil pump
  • Rear passenger side shock absorber

It also need new rear discs and pads, but they of course are not warranty items.

My extended warranty did cover everything, and the new Relax warranty would have taken care the seat and oil pump but not the tyre valve or shock absorber.  The problem is that my car won't be eligible for the new warranty as it will cross the 100k mile threshold soon.

As for the breakdown cover, whilst I am sure there are some good ones out there, since this service is provided by the AA, it is easy to make a comparison for cost purposes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

My car needed:

• New TPMS valve for the front passenger tyre for a leak
  • Heating element for the drivers seat
  • New transmission oil pump
  • Rear passenger side shock absorber

It also need new rear discs and pads, but they of course are not warranty items.

My extended warranty did cover everything, and the new Relax warranty would have taken care the seat and oil pump but not the tyre valve or shock absorber.  The problem is that my car won't be eligible for the new warranty as it will cross the 100k mile threshold soon.

As for the breakdown cover, whilst I am sure there are some good ones out there, since this service is provided by the AA, it is easy to make a comparison for cost purposes.

I must say that is a Bummer being close to 100k. 

What would the cost actually be for the TPMS valve & the shock absorber though?

Yeah, especially since I had planned on another 2 years extended warranty when mine ran out in Sept.

The shock would have been £445 and I am not sure on the TPMS valve but between the valve itself and one hours labour to install and program the car I would expect anywhere from £250-300.  Perhaps someone else has had it done and can comment?

I can tell you that the dealer wanted £203.93 to replace the back box heatshield that had fallen off.

18 minutes ago, Malc said:

oh the joy and tiny expense of owning and using very fully an old fashioned astonishingly well-built Ls400 :thumbsup:

it makes me wonder how all this super-doopa new technology translates into insecurity, very limited mileage wear and a lack of confidence in the product by the manufacturer ( Lexus ) itself.............. to give-up on keeping the customer satisfied and content to own, what used to be in olden times, a brilliant marque

It's the times we're in ............ corporate avoidance of responsibility .......  Lexus is probably no different these days to all the other car manufacturers ..... a lack of pride to produce something really really worth having

Malc

I am in the same "boat" as Malc, as I do not have a warranty as I run older cars. There is a heart-in-your-mouth feeling when you read on the forum about what has been done under warranty and the cost!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bounce75 said:

My god, what on earth did you have done? Would the current warranty not have covered any of the work?

As for the breakdown cover, you can get some very good cover for a lot less than Lexus are saying it’s worth, so I wouldn’t say it’s £750 worth. 

Yes. Sounds scaring. I thought Lexus generally were so well made from factory that all little defects would be sorted out while factory warranty was still on them.

But look at the forums. The CT seems mostly to have the problem that the cat is stolen, so for us that does not make me worry.

• Like 1

I never purchased an extended warranty on any of my Lexus vehicles (except for my GS F - due to parts being so expensive for that if something were to fail, and it makes it easier to sell; gives the purchaser some reassurance) so I understand your argument. Some people just like the piece of mind and financial budgeting that the warranty provides.

Your figures are slightly inflated though. Yes if you purchased 3 extended warranties it would have cost £3k over the six years but £175 pa covers breakdown and MOT which you would need to purchase separately so the true saving is around £2k rather than £3k.

£2k should be enough for a lot of repairs, such as an O2 sensor or seized brake calliper, but a misting headlight at £1k or a sat nav screen at £2k makes quick work of those savings. But I guess if you are without warranty then you source a second hand replacement for a fraction of the price and don't use Lexus to carry out the work.

• Like 3

You cannot get AA/RAC comparable cover for the £125 that Lexus charge. If you don't need full European cover with onward travel for two individuals (not the vehicle) you can get it cheaper, but not like for like.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

but a misting headlight at £1k

anyone remember the likely cost of sorting out " misting " headlight coverings these days ?  is it about £60 or so for someone to do it for you maybe m...  an hour's honest simple labour

Malc

52 minutes ago, Malc said:

anyone remember the likely cost of sorting out " misting " headlight coverings these days ?  is it about £60 or so for someone to do it for you maybe m...  an hour's honest simple labour

Malc

A full kit from Halfords. I have bought one for the RX as the lights are starting to mist. I have not used it yet but it includes the sealant to protect it afterwards.

£10!   I have done it before with T-Cut which worked really well. If they are bad you will need to use the wet and dry provided.

Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Wax-51768-Headlight-Brightness/dp/B004XZQF8O/ref=asc_df_B004XZQF8O/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310493449173&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12751847075575265197&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007049&hvtargid=pla-683306416444&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Malc

I mean internal condensation forming/MOT failure/replacement light cluster rather than external hazing of the plastic lens which can be sanded/polished/sealed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

internal condensation forming/MOT failure/

that used to be a freebie in the day ..  simply like when replacing a dead lamp / bulb ........ release the headlamp  " seal " into the engine bay area and the condensation will vanish ..... leave it all slightly ajar for the rest of time or re-do up the " seal " ....  it always used to be as simple as that 

Malc

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Malc said:

it always used to be as simple as that

Sadly no more.

The LED lights are in a sealed unit and you cannot replace an individual LED, which is why the whole unit has to be replaced at the cost of a grand or more!

• Sad 1

Wow what a thread.

There's been quite a bit of banter about the warranty that Lexus give and how it differs from what they gave.

Personally I feel sorry for folk who buy a Lexus out of its warranty period and get a worse warranty for it on purchase. 

Warranties nowadays are not anywhere as good as they use to be.

Do you need a warranty with a car say 5 years old and older? No. 

There are plenty of used spares and 3rd party parts available nowadays that if summat happens to a car then it can be repaired relatively cheaply. 

Blimey there are videos on YouTube showing you how to change/replace parts.

Oh yes there are exceptions of a few models but for the 'normal ' cars like I've stated.

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

but for the 'normal ' cars like I've stated.

isn't a £1000 headlamp replacement more " normal " these days  ?

Horrifying I know BUT .......... thank heavens for some old fashioned technology remaining ....  but in old fashioned cars

Malc

On 6/11/2021 at 2:59 PM, Shahpor said:

£186 per hour labour?? You are joking ..right??

Up here Teesside Lexus is around £80 per hour labour.

I also asked about an update to the Sat Nav after seeing someone on here say they have been told between £200 and £250 and was tole it was £163.

1 minute ago, flookyk said:

I also asked about an update to the Sat Nav after seeing someone on here say they have been told between £200 and £250 and was tole it was £163.

Quite a few things seem more expensive "Down South!"

On 6/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, Malc said:

that used to be a freebie in the day ..  simply like when replacing a dead lamp / bulb ........ release the headlamp  " seal " into the engine bay area and the condensation will vanish ..... leave it all slightly ajar for the rest of time or re-do up the " seal " ....  it always used to be as simple as that 

Malc

This is a common problem with jaguar XK 100's, common fix is to put one of those little silica gel bags in the light, not sure if this is at all practical with lexus models. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, flookyk said:

Seems correct unfortunately, and the problem with the Lexus fixed price servicing is that you pay that amount for your servicing as all dealers, whether based in London, South East or anywhere else, all have to charge the same amount.

Once you get out of the fixed price element, repairs are definitely cheaper at some dealers than others - typically based on their location.

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

Seems correct unfortunately

and amusingly ............. that's probably one of the significant factors in Lexus not being able to afford it's OWN labour charges when fulfilling it's warranty claims :wink3:

They've priced themselves out of their own market 

Malc

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, flookyk said:

This is the labour rate that Lexus Reading charge.  Not sure about others, but I suspect it would be similar for all the Jemca group dealerships.