Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

URGENT: RX400h transaxle leak?

Hello All,

I've got my car booked in for main dealer service this morning, it's an RX400h facelift. 

The other day I've discovered a leak at the bottom of the car - appears to be behind the front wheels. I've checked all of my fluid levels and both pink coolants are on the same level. It isn't brake fluid, so I've narrowed it down to a possible transaxle leak?

Anyone have any insight? I'm just thinking of the costs it may entail or whether this would be some easy seal / plug? Here are the pictures today / video from today.

Would be ideal to know what I'm up against as I don't wish to pay £420 for a full service and then have Lexus quote £1000+ to repair this bit. If it is going to cost me an arm and a leg at Lexus then I'd rather find an indy that can fix this for half the cost and service there too.

20210611_094830.jpg

Anything like this is a worry. I would get the service done at Lexus - get them to diagnose the issue and cost and then consider an independent if it is going to be very expensive. 

I presume you have always had your car serviced by Lexus? 

Just now, Spacewagon52 said:

Anything like this is a worry. I would get the service done at Lexus - get them to diagnose the issue and cost and then consider an independent if it is going to be very expensive. 

I presume you have always had your car serviced by Lexus? 

Yes it has full Lexus history. Campbeltown and everything replaced at Lexus too.

I'm worried but wanted to see if anyone had the same issue and whether it was a simple plug / seal. It looks like a specific hole where such fluid may be drained from.

Searched everywhere on here and this was usually replaced due to warranty - we're talking about posts from 5/7 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Herbie said:

That's not tranny fluid, it's the wrong colour and I'd also say wrong viscocity. Looks like aircon condensate to me.

Very interesting! So any condensation would normally be spit out of this whole? Never heard of this before hence why I'm a bit surprised. 

2 minutes ago, A-Rod said:

Yes it has full Lexus history. Campbeltown and everything replaced at Lexus too.

I'm worried but wanted to see if anyone had the same issue and whether it was a simple plug / seal. It looks like a specific hole where such fluid may be drained from.

Searched everywhere on here and this was usually replaced due to warranty - we're talking about posts from 5/7 years ago.

Don't panic - see what they say. If you have used them for some time they should give you an honest assessment.

5 minutes ago, Herbie said:

That's not tranny fluid, it's the wrong colour and I'd also say wrong viscocity. Looks like aircon condensate to me.

The video kept stopping for me but I hope you are correct Herbie - that would be a good outcome!

Can you "capture" a sample of the fluid? See what it looks like / feels like?

9 minutes ago, A-Rod said:

Very interesting! So any condensation would normally be spit out of this whole? Never heard of this before hence why I'm a bit surprised. 

It could be that hole. I know it comes out somewhere but whether or not it's that specific hole, I don't know. It just looks more like that than tranny fluid.

• Like 1

It looks to be in the area where the condensate pipe exits under the vehicle, I saw a large puddle under mine the other day and though that it was a lot but was just water from the AC.

35550914-C95F-4905-AF7A-E8DA86444DD1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello all, just had the car back and no issue what so ever. As most folks suggested, it was an A/C drain. Nothing picked up during full service / health check so all good.

Damn, this thing scared the life of me this morning! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, A-Rod said:

Hello all, just had the car back and no issue what so ever. As most folks suggested, it was an A/C drain. Nothing picked up during full service / health check so all good.

Damn, this thing scared the life of me this morning! 

You can sleep soundly tonight! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

... I remember seeing my ( non Lexus ) car being serviced. It was on a ramp, hot day, dripping like nobodies business.

But all fine!

• Like 1