Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Signal blockers for "smart" keys.

Brian R

Just bought two Faraday pouches by Defender and very happy to report they work! Additionally, I also use the hold lock, press unlock twice in built facility to switch off the key broadcast. Perhaps a belt and braces approach and over the top but the crims always seem to be one step ahead of the game.

I also tried the biscuit tin method, and it would appear providing the key is not in direct contact, that too works. In other words, if the tin is lined with say cardboard, it forms a very effective "pouch".

The Defender pouches are suitable for one key/fob only whereas of course the tin method can hold considerably more.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the keyless entry system can be switched off in its entirety? I was able to do this with my Jag and grateful for the facility, would be nice if I could do the same with the Lexus.

• Like 1

I bought a set of these, nice quality and big enough for the job.

I also tested mine, not detected at all even stood by the driver’s side door handle.

On mine there is a switch to turn off the “Smart” system under the driver’s side dash but it goes on to mention the remote system can be turned off but to “contact your dealer”. Bit of a retrograde step in that my 1994 Celsior has a simple slide switch for the remote on/off function.

Hopefully “As seen on TV” doesn’t mean on the Crime watch programme 😀

34104306-4FEC-4C97-B9EC-99FD81E37F5B.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I bought a set of these, nice quality and big enough for the job.

I also tested mine, not detected at all even stood by the driver’s side door handle.

On mine there is a switch to turn off the “Smart” system under the driver’s side dash but it goes on to mention the remote system can be turned off but to “contact your dealer”. Bit of a retrograde step in that my 1994 Celsior has a simple slide switch for the remote on/off function.

Hopefully “As seen on TV” doesn’t mean on the Crime watch programme 😀

34104306-4FEC-4C97-B9EC-99FD81E37F5B.png

I also bought one of these and yes it works however I find it too big and cumbersome to open close but great for my spare. I then bought a Monojoy boxy zipped thing which equally works well and it takes 2 house keys. But it's also bulky when you don't have a jacket on on warm days. But being England that won't be too often 🤣

• Haha 1

I've been using the Faraday pouches for a long time and yes, they do work well to begin with, but they do fail. My current Monojoy ones have failed after about 9 months use so two more are being delivered today.

The metallic mesh has to be flexible but it appears that that flexibility also makes it delicate and eventually the movement of the keys will break the continuity.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I've been using the Faraday pouches for a long time and yes, they do work well to begin with, but they do fail. My current Monojoy ones have failed after about 9 months use so two more are being delivered today.

The metallic mesh has to be flexible but it appears that that flexibility also makes it delicate and eventually the movement of the keys will break the continuity.

Useful insights thanks Herbs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brian R said:

Out of interest, does anyone know if the keyless entry system can be switched off in its entirety?

Yes you can turn it off. Menu > Setup > Vehicle on the main infotainment screen.

If it is turned off you need to place the key fob next to the start button to turn on the ignition.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes you can turn it off. Menu > Setup > Vehicle on the main infotainment screen.

If it is turned off you need to place the key fob next to the start button to turn on the ignition.

That is very handy to know - thank you for the future!

17 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Many thanks for that. Must admit I hadn't noticed that in the "Setup" menu but will take a look see later today.

Reports on the lightweight ones confirm they need to be replaced after a time.  I keep my key in a substantial aluminum purpose designed case called 'Vonetti'. It's rather bulky and relatively expensive but should last a lifetime.  The V2 version advertised here seems to have more heavily radiused edges than mine so better still https://www.amazon.co.uk/VONETTI-Alpha-Shield-V2-9cm-Aluminium-Black/dp/B07XKV3J8M