Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving without alternator - how far?

Has anyone any experience of driving their car without a working alternator? ( I mean alternator still in place but not charging). Assuming a fully charged Battery and minimal use of electronics, climate/radio etc. turned off. Any idea how far I would get if I try to deliver it to a garage?

I wouldn't think you would harm anything but how far you'd get would be impossible to calculate because it depends on the state of charge of the Battery and how long it lasts. Very, very, much a 'how long is a piece of string'-type question.

EDIT - probably better to tell us how far away the garage is and then we can say either 'should be ok' or 'not a cat in hell's chance' 😄

My Alternator gave up the ghost just before the QE2 Bridge at Dartford and even with sometime slow Windscreen wipers going (just a spot of rain) I got as far as half mile from the Stop 24 Service Station on A20

Can't be absolutely sure that there was no charge but Dash lights kept flickering.   It was a fairly new Yuasa Battery.

Google how many miles that is?   Quite a few! 

The Battery after the incident was charged gain and is still in the Car today although as left in France since August 2020 I suspect it may now be a dead Duck.

• Like 1

I don't think it would do any harm because alternators do occasionally fail and you may not notice immediately as car continues  to function.

I would just add to Herbs comment I hope you don't have to stop for petrol or anything else en route because restarting a great lump takes a lot out of the batter.

This reminds me of an experience I had with one of my 3.2 Litre Fiat coupes many years ago.  There was a public transport strike and I knew my alternator had failed but didn't have time to exchange it for a spare I had.  I needed to get to my office in London so I fully charged the in situ one and also a spare overnight and recharged both batteries at a point near my desk.  I was then able to get home which was about 12 miles away and probably took some 45 mins.  I was then able to fit a replacement alternator.  Of course things have got more electronically complex on cars since then, but maybe you could extend your Battery reserve to linking up say with jump leads in parallel to another Battery if you have one or can borrow one but I am not familiar with your car.  

• Like 1

About 10 wicks ago my alternator left me at work wich is about 3 mile from home

And I did just manage to come home where about 100 yard ritchin my home the stiring start getting heavier.

• Like 1

If you make sure that the headlights are off, air-con off, etc. then probably well over 100 miles.
The computers and ignition system are not high current drains.
That said, I would take along a spare charged Battery, if you have one, just in case.
I drove my 93 Carlton 35 miles with no alternator and with headlights on with no problems.

On 6/12/2021 at 2:36 PM, Malc said:

maybe try your RAC / AA Breakdown cover to then get it to the garage ?

Malc

When my alternator failed they came out and swapped the Battery over to one with a full charge and followed me the 10 miles to Lex-Tek.

27 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

If you make sure that the headlights are off, air-con off, etc. then probably well over 100 miles.
That said, I would take along a spare charged battery, if you have one, just in case.
I drove my 93 Carlton 35 miles with no alternator and with headlights on with no problems.

The spare Battery is a great idea I never even considered. I do have one albeit a lower capacity. The route to my Indy includes a good stretch of "smart" motorway, which makes me a bit twitchy

20 minutes ago, harrylime said:

The spare battery is a great idea I never even considered. I do have one albeit a lower capacity. The route to my Indy includes a good stretch of "smart" motorway, which makes me a bit twitchy

Anything on a smart motorway makes me twitchy, would be ruddy nervous if I knew car was going to konk out.  Last time I broke down was when a part of the M5 was not smart, now it is smart and I have had many a time when at 50mph, I have had artics and cars (and even the highways agencies bodkins) pull out making me have to jam on the anchors, and  this is when the signs are saying 'slow down', so would hate to coma across a breakdown not yet discoverd.

Who ever decided they were a good idea should be made to sit in a Fiat 500 for a half an hour waiting to be rescued.

• Like 1

Average seems to be between 15-30 miles on minimum load i.e. no lights, AC or audio on. If you can fully charge the Battery before setting off and then jump start the car (just starting takes a good bit of charge) you should make it there.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:19 AM, BigBoomer said:

That said, I would take along a spare charged battery, if you have one, just in case.

Fuel pump often draws quite a lot. 10-15 A perhaps.  2 hours or 100 miles or so if the 95Ah Battery i descently charged is my guess if ligths radio, wipers etc are off..   

12 hours ago, Mikaelse said:

Fuel pump often draws quite a lot. 10-15 A perhaps.  2 hours or 100 miles or so if the 95Ah battery i descently charged is my guess if ligths radio, wipers etc are off..   

Most fuel pumps draw a constant 3-5Amps. There will be brief spikes in current drawn when the pump starts and stops, but they are momentary.

On 6/12/2021 at 2:09 PM, harrylime said:

Has anyone any experience of driving their car without a working alternator? ( I mean alternator still in place but not charging)

YES on a couple of occasions over the years sadly AND what you do is get to a safe place and call the RAC to assist .......

Taking a chance on getting anywhere is a bit silly imho

Malc

• Like 1