Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential paint defect - 2017 car?

Morning all,

I was washing the car this morning and noticed, for the first time, some “hazy” patches on the roof of the car. We bought it new in November 2017. 

You can just about see them in the photos - most seem to be in a line along the centre of the roof aligned to the GPS aerial. 

The car has only ever been washed by hand, never parked under trees and has had no paint repairs. As far as I can recall, we’ve always washed off bird poop swiftly. And the pattern looks too straight for that.

I’m aware that the paint warranty is only 3 years but I still think I should approach the dealer as to my mind, there’s a strong chance that this is some sort of defect. 

What do you think? 

31AF3C6C-725D-4980-A16F-02C5A0DB9166.jpeg

68341F29-7371-4BD1-B024-814AC9EEEC2B.jpeg

81CB5AE3-D82F-4B8C-87C0-697F48130B07.jpeg

I’ve tried some basic polish on one small area, no change. I have some Turtle Wax Black Box and some Auto Glym  scratch remover to try.

And the top gets polished as much as the rest of the car 😉 which is still very shiny. And I’m 6ft 3” so reach is not an issue. 😇

Thanks for the replies so far. I shall try the various products before taking to Lexus. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, EssexGonzo said:

Morning all,

I was washing the car this morning and noticed, for the first time, some “hazy” patches on the roof of the car. We bought it new in November 2017. 

You can just about see them in the photos - most seem to be in a line along the centre of the roof aligned to the GPS aerial. 

The car has only ever been washed by hand, never parked under trees and has had no paint repairs. As far as I can recall, we’ve always washed off bird poop swiftly. And the pattern looks too straight for that.

I’m aware that the paint warranty is only 3 years but I still think I should approach the dealer as to my mind, there’s a strong chance that this is some sort of defect. 

What do you think? 

On 6/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, EssexGonzo said:

Morning all,

What do you think? 

The car has only ever been washed by hand, 

Maybe this is the biggest problem. When will you guys stop using the illegal, Albanian hand car washes which employ those poor slaves illegally? Do you think their cheap chemicals have any benefit to your paint? 

On 6/13/2021 at 10:28 AM, EssexGonzo said:

We bought it new in November 2017. 

Only noticed it after nearly four years ownership! Surely a paint "defect" would have been noticeable from the first clean?

This looks like something that's evolved over time to become bad enough for you to spot it. IMHO probably from poor cleaning technique  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links