Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear parking sensor

I've just noticed the passenger side rear (outer) parking sensor has been pushed in (not by me) has anyone tried to get to them? I can see some fixings on the boot loading cover strip but don't really want to go poking around messing things up. From what I can see access will have to be from inside the void.

Hi David,

Do not know the Lexus ones, but have been selling rear sensors that were put in from the outside into some other plastic part and if they were pressed in too far (only possible with intent to damage them) new were needed

billede.thumb.png.3d12fff228c4eaec76ad745f7eec9147.png

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 2:55 PM, B1RMA said:

I've just noticed the passenger side rear (outer) parking sensor has been pushed in (not by me) has anyone tried to get to them? I can see some fixings on the boot loading cover strip but don't really want to go poking around messing things up. From what I can see access will have to be from inside the void.

I would imagine its bumper off to push back out from behind....

Or try removing the rear wheel and arch liner see if you get a hand in there that way.

31 minutes ago, BillNick said:

I would imagine its bumper off to push back out from behind....

Or try removing the rear wheel and arch liner see if you get a hand in there that way.

Thanks, it looks like maybe the wheel arch area is the first to try. I guess nobody has had this happen so I'll post up what happens.

Unlikely you will be able to get to it from the wheel arch as the bumper sits over the rear valance and side quarters. If you release the bumper at the bottom (will need to support on axle stands) then you may be able to get your hand up to the back of the sensor. However a lot of manufacturers, including Toyota/Lexus fit polystyrene between the plastic bumper and the metal reinforcer to absorb energy in low speed impacts which may hinder your access.

This is the one that has been pushed in?

billede.png.49654b126b0fc604edb6cd2a9647c7e9.png

If so it is likely this has been damaged:

billede.png.c97f4e04ecc0e4aac7491971d5db22dc.png

I would ask Lexus to fix it as I have nowhere to take the car apart enough to get to the parts and if new is needed they will be best to get it. I hate the size of their bills, but that is what I would do.

Lexus probably has an uncommon type of sensors as with many other things. I know of 3 different sensor types so which one Lexus is using is hard to know; probably none of the ones I have seen. And the thing probably needs a special colour.

billede.png.cae995c3ef5742c4f360e90de90c70e1.png  billede.png.6e6517c26288715a343dd541f3da2315.png

This is a Toyota retainer:

billede.png.c1a1a57adf63473385ffb303c367daf1.png  

a Toyota sensor:

billede.png.98bba81c30af2ae01ee0dfdf17d35cf2.png

Searching eBay I found this for a Lexus (no mentioning of which Lexus model):

billede.png.df67d078f28f1cf023585fa9250b6ff6.png

You see why I would ask Lexus to do it for me?

Thanks for the helpful replies. I plan to do this as my weekend project, it's definitely pushed in compared to the others. A small bit of loosening and inspection should reveal if its above my pay grade and whether I need to pass it to someone who knows what they are doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRT68 said:

Were they removed and not put back properly as your wrap was being done...

No I had a small mark touched up by a  smart repair company (now there’s an oxymoron) who came back 3 times to sort it and they must have done it because it’s right where they worked.