Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice On Which Model 300H To Purchase

Ladies and Lexus Men

I am a proud owner of Lexus Vehicles since 2012 

2012-2014               IS200 Sport 

2014-Current          IS220D SE/L

I have recently changed jobs and now work in the same town that I live in. This is killing my 220D due to the short runs. (DPF warnings, far too regular)

Now the Lexus 220D has never been, super, frugal on the fuel but 27 mpg at best on my work jaunts plus the lack of running time to keep the DPF cycling fully. I have decided to jump ship and venture into the darkside (Hybrids) 

I am in no position to be purchasing a new Lexus nor the newer March 2017 versions (For road tax reasons, as it appears the earlier models are priced almost the same as the newer)

I have done a lot of searching and info seeking into the different Specs of the Different models and TBH, I'm finding them way too confusing.

As you see, above, I own an SE/L with all options other than sun roof. So I would like my next car, to be similarly kitted out

So, i've summed it up as...

For Standard Equipment The Premier is Premier, with optional extras on offer too

F-Sport Is fairly well kitted out as standard, with some nice options to bring it up to Premier Specs.

I really like the white but think the Red interior is too much and the black makes the interior too dark.  I like the white interior but I believe it was not an option on white cars?

I digress. 

My question is simple, after all the bumpf

Premier or F-Sport and why?        If I can get the F-Sport to Premier Specs for the money I'm willing to pay

Really, all I'm after is, a reason WHY, I need to pay 1000's more for the Premier if the F-Sport is just as good/better

Oh, while I'm here...

Mark Levinson Sound System Upgrade. My SE/L Has a 13 Speaker Mark Levinson sound system and it sounds great but I keep seeing the IS300H only has 6 speakers. (More confusion) is this so, or is the Levinson upgrade better speakered out?

I have been on this ruddy interweb on and off for 2 weeks looking up info and seeking out cars and It's driving me (No Pun Intended) NUTS!

So, where else could I go to find out all the REAL info? 

HERE, Obvioulsy!!!

Thanks guys n gals

• Like 1

Hi Glenn,

Welcome to the forum. Your in the right place.

The Premier spec has the Mark Levinson system, the F Sport does not unless specified. The main difference between the F-Sport and Premier is looks and the F-Sport has the fancy (LFA) style instruments.

I have a 2015 Advance model that has standard sat nav and sound system, but nice heated, cooled, electric leather seats. No sunroof. Road tax is £10.

Premier is best if it is in your budget as it has Mark Levinson and the toys. F-Sport if you prefer the looks. Try and find an F-Sport with the Mark Levinson system upgrade. Check the car tax as some models may be in the higher tax bracket as the cost new was over £40K.

I currently get around 45 mpg on short (8 mile) town commutes.

Keep the questions coming.

• Like 2

Thanks Paul

I noticed the road tax went up in March 2017 so I'm looking for ealier than that.

Also, I have been a member in here for some years but usually lurking ;-)

1 hour ago, Kiefels said:

I digress. 

My question is simple, after all the bumpf

Premier or F-Sport and why?        If I can get the F-Sport to Premier Specs for the money I'm willing to pay

Really, all I'm after is, a reason WHY, I need to pay 1000's more for the Premier if the F-Sport is just as good/better

Oh, while I'm here...

Mark Levinson Sound System Upgrade. My SE/L Has a 13 Speaker Mark Levinson sound system and it sounds great but I keep seeing the IS300H only has 6 speakers. (More confusion) is this so, or is the Levinson upgrade better speakered out?

i think it depends on what you want

more comforts you want in the car go for the Premier

for more of a sporty feel go for the F Sport

if the IS you are looking at has the premium nav then you will have

an upgraded audio a separate amp and 8 speakers and to be honest it sounds great,

you know if the car has the premium nav as the controller has a rectangular

mouse style of controller over a dial version that has the 6 speaker setup.

• Like 1

Get the F Sport if you want the looks and slightly better handling. Get the Premier if you want all the toys or sunroof. Get another grade with 16" or 17" wheels if you want the absolute best economy and softest ride.

The Premier is fully spec'd so you know exactly what you are getting. With the F Sport Premium Navigation, ventilated leather seats, ML, Adaptive Suspension are all options so make sure you understand what each one has.

Spec changes with the year but this is the spec of the different grades at launch

1375705165130805MISEquipList copy.pdf

• Like 2

You have to do your homework and recognise the options from photos eg seats with electric  memory, heating cooling, leather, ML, etc. The seats in the fsport are more bolstered than Premier so check out for fit. I've had fsport 3yrs and find seats too narrow at shoulders which makes me slump a bit. You may find low mileage models out there which are a good deal and be prepared to travel find the one you want. After looking at all the colours I chose sonic silver as compromise. Mesa red looks great but paint chips through to white primer which looks awful imo. The fsport soaks up bumps very well. I got test drives on B roads & M'ways.Happy hunting

• Like 1

If you can, a F-sport with all the toys and ML audio is what I got.

One look was all I needed to purchase mine, still get lots of looks when I cruise around town. Its Unique.

• Like 1

I do like the look of the F-Sport, it has a more, edgy look. I am looking at F-Sport with lots of upgrades AND the Premier. 

Still, really like the White. Was looking at the red but now I see it has white undercoat, it's put me more onto the white. 

My current Lexus is Dark blue/black, My previous as you see from my Avatar, was also blue. So I really want to go lighter.

Silver, no disrespect, each to their own and all that but...I can't do it. I had a silver Celica before my Lexus and it just looked dreary compared to the other colours. Also, where I work, the car park is awash of silver vehicles, I want something that stands out more.

Thanks for all the advice guys n gals.

My hunt continues and all I can say is, I will get exactly the one I want, eventually, maybe, possibly. LOL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

**Update**

Finally reeached a decision and expect to pick the new arrival to the household on Thursday 15 July 2021

I originally wished for the Premier and having found one with Ivory leather at a reasonable price, I was quite happy to drive for 3 hours to view it.  However, having arrived at the Toyota, family owned and run dealership, I was not exactly made, super welcome and they were less than helpful, so, having been told by the salesman that I had wasted 3 hours travelling and it was my loss, I decided that my money would NOT be going to them, purely out of principal . (Cost me £30 in diesel, cost them a £14,000 sale)

So, the hunt began again.

This time I broadened the field to include F-Sports and I'm glad I did.  Bagged a white 38,000 mile 2013, with Premium Nav, ML and Red Leather Heated and Vented Seats. (Thought the red would look a bit 1970's but it's actually quite stylish) and only 1.5 hours away at Kings Lynn Lexus. Where, as I have always found at Lexus dealerships, the staff were warm, welcoming and very, very helpful.

I was permitted a test drive, (something I was never asked at the Toyota dealership.  Bitter feelings from me? hell yeah!) and not having driven an automatic car on the road for, errrr...decades! I was expecting some lumpy, long winded changes with really slow pick up (Reading what people have been saying about the CVT gearbox) So, I was pleasantly surprised to find, it was MUCH better than I had anticipated. Pick up was quite quick, in sport mode, even quicker, gear changes were pretty smooth and un-eventful. So I was happy, struck up deal and that was that.

The F-Sport was more expensive (The Premier was "Priced To Sell" but Lexus Kings Lynn was just a much better experience from start to finish, so I didn't mind the higher price)

Thanks to all your help, guys n gals, because of your wise words, I believe I made a well educated, pre-planned decision and hopefuly, it will all work out perfectly because of that.

• Like 4

Thanks for the update Glen, it is much appreciated.

No harm in naming and shaming if you wish as it might assist members in the future. Please be truthful without embellishment if you wish to add more than you have already said.

It is a complete waste of time reading what others say about CVT Gearboxes. Just ask the owner of a Lexus.

Always seek advice from your Handbook and look at the many Youtube videos advices about driving a Lexus Hybrid.

Enjoy your your very fine car.

• Like 2

Hi Glenn happy that you have finally purchased the car you wanted,

the tranmission will always be smooth on the lexus hybrid system

as there aren't any gears to change hence its soo smooth

your only choice with the transmission is forward or reverse.

get your cleaning products at the ready and make your car shine

dont forget the mandatory photos of the new steed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks for the update Glen, it is much appreciated.

No harm in naming and shaming if you wish as it might assist members in the future. Please be truthful without embellishment if you wish to add more than you have already said.

I am reluctant to name and shame, especially in this case, as my treatment at this particular dealership may be subjective, to me. 

I may have expected BETTER treatment but I actually recieved, "Acceptable" treatment.

But, as I feel so strongly about it I will, on this occasion, name the dealership, only after I fill you in on "All" the details.

Okay, so the story starts with myself, scanning through sources of my desired vehicle. I spotted the "Perfect" vehicle, the exact one I was hoping for. Right colour, right coloured interior, low mileage and reasonably priced. So, I rang the dealership and asked for a viewing (Covid Restrictions and all that) I informed him that I lived some distance from them and I would email them back when I had checked on a few things and let them know when/if I would be going.

I emailed them that I would leave my house around 9am and should be with them between 12 and half past the following day.  I recieved no reply.

The following day I rang them again and asked if it is ok to see the vehicle. The curt answer was "We are expecting you today at 12-12:30" I of course replied that I had no confirmation of my viewing time, in any manner, hence, that was the purpose of my phone call. As he had just confirmed it was ok I told them I was on my way.

I arrived in time some three hours later, walked into the showroom, the salesman was fetched for me. A couple of questions asked, then he lead me outside to where the vehicle was, he then unlocked it, told me to look around it and then proceeded to... well that's the problem. Nothing, blank, no information, no details. I had to prompt him for everything. 

I asked if part ex was available, he asked on what, I pointed to my tired old 220d and he sauntered off, with the new vehicle keys, so I couldn't do anything, other than look at things. It had been valetted so, what could i look for? Overall, the car was very clean and tidy but I was already in doubt whether I wanted to part with my, hard earned, to someone who really wasn't interested.

He returned after going into the office with an offer on my car. It was really low, I was expecting low but not that low, low I'm using low a lot, that's low. Anyway i started discussing options and possible discounts, his reply was simple "No discounts, the car is priced to sell, I can sell them cars all week and they will go in no time" Fair comment, who was I to argue? 

So then he told me that I would have to put a deposit on it and could pick it up in a couple of weeks. I told him that the offer on my car, the distance I travelled and the distance I would have to travel, could we come to some arrangement on that?  "No, the price is set" OK, i said. By now I had lost complete interest.

There was some mumbling about deposits and payments on his behalf (He never asked if it was a cash or credit sale, so I didn't volunteer that info) Nor was there a mention of me being able to take it for a test drive. (Again, I wasn't going to volunteer my interest, as he had none)

I told him that with all the travelling, logistics, fuel costs and lost time, I couldn't make it work for that price. He answered "OK, you just wasted your time then, didn't you?"

I had heard enough, I asked if I could use the bathroom and left.

Had they started on the correct footing, I may have actually bought the vehicle. You know, like knowing I had travelled 3 hours to see their car, a curtious "How was the journey, would you like a tea or coffee" might have been nice but no, I had none of that. Things spiralled from there.

There are not many reviews for the dealership but they are all fairly positive. Maybe there are more people like me that have felt that things could have been better but didn't wish to bitch about it on their website?!?

Anyway this particular Toyota dealership is in Blackpool and the one in question is Harry Feeney Toyota

Disclaimer

This was my own personal experience and feelings, this does not, in any way shape or form, represent the feelings, sentiments or points of views of others and their own experiences of the afore mentioned dealership.

You are advised to make your own decisions regarding this matter by seeking further information and points of views, to gather sufficient evidence to make a valid choice

Thank you

• Like 3

Very interesting Glenn and many thanks for the bigger picture.

I`d have been livid myself and quite possibly unable to withold both barrels.

Certainly not the sort of service I would expect from any National Dealership, let alone a Toyota/Lexus Dealership.

Onwards and upwards as they and as Mark has suggested, please give us some piccies of the fine vehicle.

Looking forward to some interesting contributions from you in future Threads.

32 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Onwards and upwards as they and as Mark has suggested, please give us some piccies of the fine vehicle.

Looking forward to some interesting contributions from you in future Threads.

I will indeed be posting some pics when I take ownership of the fine looking beast. lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiefels said:

I am reluctant to name and shame, especially in this case, as my treatment at this particular dealership may be subjective, to me. 

I may have expected BETTER treatment but I actually recieved, "Acceptable" treatment.

But, as I feel so strongly about it I will, on this occasion, name the dealership, only after I fill you in on "All" the details.

Okay, so the story starts with myself, scanning through sources of my desired vehicle. I spotted the "Perfect" vehicle, the exact one I was hoping for. Right colour, right coloured interior, low mileage and reasonably priced. So, I rang the dealership and asked for a viewing (Covid Restrictions and all that) I informed him that I lived some distance from them and I would email them back when I had checked on a few things and let them know when/if I would be going.

I emailed them that I would leave my house around 9am and should be with them between 12 and half past the following day.  I recieved no reply.

The following day I rang them again and asked if it is ok to see the vehicle. The curt answer was "We are expecting you today at 12-12:30" I of course replied that I had no confirmation of my viewing time, in any manner, hence, that was the purpose of my phone call. As he had just confirmed it was ok I told them I was on my way.

I arrived in time some three hours later, walked into the showroom, the salesman was fetched for me. A couple of questions asked, then he lead me outside to where the vehicle was, he then unlocked it, told me to look around it and then proceeded to... well that's the problem. Nothing, blank, no information, no details. I had to prompt him for everything. 

I asked if part ex was available, he asked on what, I pointed to my tired old 220d and he sauntered off, with the new vehicle keys, so I couldn't do anything, other than look at things. It had been valetted so, what could i look for? Overall, the car was very clean and tidy but I was already in doubt whether I wanted to part with my, hard earned, to someone who really wasn't interested.

He returned after going into the office with an offer on my car. It was really low, I was expecting low but not that low, low I'm using low a lot, that's low. Anyway i started discussing options and possible discounts, his reply was simple "No discounts, the car is priced to sell, I can sell them cars all week and they will go in no time" Fair comment, who was I to argue? 

So then he told me that I would have to put a deposit on it and could pick it up in a couple of weeks. I told him that the offer on my car, the distance I travelled and the distance I would have to travel, could we come to some arrangement on that?  "No, the price is set" OK, i said. By now I had lost complete interest.

There was some mumbling about deposits and payments on his behalf (He never asked if it was a cash or credit sale, so I didn't volunteer that info) Nor was there a mention of me being able to take it for a test drive. (Again, I wasn't going to volunteer my interest, as he had none)

I told him that with all the travelling, logistics, fuel costs and lost time, I couldn't make it work for that price. He answered "OK, you just wasted your time then, didn't you?"

I had heard enough, I asked if I could use the bathroom and left.

Had they started on the correct footing, I may have actually bought the vehicle. You know, like knowing I had travelled 3 hours to see their car, a curtious "How was the journey, would you like a tea or coffee" might have been nice but no, I had none of that. Things spiralled from there.

There are not many reviews for the dealership but they are all fairly positive. Maybe there are more people like me that have felt that things could have been better but didn't wish to bitch about it on their website?!?

Anyway this particular Toyota dealership is in Blackpool and the one in question is Harry Feeney Toyota

Disclaimer

This was my own personal experience and feelings, this does not, in any way shape or form, represent the feelings, sentiments or points of views of others and their own experiences of the afore mentioned dealership.

You are advised to make your own decisions regarding this matter by seeking further information and points of views, to gather sufficient evidence to make a valid choice

Thank you

Absolutely no defence for the way you were treated and I would have walked as well. However it was a Toyota dealer (rather than Lexus) and so maybe that had something to do with the lack of interest - a random car they wanted to move on? That said it's not a good advert for the dealer at all. We have purchased from Lexus and Toyota (respective brands in each case) and had excellent service at both. 

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Absolutely no defence for the way you were treated and I would have walked as well. However it was a Toyota dealer (rather than Lexus) and so maybe that had something to do with the lack of interest - a random car they wanted to move on? That said it's not a good advert for the dealer at all. We have purchased from Lexus and Toyota (respective brands in each case) and had excellent service at both. 

In absolute agreement on that wharfhouse.

It is a Toyota dealership but he claimed they have had many Lexus through their Dealership, and move them on with ease. 

Maybe I'm being a little naive here but if you have vehicles to sell, regardless of make or model, you should at least learn the basics of them, to assist in the selling, to me that is just common sense. 

Never mind.  **** happens!

To blow Lexus dealerships trumpets though. A few weeks ago, I enquired about a vehicle that Lexus of Reading had just taken in part exchange. Their website had very little information about it, so I emailed them. 

Not long after I sent the email, they rang me and answered all the questions they could, bearing in mind that it was still in the workshop having work carried out on it, prior to a full valet before going on the shop floor. They then told me that they would contact other Lexus dealers, enquiring about their used car stocks and if they had one that matched my criterior, they would let me know.

Now that is what I call service!

From the whole experience, I know that, despite being treated like a 2nd class citizen, people will still purchase from a garage because they..

A) Feel pressured into it

B) Really like the car and are afraid they may not find another like it.  Or

C) Will take any amount of crap because it's too much aggro to look elsewhere.

Don't even get me started on Car Supermarkets tactics for selling

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiefels said:

In absolute agreement on that wharfhouse.

It is a Toyota dealership but he claimed they have had many Lexus through their Dealership, and move them on with ease. 

Maybe I'm being a little naive here but if you have vehicles to sell, regardless of make or model, you should at least learn the basics of them, to assist in the selling, to me that is just common sense. 

Never mind.  **** happens!

To blow Lexus dealerships trumpets though. A few weeks ago, I enquired about a vehicle that Lexus of Reading had just taken in part exchange. Their website had very little information about it, so I emailed them. 

Not long after I sent the email, they rang me and answered all the questions they could, bearing in mind that it was still in the workshop having work carried out on it, prior to a full valet before going on the shop floor. They then told me that they would contact other Lexus dealers, enquiring about their used car stocks and if they had one that matched my criterior, they would let me know.

Now that is what I call service!

From the whole experience, I know that, despite being treated like a 2nd class citizen, people will still purchase from a garage because they..

A) Feel pressured into it

B) Really like the car and are afraid they may not find another like it.  Or

C) Will take any amount of crap because it's too much aggro to look elsewhere.

Don't even get me started on Car Supermarkets tactics for selling

Yes - you would expect a dealer to do at least the basics of customer service. Some years ago my wife was looking for a new Ford. We went to one franchised Ford dealer who like in your case the sales guy couldn't seem to care less whether he sold a car or not and so we voted with our feet and went straight to another franchised dealer in the next town who couldn't have been more different - they bent over backwards to do the sale - so they got the business. My local Lexus dealer is Lexus Reading and I purchased my car from them and it's been serviced there ever since and I have been happy with their customer service - in fact when my wife wanted a new car we walked across to the Toyota dealer next door which is owned by the same company (Jemca) to purchase a Toyota for her and again were well looked after. Hope you enjoy your new car as much as I have mine. 

• Like 3

or is it because used car sales are through the roof at the moment

so if you dont buy the car someone else will come along soon to

make the purchase so they will still made the sale eventually,

on the flip side of the coin they have lost a sale they can NEVER recoup.

this happened to me at mitchells lexus chester back in 2013 looking at a 61plate ct200h

all of the photos for the PX valuation where taken by richard 4 days later no valuation provided

so i visited johnsons lexus liverpool on the thursday and collected the car the next day after work

chester's loss liverpool's gain , i've actually met my salesman Richard from chester as he now works

for johnsons lexus liverpool he's a real nice guy and always happy to assist you.

• Like 1

Just like in any industry and any job type, there are people who are very good at their job, people who are good, people who are not so good, people who are bad and also people who are downright poor at their job. We shouldn’t be surprised that there are some car sales people out there who are not that good at it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Just like in any industry and any job type, there are people who are very good at their job, people who are good, people who are not so good, people who are bad and also people who are downright poor at their job. We shouldn’t be surprised that there are some car sales people out there who are not that good at it. 

I'm reminded of my very first Lexus "Experience" at Marshall Cambridge back in 1999. My family's dealings with Marshalls over the years in Peterborough were never very positive. My father had an Austin Princess and several Rover SD1s and 800s from there and to say he thought that they were generally hopeless would be an understatement (the garage, not the cars. Well, the Princess was a bit of a disaster anyway). When he learned that I was going to drive all the way to Cambridge to look at a Lexus, he raised both eyebrows simultaneously and warned me not to expect too much. 

To set the stage, earlier in 1999, I'd seen an article in the Sunday Times about the IS200 launch over here. I was about six months away from a new car, and fell in love with the IS immediately. The looks, the speedo, sat nav (in 1999!) and the fact that it wasn't a BMW made it a delicious proposition. Off I went to Cambridge to take a look. There was a silver IS200 SE in the showroom and I spent at least half an hour walking around it, prodding it, sitting in it, opening the boot etc before a salesman eventually came over to ask if I needed any help. The showroom, I should point out, was completely deserted apart from me. 

Could I take one for a test drive? No, I was told. The demonstrator was out but I could drive it if I came back tomorrow. I left the showroom and walked by a black IS200 which was parked outside the entrance back to my car. I was a bit miffed as this meant another 80 mile round trip, but hey I wanted one. If only I'd known about Lexus Leicester at the time. 

The next day I returned and was shown to guess what? The black IS200 which was parked outside as I had left the previous day. My Miff Levels were reaching new heights.

Anyway, after a successful test drive, I left after being promised a quote the same day. I had wanted to know there and then, but I was besotted by the thought of getting into a shiny new black V plate IS200 Sport with Sat Nav on September 1st, so I just headed off back to Peterborough.

Days passed without any quote. I eventually received it with the offer of a p/x for my current car which was substantially less than I was expecting. As luck would have it, I was doing some work for Automotive Leasing at the time. I happened to drop my Marshalls experience into conversation and the chap I was working for went into overdrive. A deal for a black IS200 Sport Navigator was done in about 10 minutes, including a far better p/x value. The only issue was - you guessed it, it would come from Marshall Cambridge. Bugger, as Unlucky Alf might say.

You'd think that would be it, wouldn't you? Oh no. I'll save the story about the mat recall, seat fixing and headrest debacle for another time. Luckily by the time I needed a new IS three years later, Marshall Cambridge had lost their Lexus franchise - I can't think why for a minute - and it was now Lexus Cambridge. The buying experience was much better with them and it was out with the black one and in with a silver one. Due to working for a while at Boots in Nottingham, Lexus Nottingham got the first service and then I discovered those frankly wonderful people at Lexus Leicester and have stayed loyal to them since.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Lexus Nottingham got the first service and then I discovered those frankly wonderful people at Lexus Leicester and have stayed loyal to them since.

I like Lexus Leicester, not just because it's my nearest, it's because of the way they look after their clientele.            

But, like many other garages, franchised or not, they do tend to over-inflate parts prices, or  in my case want to replace parts that don't necessarily require replacing.

My example was sticking front brakes. I was aware of the issue and was on it's case but I had a service carried out by Lexus Leicester and being ultra efficient, they pointed the issue out with a couple of others, I was also aware of.

The sticking calipers were actually rusted slide pins. Lexus wanted almost £1000 to replace the discs and calipers. The slide pins were £17 for a pair the discs £150 for a pair.

They also noted I had a seeping rear shock. (This was picked up in my MOT, so I was also on the case) Lexus wanted nearly £1000 to replace both.

I could have gone cheap and put after markets on but to maintain the originality of my car, I found the Toyota codes for them and found somewhere in Japan that would ship them out (UK unable to source them at the price I could get them delivered for) £300 delivered and £80 to have them fit.

So, yes, I love Lexus and the extra mile they are willing to go for you but being a "Prestige" Marque, they assume that all Lexus owners have bottomless pockets and no clue on how a car works, let alone how to repair one.

Luckily, Lexus are ultra reliable and seldom require work, other than wear and tear.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links