Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just purchased a 6ft x 4ft x 5ft covered trailer can anyone advise whether I'm better driving with overdrive on or off, or indeed whether they is anything else (RX300 wise) that I should think about before a journey, other than hooking up, checking tyres, lights etc.

Cheers

Ian (the virgin tow'er!!)

Ian

From what I remember reading in the owners manual, if you are towing with an RX300SEL with air suspention, then you need to set it to low mode and maybe also turn the airsuspention off using the button in the glove box.

This will stop the vehicle constantly trying to relevel itself due to the weight of the trailer on the rear of the car.

Don't recall any instruction regarding the use of overdrive, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to use it so that you can manually control the load on the engine?

RxMike

I tow a 1 tonne caravan with my RX and only knock the overdrive off on a long drag up a hill when it will tend to change up and down like a yo-yo.

When I am towing my small trailer the most important thing to remember is that I am towing it! It makes so little difference to performance that it is easy to forget!

• 2 months later...

After 2 successful trips to and from Ireland 500 miles each I can confirm towing with an RX is no problem - You notice a small decrease in power, need to brake earlier - overall no problems. If anything knowing you have a trailer on the abck helps on Irish roads as it keeps your speed down on the twisty turny bumpy lanes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links