Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Traffic data from TMC or internet, preference, pros/cons...?

peniole

As you can see you can choose TMC or internet to receive traffic updates. The latter needing hotspot from your mobile. The question, has anyone tried the two and found one to be superior?

Cheers

image.thumb.png.20324a74359e4c8e451a8503e739d2db.png

Mine has arrived at dealer, in preparation and their changing the tyres tomorrow. Should be able to receive next week.

I use the internet works well and is very current. I found the TMC somewhat tardy in announcements, probably due to relying on (mostly) fleet lorries/vehicles to monitor traffic flow. OK on motorways and major roads but gets sketchy on less travelled routes.

Just curious, why are you having the tyres changed?

TMC has been around for a long time. Given that Toyota/Lexus later added the internet options suggest the newer method is superior. It is certainly faster at getting an initial update when first turning on your vehicle as it isn't having to wait for a radio transmission.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I use the internet works well and is very current. I found the TMC somewhat tardy in announcements, probably due to relying on (mostly) fleet lorries/vehicles to monitor traffic flow. OK on motorways and major roads but gets sketchy on less travelled routes.

Just curious, why are you having the tyres changed?

Wanted all seasons (Michelin cross climate+), not summer tyres. I'm not making that mistake in the UK ever again. In 2010 I was back from a long stint in the states, and bought a new car in Scotland. Stupidly assuming, like the US market, it would have all season tyres on it as standard. First winter I was slipping and sliding even without snow. Took a look at the tyres and to my horror realized that high performance summers were on the car, which means below 7C the rubber gets hard and below 4 you might as well be driving on plastic food trays. Did the whole summer winter tyre dance for a few years, not fun. So started paying attention to what tyres come on the cars I order and having them replaced at hand over. Have had the cross climates for 4 years, and they wear hard, are excellent in summer and winter. They do get noisy as they age though.

Thank you both for the replies on internet traffic alerts, will set my phone to turn on hotspot when it detects the car Bluetooth and set the car up accordingly.

• Like 3