Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More on Lexus Relax

This was posted on Facebook on the Lexus UK page by Lexus against an Ad it was running:

"This new Lexus warranty covers the same parts and labour as the three-year manufacturer’s warranty provided on new Lexus vehicles and the one-year manufacturer warranty that’s standard with approved used vehicles. 

It does not include wear and tear items, bodywork, paint, interior trims and maintenance parts. A vehicle health check is part of the service package, which includes all mechanical and electronic parts, which helps potential problems to be detected at an early stage. Any existing defects present at the time of service are excluded from the warranty. 

Full terms and conditions are provided at lexus.co.uk/relax."

Not sure how they can claim it covers same parts as 3 year manufacturer warranty as according to the T&Cs it clearly doesn't... 

Screenshot_20210615-221822.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

This was posted on Facebook on the Lexus UK page by Lexus against an Ad it was running:

"This new Lexus warranty covers the same parts and labour as the three-year manufacturer’s warranty provided on new Lexus vehicles and the one-year manufacturer warranty that’s standard with approved used vehicles. 

It does not include wear and tear items, bodywork, paint, interior trims and maintenance parts. A vehicle health check is part of the service package, which includes all mechanical and electronic parts, which helps potential problems to be detected at an early stage. Any existing defects present at the time of service are excluded from the warranty. 

Full terms and conditions are provided at lexus.co.uk/relax."

Not sure how they can claim it covers same parts as 3 year manufacturer warranty as according to the T&Cs it clearly doesn't... 

Screenshot_20210615-221822.png

For me Phil the crucial exclusion is : Relax does not cover vehicles that are not technically fault free?? Well plenty of examples of new cars not being fault free so are they excluded? And just what exactly is the definition of being "technically fault free", to what level of granularity? Presumably the warranty company becomes the sole arbiter of an allowable claim and huge scope to say it was a pre existing condition. Just think on a moment as to how medical /travel/ house insurance companies wriggle like fish on a hook. I cannot believe for one moment sufficient legal due diligence was paid to this promotion and, as such, see plenty of challenges coming forward in the near future but who do you sue I wonder? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

For me Phil the crucial exclusion is : Relax does not cover vehicles that are not technically fault free?? Well plenty of examples of new cars not being fault free so are they excluded? And just what exactly is the definition of being "technically fault free", to what level of granularity? Presumably the warranty company becomes the sole arbiter of an allowable claim and huge scope to say it was a pre existing condition. Just think on a moment as to how medical /travel/ house insurance companies wriggle like fish on a hook. I cannot believe for one moment sufficient legal due diligence was paid to this promotion and, as such, see plenty of challenges coming forward in the near future but who do you sue I wonder? 

Yep - high level marketing sound bites underpinned by lots of wiggle room in the (usually unread or difficult to understand) T&Cs

12 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Relax does not cover vehicles that are not technically fault free??

Presumably the warranty will not cover pre-existing faults, or will not come into force until all faults discovered at the first service, are corrected?

5 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Presumably the warranty will not cover pre-existing faults, or will not come into force until all faults discovered at the first service, are corrected?

Exactly. The same with any warranty/insurance; you have to take it out before there is a fault/claim otherwise no one would purchase the warranty unless a fault developed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Exactly. The same with any warranty/insurance; you have to take it out before there is a fault/claim otherwise no one would purchase the warranty unless a fault developed.

So the question is - once a service has been completed is a car then classed as technically fault free even if the service does not spot something that later is claimed under the warranty and the condition pre-existed the service...? Are Lexus simply betting on sorting out the difficult /grey issues on a case for care basis regardless of the T&Cs (something like goodwill) which is of course easier for them if they actually underwrite the warranty rather than a 3rd party company? 

1 minute ago, wharfhouse said:

if the service does not spot something that later is claimed under the warranty and the condition pre-existed the service...?

How does one know it pre-existed the service? It's very common for cars to be inspected before a warranty is granted. The inspection is then assumed to have been thorough and complete. Gotta draw the line somewhere!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

So the question is - once a service has been completed is a car then classed as technically fault free even if the service does not spot something that later is claimed under the warranty and the condition pre-existed the service...? Are Lexus simply betting on sorting out the difficult /grey issues on a case for care basis regardless of the T&Cs (something like goodwill) which is of course easier for them if they actually underwrite the warranty rather than a 3rd party company? 

Excellent points

My extended warranty runs out at end July. 60k/6 year service due in November. I think I will book car in for the service in July. Anything wrong can be put right under extended warranty and then I get a 12 month Relax warranty as a result of the service.

Sound plan? Am I missing anything? Any other ideas?

6 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

So the question is - once a service has been completed is a car then classed as technically fault free even if the service does not spot something that later is claimed under the warranty and the condition pre-existed the service...?

I'd say yes, in the same way the dealers where responsible for ensuring a vehicle was fault free before allowing an extended warranty to be taken out.

Obviously not every single thing can be checked, but a service should pick up most things. At time of a warranty claim the dealer would do normal due diligence (e.g. making sure a faulty part hadn't been swapped onto the car to get a free repair for a friend) but again that is impossible to 100% police.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I presume Lexus Relax does not cover breakdowns? Whilst I have my vehicle serviced by a Lexus dealership, I also take out an extended warranty. Do I need to do this?

2 minutes ago, ikeja said:

I presume Lexus Relax does not cover breakdowns? Whilst I have my vehicle serviced by a Lexus dealership, I also take out an extended warranty. Do I need to do this?

Lexus Relax does not cover breakdowns (breakdown cover is available separately from Lexus if you wish to use that). The Extended Warranty did include breakdown cover and so until your current Extended Warranty expires you will be covered for breakdowns through that. Once the Extended Warranty expires you will need to source breakdown cover separately (through Lexus or another provider) whether or not you can take advantage of Lexus Relax. 

On 6/16/2021 at 3:56 PM, ColinBarber said:

I'd say yes, in the same way the dealers where responsible for ensuring a vehicle was fault free before allowing an extended warranty to be taken out.

Obviously not every single thing can be checked, but a service should pick up most things. At time of a warranty claim the dealer would do normal due diligence (e.g. making sure a faulty part hadn't been swapped onto the car to get a free repair for a friend) but again that is impossible to 100% police.

I'd say yes, in the same way the dealers where responsible for ensuring a vehicle was fault free before allowing an extended warranty to be taken out.

That's an interesting observation Colin, is there anything in writing to substantiate that premis? Be really grateful to know 😐

49 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

That's an interesting observation Colin, is there anything in writing to substantiate that premis? Be really grateful to know 😐

Not that we are privy to as that would be between Toyota GB and the franchisee.

I’ve brought my service forward by 4 months from November to July so that it takes place just before the extended warranty expires. If anything is wrong and covered under the extended warranty I can get this done so that the Relax warranty can start. I’ve been told that the Relax warranty will not start until the extended warranty expires on July 28th but that it will expire 12 months after the service. Just have to look at breakdown cover now and as has been said I could get this at a good price through a Nationwide account. Will investigate all options closer to the time. The service plus breakdown cover will be less than I was going to pay to extend the warranty for two years and as I would have still had to pay for the service in November it will be much cheaper. Of course the cover is lower but I’ll take that chance. If anything goes wrong and is not covered by Relax it may well be a nail in the coffin of my relationship with Lexus. Time will tell.

8 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I’ve brought my service forward by 4 months from November to July so that it takes place just before the extended warranty expires. If anything is wrong and covered under the extended warranty I can get this done so that the Relax warranty can start. I’ve been told that the Relax warranty will not start until the extended warranty expires on July 28th but that it will expire 12 months after the service. Just have to look at breakdown cover now and as has been said I could get this at a good price through a Nationwide account. Will investigate all options closer to the time. The service plus breakdown cover will be less than I was going to pay to extend the warranty for two years and as I would have still had to pay for the service in November it will be much cheaper. Of course the cover is lower but I’ll take that chance. If anything goes wrong and is not covered by Relax it may well be a nail in the coffin of my relationship with Lexus. Time will tell.

So Paul this is interesting. If you are accepted for the Relax scheme by definition this means that the dealer agrees your car is technically fault free,happy days 😎. I am with nationwide and you need a Flexplus account @ £13 a month. This gives you breakdown / travel /mobile phone insurance and keeping 2.5k in the account gets you preferential interest which goes towards monthly fee. The travel insurance is a real win up to the age of 70.After that you can keep it with an additional premium depending upon existing conditions , for example I pay £100 a year, still a bargain. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:28 AM, ikeja said:

Lexus has a deal with the AA, essentially top level home + European cover for the entire household for about £120/year, its driver specific not car.

Presumably Lexus are so confident in their cars they know no one will use the cover. We've had the Lexus cover for the last 4 years, it simply rolls on each year vai DD.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:13 AM, ColinBarber said:

This scheme looks amazing, I've looked through the T&Cs, is actually much more generous than the extended warranty Tesla offer - which costs £880/year!!!

Lexus will even cover the car if its NEVER been serviced at a Lexus dealer and MISSED services - like our 2015 IS. Looks like I might use Lexus again for servicing!!

Well done Lexus, shows they have real faith in the longevity of their cars and aren't afraid to back it up. 

Just now, ganzoom said:

This scheme looks amazing, I've looked through the T&Cs, is actually much more generous than the extended warranty Tesla offer - which costs £880/year!!!

Lexus will even cover the car if its NEVER been serviced at a Lexus dealer and MISSED services - like our 2015 IS. Looks like I might use Lexus again for servicing!!

Well done Lexus, shows they have real faith in the longevity of their cars and aren't afraid to back it up. 

As a standalone product the Lexus Relax looks good but there are some of us who see this differently who have been using the Extended Warranty, just gone over 100k miles and had planned on keeping the Extended Warranty in place (for peace of mind) to 140k miles and now are left in the lurch so to speak. 100k miles isn't actually that much for modern cars (in the past I've run a BMW to 210k miles and a Honda Accord to 160k miles and some company cars in the 1980s easily past 100k miles without any major issues). So Lexus have actually taken a step back from warranting cars to 140k miles to only 100k miles which one "could" interpret as their cars may be getting less reliable and they have less trust in them doing high mileages otherwise why not the old warranty 140k miles... Given the 10 year age limit a lot of people still do 12k - 15k miles a year which based on 10 years takes them to around 140k miles. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

In the past I've run a BMW to 210k miles and a Honda Accord to 160k miles 

With factory backed extended warranties in place that has no additional cost compared to a service?

I have zero doubt any Lexus will do 200k with no issues, but a factory backed warranty for the cost a service is another matter...

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

With factory backed extended warranties in place that has no additional cost compared to a service?

I have zero doubt any Lexus will do 200k with no issues, but a factory backed warranty for the cost a service is another matter...

I had no extended warranty on the BMW or Honda - the BMW did have dealer servicing through it's life (car was bought new until I traded it on for another at that mileage) but the Honda was maintained by an independent after the first few years. I'm sure many people will be delighted with Lexus Relax, particularly lower mileage drivers, but for me I bought the Lexus IS 300h with a plan to run it to 140k miles (when it would be about 10 years old) knowing I could get the Extended Warranty until then if I wanted that peace of mind. I appreciate the Extended Warranty terms could always be changed by Lexus but to pull the rug out from under my plans leaves a bad taste. If they had continued to offer the old Extended Warranty to those like myself until we reached the 10 year / 140k miles I would have no complaints - but they clearly chose not to and to cast aside those customers who do a higher mileage than 10k miles per annum and like keeping their cars for a reasonable period of time. Anyway, decision time for me is in November when my current Extended Warranty expires and I will take a view at that time which direction I then take. This was my first Lexus (after quite a few BMWs and Mercs in the family along with a smattering of Fords and a Honda) and I purchased it for all the reasons that come out on this forum and looking forward to a long term relationship with the brand - however with no more IS saloons and now this it may be the last - time will tell... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Anyway, decision time for me is in November when my current Extended Warranty expires and I will take a view at that time which direction I then take. This was my first Lexus (after quite a few BMWs and Mercs in the family along with a smattering of Fords and a Honda) and I purchased it for all the reasons that come out on this forum and looking forward to a long term relationship with the brand - however with no more IS saloons and now this it may be the last - time will tell... 

September is decision time for me and I think I will be without my GS shortly afterwards..

3 hours ago, ganzoom said:

I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but this is a rather foolish statement.  Have I got the wrong end of the stick or are you saying that you think any Lexus car can make it to 200k without suffering any issues?  Even if we are referring to only major components, then this would still be a strange position.

Perhaps it was just badly worded, but if not, then I am sure there are many owners (myself included) that can easily disprove this view.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links