Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I thought I might share with you my first 90 day experience of owning a RX450H which may resonate with other people or not as the case may be, and in no particular order; 

Despite it having the footprint as my XKR this is a big unit and without the rear camera I would need a HGV licence to reverse and still haven't braved parallel parking😊

The internal dimensions are huge which is great for my dog crate but is ruddy cold in winter thank goodness for heated seats and gloves 😁

Yet despite its bulk on the road it is surprisingly Inconspicuous and doesn't draw attention which has its advantages I think. 

On a flat surface the ride is supreme, effortless, very quiet just the hum of tyres at 70. And in the relentless traffic queues on motorways it is just fantastic noise is zero except for a/C fan. This means when getting out at the other end it doesn't feel like you have been run over more than the tarmac. On uneven surfaces however it does get you in training for a part in Bill and Ben. 🤭

My dealings to date with my local dealer have been just excellent and give you the confidence customer satisfaction is paramount. 

MPG is twice my Jag and VED nearly half! What's not to like? 

Albeit lacking DAB my phone works perfectly when listening to Talk Radio 

Finally, on a fine sunny day driving on that long M50 sweep towards Wales, listening to Classic FM playing the theme of The Big Country gives you goose pimples in the recognition of how incredibly lucky you are. (yes I know you would prefer it to be Yorkshire) 😎

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I thought I might share with you my first 90 day experience of owning a RX450H which may resonate with other people or not as the case may be, and in no particular order; 

Despite it having the footprint as my XKR this is a big unit and without the rear camera I would need a HGV licence to reverse and still haven't braved parallel parking😊

The internal dimensions are huge which is great for my dog crate but is ruddy cold in winter thank goodness for heated seats and gloves 😁

Yet despite its bulk on the road it is surprisingly Inconspicuous and doesn't draw attention which has its advantages I think. 

On a flat surface the ride is supreme, effortless, very quiet just the hum of tyres at 70. And in the relentless traffic queues on motorways it is just fantastic noise is zero except for a/C fan. This means when getting out at the other end it doesn't feel like you have been run over more than the tarmac. On uneven surfaces however it does get you in training for a part in Bill and Ben. 🤭

My dealings to date with my local dealer have been just excellent and give you the confidence customer satisfaction is paramount. 

Finally, on a fine sunny day driving on that long M50 sweep towards Wales, listening to Classic FM playing the theme of The Big Country gives you goose pimples in the recognition of how incredibly lucky you are. (yes I know you would prefer it to be Yorkshire) 😎

What Lexus dealer do you use?

A very good and interesting write-up. What trim is your 450h? SE-L? SE-i? F-Sport?

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

What Lexus dealer do you use?

A very good and interesting write-up. What trim is your 450h? SE-L? SE-i? F-Sport?

Derby, Ashley Ambrose is the After Sales manager, very knowledgeable and accommodating individual. SE-I, 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, b4u2 said:

@Phil xxkr

I wish I can afford one of those!

Oddly enough I can vividly recall a time when I thought exactly the same thing but time, aspirations and luck have a habit of working in your favour 🍀

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

A couple of other points I should have mentioned are firstly, because it's so quiet you can easily neurotic about each little squeak and noise, if you are so minded do not under any circumstances put a dog crate in the back if you do turn up the  radio volume 😀. Secondly, again related to the lack of noise, cruise control is crucial in keeping your licence endorsement free (or freer). Some kind person on here recommended Radarbot which I have and find its auto connect feature really useful. Oh, and I should have pointed out Bill and Ben the flower pot men were marionettes in an early childhood TV programme and not a reference to the old bill or big Ben. 😉

• Haha 1

Phil xxkr, I'm considering replacing my Is300H SE (16 inch wheels) with an Rx 450h for trundling around the SWest area (Exmoor, Dartmoor etc.). Your comment, "On uneven surfaces however it does get you in training for a part in Bill and Ben. " interests me. Would you please expand on your observations regarding uneven surfaces/rough/country B roads. Thanks.

Pleased you are enjoying your RX450 SE-I, I had a 2011 version of it which I had for three years ... and it is the only time ever in over 40 year of driving that having had a car I changed if for the same make/model to a 2017 RX450 Luxury.

After the 2011 RX the 2017 RX is another step up again, more refined.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tanimbar said:

Phil xxkr, I'm considering replacing my Is300H SE (16 inch wheels) with an Rx 450h for trundling around the SWest area (Exmoor, Dartmoor etc.). Your comment, "On uneven surfaces however it does get you in training for a part in Bill and Ben. " interests me. Would you please expand on your observations regarding uneven surfaces/rough/country B roads. Thanks.

Morning Steve, I can only comment on my 2012 model so bear that in mind as I believe relatively new models have redesigned suspension making the ride less jangly. But I too live in a relatively rural area where surfaces aren't brilliant and it's a heavy car so you do feel potholes etc much more than say my XKR. Is it acceptable? For me yes it is as I do low mileage and when not on a rough road it's just great. But to get a better idea YouTube High Peak Autos and his review of a 2014 450h and then get your local lexus dealer to let you borrow one to try out I am sure if you talk to them nicely and say you want to write a review for the LOC on the rx450h in a rural environment they will accommodate. Let me know how you get on 👍

4 minutes ago, flookyk said:

Pleased you are enjoying your RX450 SE-I, I had a 2011 version of it which I had for three years ... and it is the only time ever in over 40 year of driving that having had a car I changed if for the same make/model to a 2017 RX450 Luxury.

After the 2011 RX the 2017 RX is another step up again, more refined.

Very timely Keith, as you can see here Steve from the west country wants to know more about ride quality. 

Phil, thanks for the further description of the ride on rough roads. Useful info.

Beyond the ride quality the other reason for a long test-drive is vehicle size and reversing back to a passing place on B roads - I do that a lot. Not convinced yet that reversing cameras assist much when the reversing distance is 10s of metres, meaning that using the old fashioned 'view out of the back windows' might still be best.

41 minutes ago, tanimbar said:

Phil, thanks for the further description of the ride on rough roads. Useful info.

Beyond the ride quality the other reason for a long test-drive is vehicle size and reversing back to a passing place on B roads - I do that a lot. Not convinced yet that reversing cameras assist much when the reversing distance is 10s of metres, meaning that using the old fashioned 'view out of the back windows' might still be best.

Hi Steve, well I find when reversing between two hedges onto my drive it's an absolute godsend, its good clarity and the guide lines I think would be a huge advantage to you as well as the mega door mirrors. Side pillars are a bit big and rear quarter visibility limited. 

• Like 1

As Phil has said, the mirrors are a big help and so is the camera when reversing, its just a matter of practice.

Maybe those of my age, it comes more naturally, especially having driven hired vans a few times years ago that you could not see through the cabin and had no camera so had to rely on the door mirrors alone. In the drive of the house I used to live in if reversing a luton van in you had to reverse in until close to the mirrors then fold them in while getting through the gates, then folding them back out again.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies on reversing but they do not address my possible problem. In the SWest many B roads are single track with passing places. If you meet an oncoming car between passing places then one of the cars has to reverse - this usually involves 10s of metres of reversing and at more than walking pace (or you don't get the single finger solute from the sheep farmer). It is something more tricky than reverse parking up a drive when reversing cameras and big mirrors are adequate.

The long reverse in an RX450h  is what I need to try.

36 minutes ago, tanimbar said:

Thanks for the replies on reversing but they do not address my possible problem. In the SWest many B roads are single track with passing places. If you meet an oncoming car between passing places then one of the cars has to reverse - this usually involves 10s of metres of reversing and at more than walking pace (or you don't get the single finger solute from the sheep farmer). It is something more tricky than reverse parking up a drive when reversing cameras and big mirrors are adequate.

I know exactly your situation I sometimes have the same and as Keith has just implied practice is key and what we have both tried to point out (perhaps it could have been worded better) is that if the camera assists in a very narrow confine then, together with the guide lines on the display reversing over a longer stretch will not be a problem where keeping the car parallel to the hedge or verge is the key skill. 

3 hours ago, tanimbar said:

I spent many years as a telephone engineer with BT so driving my van made me very comfortable at reversing with the door mirrors alone. So much so that even to this day, 20 years since I was last in my BT van, I still reverse that way. The only time I ever glance at the camera screen is when reversing up to a wall or something similar, otherwise my RX450h can be seen reversing at quite a rate of knots down single track country lanes or wherever it needs to, by the door mirrors alone.

No offence meant but I have no truck with folks who say the RX is too big or whatever. We've all passed the same driving test. My own sister in law takes the proverbial biscuit though. She just cannot parallel park and will genuinely just abandon her car and ask a complete stranger to park it for her! I would confiscate her licence if it was up to me but, thankfully for her, it isn't.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I spent many years as a telephone engineer with BT so driving my van made me very comfortable at reversing with the door mirrors alone. So much so that even to this day, 20 years since I was last in my BT van, I still reverse that way. The only time I ever glance at the camera screen is when reversing up to a wall or something similar, otherwise my RX450h can be seen reversing at quite a rate of knots down single track country lanes or wherever it needs to, by the door mirrors alone.

No offence meant but I have no truck with folks who say the RX is too big or whatever. We've all passed the same driving test. My own sister in law takes the proverbial biscuit though. She just cannot parallel park and will genuinely just abandon her car and ask a complete stranger to park it for her! I would confiscate her licence if it was up to me but, thankfully for her, it isn't.

Being so competent in reversing are you Italian by any chance 😉. And your comments are a bit harsh Herbs. I wonder how many people would be able to pass a test if it were in a RX450H and not a Ford Focus, not many I bet. Regarding your sister I also willing to bet she doesn't read these columns otherwise be very wary of the next cup of tea she makes you 🍵😂

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Being so competent in reversing are you Italian by any chance 😉

Are Italians supposed to be good in reversing? Or are you joking?

OK, perhaps I was a bit harsh so I apologise for that.

I suppose it's partly down to the fact that we have all taken the driving test and so we should be able to drive, but perhaps it's more down to the fact that I've always loved driving and never been the slightest bit nervous about it. I had my first lesson on my 17th birthday and passed first time not long after, back in 1975. I still get as much pleasure out of it now as I did then.

Something else that I suppose played a part in my experience was working for BT and driving a few different vehicles. I was a cable jointer and on my first day I was asked if I could drive and when I said yes, I was immediately given the keys to one of these jointer's wagons. I'd never driven anything bigger than a Morris Marina before that day! No messing about, just get on and do it, so I did. Within a couple of days it was a doddle.

bedfordtk.thumb.png.2fd96f1bee083feca7a52b49226924f4.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, serbarry said:

Hello Sergio, of course, I am merely reviving what used to pass as an English sense of humour but I fear no more. 😭

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

OK, perhaps I was a bit harsh so I apologise for that.

I suppose it's partly down to the fact that we have all taken the driving test and so we should be able to drive, but perhaps it's more down to the fact that I've always loved driving and never been the slightest bit nervous about it. I had my first lesson on my 17th birthday and passed first time not long after, back in 1975. I still get as much pleasure out of it now as I did then.

Something else that I suppose played a part in my experience was working for BT and driving a few different vehicles. I was a cable jointer and on my first day I was asked if I could drive and when I said yes, I was immediately given the keys to one of these jointer's wagons. I'd never driven anything bigger than a Morris Marina before that day! No messing about, just get on and do it, so I did. Within a couple of days it was a doddle.

bedfordtk.thumb.png.2fd96f1bee083feca7a52b49226924f4.png

Isn't that just the way it was "sink or swim? Never was a better school than the one of hard knocks amazing what a clip round the lug hole did to focus on the job in hand. When I was learning to drive I had a habit of leaving my hand on the gear knob! This was cured by the instructor hitting it with a piece of wood 😱 Oddly enough I never did it again nor did I need counselling for the trauma of hurt feelings 😢 otherwise we may have ended up as cable knitters not jointers Herbs! 

7 hours ago, serbarry said:

The old joke was that Italian tanks had 5 gears .. 1 forward and 4 reverse.. because the Italian Army was always retreating.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flookyk said:

The old joke was that Italian tanks had 5 gears .. 1 forward and 4 reverse.. because the Italian Army was always retreating.

True! My father fought them in North Africa1

11 hours ago, Herbie said:

If the helpful stranger was to crash the car reversing, it would be interesting to learn how her insurers would react when she explained why somebody was driving her car or alternatively just drove off with it!

I have never had a car with a rear camera and must say it is helpful in knowing how close you are to a vehicle you are backing up to.  However, it is dangerous to rely on the camera in say a car park as it only covers a small angle and it is easy to miss cars about to transverse across your rear, so you do need to check mirrors too.

There are some interesting points here. Seems whenever I want to check the car's camera's that the screen is washed out by the sun so a lot of the time I just don't bother looking at it. When I first joined this site I used the name "Jogglebox" which was back in 2004. When I changed to a 2005 SEL I was no longer in practice for my part in "Bill and Ben" - the flowerpot men and I changed to stringbender. I had to choose there and then on the phone and always wished I'd said "Bluesbender" as I still am a keen electric guitar twiddler.

Alan

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links