Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Living with a Grom V Line 2

Wanted to share an update on life with my Grom V Line 2 unit in my 08 RX400H. I have heard and read quite a few bad stories so wanted to share my own experience so far.

The unit was installed by myself ( someone with absolute bare minimum electrical/audio experience ) and in all honesty was straight forward. Since installing it has been used most days on my commute, and so far has not missed a beat!

I have added a permanent data connection with a sim in the car, which means the V Line is connected to the internet 24/7, and gives the option tou se online maps and streaming apps without plugging my phone in. Apps used so far, Youtube, Spotify, Google Maps, Waze, Netflix, have all worked with no issues, no freezing or slow downs etc.

Android Auto has also worked fine every time I have used, although with the permanent data connection, not actually needed as much. All in all, maybe I got lucky and my unit was properly sorted from the factory, but it has been a great mod.

I will say although car electrics and audio are not my speciality, computers and operating systems are something I know a bit about, and frankly the unit is a mini android computer, and the only actual connection to the cars systems is the screen output. Therefore its not much different from plugging in an android phone into your tv, which even a 5 year old android phone would handle relatively well and run most apps needed.

Ended up longer than I expectes but hopefully this may help those on the fence? Ill post another update further down the line!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...