Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well having owned 4 Lexus since 206 I have now decided it is time to move on.

My business mileage due to cOVID has dwindled from 500 miles a week to Zero.

My wife doesn't like to drive my current RX so we needed something smaller and suitable for our Scottish holidays (Ground clearance needed to get to the holiday house we rent).

We couldn't see anything in the Lexus /Toyota range that appealed and most other brands small SUV's are auto only in diesel.

The thought of downsizing and getting something that would be capable offroad when we go to Scotland and Exmoor appealed.

Doing a lot less miles means that fuel consumption is not an issue -- but what should we get that we both enjoyed driving and was from a reliable manufacturer.

Well we definitely went 'off piste' and decided to look at the Subaru XV 2 litre petrol. 

Well to cut a long story short they are like hens teeth. I wanted to buy a car that was around 2 years old. Several I saw on the Subaru website were already sold and I wanted a post 2018 car as they had a major structual and safety revision ( 5 star NCAP rating under the new regime). I had approached a Dealer near Coventry about a particular vehicle, but sadly it was sold, but he had another 14 month old car which was the lower spec version (half leather instead of full, no sunroof, no sat nav), but apple car play and Android connect so not a deal breaker  esecially as I use my  Tomtom anyway. otherwise a similar amount of kit to most Lexus -heated seats paddle shift, radar cruise, sped limit sign recognition etc etc.

Well I had reckoned on around £27,000 for my RX so when he did some research and came back with a figure of £28,500 I nearly fell over (I only I only paid around £34,000 for the car in November 2019), especially when he complimented me on the  great condition my car was in.

We went and test drove the car and it was amazingly good for the money. The eyesight safety system is  probably more sophisitcated than the Lexus ( has blind spot warning which as we know is not on most Lexus) and the car felt extremely comfortable. Car was serviced 3,00 miles ago, but as it had been in stock for more than 3 months it is getting a fresh service and the sales guy is bringing it to me on Friday. 

Not a Lexus - but I won't be doing the big miles every day. 

Oh and the 5 year warranty is a definite plus, as is the large wad of cash that will be going in my bank as the Subaru had also just been reduced by £2000.

I have to say this was probably the most painless car purchase I've ever had and the standard of vehicle preparartion leaves Lexus in the shade.

Just hoping the car lives up to Subaru's reliability claims. 

• Like 9

I've had a brand new Outback for about 3 weeks now and if the XV is anything like that I'm sure you'll be happy. I'm very impressed with the build, fit and finish. I'll also say that my dealer experience was much the same. Painless. Enjoyable even!

And the standard safety kit plus the Eyesight system is astonishing.

We'll compare notes come winter :thumbsup:

When I was 11 my Grandparents who I lived with bought a remote cottage in Herefordshire in 1990. It had no water, electricity and was on a common with a mile long track. Grandparents took a risk buying as apparently no vehicle access, even though track in use by farmers with sheep on common/hillside.

Had grant for extension/bathroom. Waited a year for electricity! 8k. Using 14kva lister generator that was unreliable! Ran it on red diesel, local farmer let us use his tank at yard. Got generator up hill with 3x 4wd vehicles. First a Subaru brat pickup chained to a Daihatsu 4 track, behind that a Hilux with ivor williams trailer with genny on, useless as no off road tyres. It had rained for months and took all day to get up the hill the short way but steeper as only access to our garden. Lady of the Manor allowed us to go the short way, which was acrodd 2 field, up through a steep track with 2 90 degree turns and a 1in 2 rise and 4 gates in total. 1 on steepest bit with tree root steps. Water was a borehole. Cost 5k. 273Ft.

My Nan when looking for a 4WD looked at a 1970's Land rover and a Jeep Cherokee and hated them. Had a Volvo 244 prior to the move. My Dad bought a Subaru Brat and it sailed up the hill! We then got a MK1 Subaru 1600 (FUJ)for my Nan to use everyday and had a really nice used MK2 1800. (RUH127Y) one for best at bottom of track. In the nearly 4 years we lived there only drive shafts on the MK2 went as serious mud ingestion. MK1 scrapped after 6 months as builders burnt clutch out bringing blocks and sand up the short way, which was very steep and gated. Couldn't afford to replace clutch. Builders Hired a thwaites 4wd dumper.

Both exhausts would blow/ripped off as scraped on humps in middle of ruts. You could feel floorpan scrape/move when ground frozen. Would fit a lifting kit now, but none left! Always started. Had to use first/reverse to free the car as wheels had frozen to the mud! Really liked it as a kid as free to wander the common, hill fort, Fishpool Valley and not see anyone in hours!

We are still in contact and visit the new owners since we sold in late 1994 and they have 3 Landrovers! The most reliable is their 96 County 90! I liked Subaru and the school kids called our MK1 the mean machine as had rear wheels sticking past wheel arches, bull bars, 4 spots, rally lights in an ark and always a loud/popping exhaust and dripping in mud and water as bottom of track flooded so arrived for school bus with wipers on, mud/water running off car and exhaust popping/growling! Used to get local Garage to MOT it and repair/weld up exhaust. They would spend 1 hour jet-washing it as banned from local jetwash!

James.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pleased you are happy with the trade in you negotiated and wish you well with your new steed.  Invariably, most of us trade at some point and may find something more suitable or tempting in another marque.  Maybe you will return to a Lexus at some future date.  I was thinking about my RX today and how very comfortable it was.  This is my first of a number of priorities due to back problems.  When the time comes to move on it might be quite a problem to get something so comfortable.

Anyway, let's see some pics of your Scooby and feel free to look in on your friends here when you feel so inclined.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed your posts too Les and wish you well with the new motor. Do drop in occasionally and let us know how things are going. I've been behind the wheel of a Lexus since 2004 but I reckon I'll change when my PCP ends. Trouble is, I don't know what to go for !

Alan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Well having owned 4 Lexus since 206 I have now decided it is time to move on.

Be safe and happy.

I’ve had relatives with Subaru over the years, and the feedback has always been positive. The few times I’ve considered them I’ve never been able to get a good enough deal to account for the distance to the dealer, but I’d certainly have either an Outback or a Forester having driven both. Never driven an XV but sure it will be robust and reliable with excellent off-road ability.

To my knowledge Toyota have a stake in Subaru - they collaborated on the GT86 / BRZ - so you might not be leaving the fold completely! Good luck, I’m sure it will serve you very well.

Sorry to read this Les, I've enjoyed your input and postings about your own RXs. But your decision is quite understandable.

I've considered buying a Subaru in the past (Outback in my case) and will do so again in the future.

Interesting to know about the value of yours, I presume this is due to the apparent shortage of decent used cars (which in turn comes from people slowing-up on buying new cars).

Hope you all enjoy the Subaru pics.

I may well return to Lexus in the future, but the loss of between £450 and £850 a month mileage payments really made this decision very easy .

I'm sure I'll look in from time to time , certainly so far I'm very impressed with Unity Motors at Balsall Common- the guy I'm dealing with previously worked at Lexus Birmingham and with Jaguar /Land Rover. He left LandRover because he was fed up with the abusive phone calls from unhappy customers - he said he averaged 7 a day!

Best wishes to you all

Les

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all your contributions Les, I must say that it's been the contents and opinions on this forum that convinced me to consider Lexus cars.... - and hence my purchase.

Thank you, and have a great life.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links