Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Incorrect fitting of Cambelt to VW Polo - Advice Please

Greetings all Venerable and Prudent Members

Our Polo went into the VW Dealership in Derby for the fitting of a new Cambelt and a MOT. On the drive home after collection the car was not running smoothly so it was returned the following morning. On collection that evening I was given a written Report stating "Checked timing and Cambelt - All OK" Lambda Sensor requires replacement. I queried this as the Polo had passed the MOT Exhaust Emissions test the day before with no problems. I asked to speak to the Manager but not on site. Eventually the Dealership agreed to fit new Sensor Free of Charge but I would  have to wait for delivery of the part.

On collection of Polo after fitting of Lambda Sensor only managed to drive 40-50 yards as car was shaking and juddering very violently, so abandoned it in their car park and returned the key. Two Technicians went for Test Drive and confirmed it was misfiring so left the vehicle with the Dealership. Next day Dealership phoned to say Technicians had again rechecked Cambelt fitting and still could not identify the problem so had emailed VW for guidance. VW advised them to check the Camshaft Lobes. Day later Dealership phoned to say Polo was ready for collection, their Senior Technician had inspected and correctly installed the Cambelt - it was one cog out.

I emailed Letter of Complaint to the Managing Director of VW Dealership in Derby with a copy to VW Customer Services. Still no response from Managing Director.

As I have lost confidence in the workmanship and honesty of the Dealership I have requested an unbiased Independent VW Technician to give the Polo a clean bill of health, VW Customer Services say they have no Technicians and the Dealership are only offering to give the Polo a free Health Check.

What to do next?

1) Should I bother sending a follow up Letter of Complaint to the Managing Director?

2) Would anything be achieved by involving the Motor Ombudsman?

3) I have not raised the issue of some form of Goodwill. What is the minimum I should expect?

Any Guidance and suggestions from your intensive knowledge on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, stepheneric said:

Greetings all Venerable and Prudent Members

Our Polo went into the VW Dealership in Derby for the fitting of a new Cambelt and a MOT. On the drive home after collection the car was not running smoothly so it was returned the following morning. On collection that evening I was given a written Report stating "Checked timing and Cambelt - All OK" Lambda Sensor requires replacement. I queried this as the Polo had passed the MOT Exhaust Emissions test the day before with no problems. I asked to speak to the Manager but not on site. Eventually the Dealership agreed to fit new Sensor Free of Charge but I would  have to wait for delivery of the part.

On collection of Polo after fitting of Lambda Sensor only managed to drive 40-50 yards as car was shaking and juddering very violently, so abandoned it in their car park and returned the key. Two Technicians went for Test Drive and confirmed it was misfiring so left the vehicle with the Dealership. Next day Dealership phoned to say Technicians had again rechecked Cambelt fitting and still could not identify the problem so had emailed VW for guidance. VW advised them to check the Camshaft Lobes. Day later Dealership phoned to say Polo was ready for collection, their Senior Technician had inspected and correctly installed the Cambelt - it was one cog out.

I emailed Letter of Complaint to the Managing Director of VW Dealership in Derby with a copy to VW Customer Services. Still no response from Managing Director.

As I have lost confidence in the workmanship and honesty of the Dealership I have requested an unbiased Independent VW Technician to give the Polo a clean bill of health, VW Customer Services say they have no Technicians and the Dealership are only offering to give the Polo a free Health Check.

What to do next?

1) Should I bother sending a follow up Letter of Complaint to the Managing Director?

2) Would anything be achieved by involving the Motor Ombudsman?

3) I have not raised the issue of some form of Goodwill. What is the minimum I should expect?

Any Guidance and suggestions from your intensive knowledge on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated

When main dealerships make mistakes like that it does not fill you with much confidence. That would finish me with that dealership. I am not mechanically minded but I do wonder if any damage has been caused by their inept workmanship.

• Like 1

Not something you would expect at a specific manufacturer’s dealership but at the end of the day could happen. In this case it appears to be human error but given that cams are normally locked to prevent movement during a belt change (SST Special Service Tools) or at least marked for correct orientation incompetence springs to mind.

When you mention the cam gear was “one cog out” I assume you mean it was one tooth out?

Regarding a letter to the MD has anyone already apologised because that and “ we will investigate” is all you are likely to receive in response.

Ombudsman normally requires the company complaints procedure is followed first.

”Goodwill” What are you expecting? They certainly won’t be offering cash compensation, they made a mistake, it took 2 attempts to sort it but they did it. For your “inconvenience” the normal offerings are perhaps a free service ( do you really want to go back there?), fill the tank with fuel and valet the car or an invite to the next model launch evening.

The one thing I would get is a written report on the cause of the problem just in case there is any long term engine damage as a result, I wouldn’t have thought if the belt was just one tooth out there would be valve to piston contact or camshaft damage but get it in writing just in case.

Personally I’d put it down to experience and find a different dealer. As others have noted, dealers of all marques make mistakes and can be better or worse than others.

In situations like this, I always ask myself two questions.

1. is it an argument I can win?

2. is it an argument worth winning?

If the time taken to complain makes the answer to either ‘no’ then don’t bother and move on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for your comments, but you seem to confirm what I feared, the big guy  comes out on top again.

I did manage to get a written 12 months guarantee from the Dealer "on the work carried out and any consequential failure related components with ourselves", before I would accept return of the vehicle.

Hopefully it will be honoured if anything does unfortunately go wrong.

As to Goodwill I was hoping that they would fully reimburse the total cost of the Cambelt fitting and MOT - £548.

I am not confident to let them valet the Polo never mind touch anything mechanical

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

After three months of procrastination VW Parkway, Derby reimbursed 50% of the original invoice for fitting the cambelt and carrying out an MOT.

By waiting three months the concept of Damage Limitation is obviously not part of their  management ideology. With regard to VW Customer Services - the perfect oxymoron - and as much use as a chocolate teapot. I am sure I would have received more empathy and help from the Cats Protection League.

It has been noted that several LOC members have experienced improved/additional service after having issues with Dealerships. I still do not have confidence in Parkway and their Technicians so it is highly unlikely I will return to their premises.

If anyone cares to look up the reviews of VW Parkway on Trustpilot they will see that it appears their service and treatment of customers is endemic to the whole group.

• Like 1

I just noticed the cost of the cam belt and MOT, I thought Lexus were expensive for servicing but seem to remember they only charged around £500.00 for the LS400 belt change.

If the engine is the usual front wheel drive transverse set up with a single cam I would expect the job to take a maximum of 2 hours with all the tools in hand but the exception of cam locking ones.

I cut through Pride Park yesterday having been to Dunhelm.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links