Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Checking out an 11 year old / 150k mile RX - what should I look for?

Hi. I've wanted a Lexus for ages and I am going to look at a second-hand one tomorrow. It is a 450h from 2010, has done a bit less that 150k miles. Looks in excellent nick on the pics but is there anything in particular I should be looking for, checking for, asking about etc.

Many thanks

If car is being bought from Lexus dealership you will get a good warranty.  There is also some protection from a car dealer though can vary.  If private sale, perhaps best you get inspected by somebody familiar with the model.  These cars can look good and generally wear well but some of the parts are very expensive to replace.  The water pump is one of them due to the amount of labour involved.  A good service record and rectification of any problems found, particularly advisories in MOT's good to know done.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

If car is being bought from Lexus dealership you will get a good warranty

Not on this one Barry. It's out of warranty on both age and mileage and I highly doubt that a Lexus dealer would sell one of that age and mileage anyway.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Laertes said:

Hi. I've wanted a Lexus for ages and I am going to look at a second-hand one tomorrow. It is a 450h from 2010, has done a bit less that 150k miles. Looks in excellent nick on the pics but is there anything in particular I should be looking for, checking for, asking about etc.

Many thanks

Welcome Laertes. Give us a link and we may be able to offer detailed advice for you.

14 hours ago, Herbie said:

Not on this one Barry. It's out of warranty on both age and mileage and I highly doubt that a Lexus dealer would sell one of that age and mileage anyway.

Oh yes, on reflection I am sure you are right.  I would expect that such a vehicle taken in by a Lexus dealer in part exchange would most probably be sent to auction.  

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Oh yes, on reflection I am sure you are right.  I would expect that such a vehicle taken in by a Lexus dealer in part exchange would most probably be sent to auction.  

Interestingly there are older cars for sale in Lexus dealerships. I think it was Sidcup had an RX 300 for sale! Not sure what sort of warranty came with it, possibly just a 1 year one?

• Like 2

They're not shy about selling older cars. It's one of the things that attracted me to Lexus, faith in their product. My IS300 was 15 years old when I bought it off Lexus Sheffield. Pretty sure Sytner BMW wouldn't put a 15 year old 3 series on their forecourt with a comprehensive 1 year warranty.

• Like 3

Here's the link, in French as I am buying in France. https://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occasion-annonce-87102074233.html

So the variant definitions are different to those used in the UK - no SE etc. "President pack" is broadly speaking the top of the line. It is from a second hand dealer who mostly sells much more expensive cars. 6 months warranty.

Given the headlights and steering wheel controls, it looks like this is the equivalent of the SE-L that was sold in the UK.

Looks like the car currently has no valid MOT.

If the spec includes the air suspension (it would on the UK equivalent), I would get this checked out carefully.

Some other points to consider:

- Spec mentions massaging seats. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't available on 2010 cars, whatever the country... could be wrong

- Test the infotainment system thoroughly: calibration and responsiveness of the screen, functionality (Back in the day, mine was replaced under warranty and a reconditioned unit cost several thousands)

- Check that the reversing camera and parking sensors works

- Check that the seats electric and memory functions work and that the seats slide all the way back and forth (memory seat function should include external mirror and steering wheel position)

- Check that the side camera (on passenger's side) works

- This model seems to have the radar cruise control... make sure that the front Lexus badge is not damaged (the radar sensor sits behind it) and that the system works correctly

- Mirrors should darken (including the internal mirror) when the sensor is covered. Both should also fold electronically. 

- All speakers should work, including the top dash one and the one in the boot

- You should have two keys (and a key card, assuming this was available in France, which I can't remember)

- Check that the rear door goes all the way up

- Check for water ingress in the boot

- check for uneven tyre wear

- This car has LED directional headlights as opposed to Xenon lamps. Make sure they all work as they cost a lot to replace.

- Check the aircon works

- CD is a 6 disc multichanger... make sure it works and that discs change and eject OK

- SatNav works from a disc reader in the boot (under the cover). Make sure it is not damaged.

- Petrol cap release can be temperamental on older cars... check it opens fine

I hope I'm right on the latter point: It's been a while since I owned a 400h and a 450h and it could be that I'm getting the two mixed up. Someone else will be able to confirm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Given the headlights and steering wheel controls, it looks like this is the equivalent of the SE-L that was sold in the UK.

I don't think it is. I can't see a button for ride height anywhere and I'm sure the SE-L would have both the Mark Levinson audio and also cooed as well as heated seats.

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

I don't think it is. I can't see a button for ride height anywhere and I'm sure the SE-L would have both the Mark Levinson audio and also cooed as well as heated seats.

Looks a bit like a frankenstein spec. Appears to have the LED lights like an SE-L, but lacking the rest of the goodies, memory function for passenger seat, extendable seat cushion, cooled seats ML audio, air suspension (probably better it doesn't have it). 

Spec wise car seems more like an SE-I which is still lovely.

If you do purchase it, good luck keeping those parchment mats clean in the winter!

As to what to look for, you may find the link below useful

Edited by Prince Bob

10 hours ago, Prince Bob said:

Looks a bit like a frankenstein spec. Appears to have the led lights like an SE-L, but lacking the rest of the goodies, memory function for passenger seat, extendable seat cushion, cooled seats ML audio, air suspension (probably better it doesn't have it). 

Spec wise car seems more like an SE-I which is still lovely.

If you do purchase it, good luck keeping those parchment mats clean in the winter!

As to what to look for, you may find the link below useful

I think this is because it is a French spec car. If it were in the UK, I'm guessing it would sit between the SE-I and the SE-L. I had an SE-I and the headlights were standard Xenon, not LED.