Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E10 New Petrol Grade from September 2021

Everyone should check on the government site if their car is compatible to avoid potential issues.- https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

More specifically, they say that IS250 made between August 2005 and September 2007 is NOT compatible with E10 petrol. Mine is '08 registered car, I'd have to find out when it was built to know for sure, but I only fill up with 99Momentum (if possible) as we have direct injection engine and carbon build up could be an issue. 97+Oct fuel, "SUPER Unleaded" will still be available, so it won't necessarily make any difference to me, but if anyone here fills up with standard 95 unleaded, you should check if you car can take it 🙂 

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 13.20.05.png

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 1:24 PM, H3XME said:

I only fill up with 99Momentum (if possible) as we have direct injection engine and carbon build up could be an issue.

The IS250 only has direct injection. Therefore it doesn't matter what fuel you use, none of it will wash over the intake valves to stop carbon build-up.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 4:31 PM, ColinBarber said:

The IS250 only has direct injection. Therefore it doesn't matter what fuel you use, none of it will wash over the intake valves to stop carbon build-up.

is it direct only? I was under the impression it was port & direct like my 86. 

1 hour ago, H3XME said:

is it direct only? I was under the impression it was port & direct like my 86. 

Unfortunately yes. The first few Toyota direct injection engines were direct only (D4), they then moved over to port & direct (D4-S).

The IS250 and series III GS300 are both D4 direct only engines.

My 250 was registered ( DVSA as it is now in UK) 21 Sep 2007, so I can safely say it was built ( in Japan!) Before September 2007, so Cannot (Should not!) take E10 according to the info in that link above ☹️
💷💷💷💷💷💷💷🙄

Would be interesting if one could find out what part(s) exactly are not compatible with E10 that were put in the IS250 from Aug 2005-Sep 2007 but then not!

26 minutes ago, Texas said:

Would be interesting if one could find out what part(s) exactly are not compatible with E10 that were put in the IS250 from Aug 2005-Sep 2007 but then not!

Definitely the high pressure fuel rails. Not sure about the injectors.

Also there was a change to the fuel pump in the tank.

Edited by ColinBarber

I sent an email to Lexus in America's head office when I was thinking of getting a Japanese import first gen Toyota Celsior. I asked them if the parts that were effected by ethanol could be replaced by ones that were resistant to it.

They replied quicker than I expected, but had no clue what I was talking about and told me they didn't deal with restoration work and that I shouldn't get a car from Japan. 🤣

It would be nice to know if these older cars could be fitted with parts that make them immune to the effects of ethanol. Or if cars made after 2011 as the government says are actually resistant to it.

The consipiracy theorist in me just makes me think they want to wreck reliable cars, and don't want anyone driving anything with over 100,000 miles on it.

Unless I have misunderstood this thread then it would seem that from Sep21 we (the pre Sep07 IS250 owners) will have to fill up with 99ron and pay an extra 10p+ a litre 😔 unless we wish to damage our cars ...

Hey Mo, plenty of links on here and elsewhere to help you understand. Up to you to check if your car's not compatible, but if it isn't, then your right! 😉

23 hours ago, Sundance said:

Hey Mo, plenty of links on here and elsewhere to help you understand. Up to you to check if your car's not compatible, but if it isn't, then your right! 😉

Thanks Sundance, I checked up and found that my one is not compatible 😞